A3 Jetta Core Support Differences

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1991 Toyota LandCruiser LJ78 with ALH Swap
Last weekend I had an unfortunate incident with a Bighorn Ram, resulting in the need for a new passenger fender, hood, core support, headlight, radiator and AC condenser for my '97 Jetta TDI. Luckily I have a lot of parts left over from when I parted out my last '97 Jetta, but still need to find the fender, hood and core support. I know the fender and hood are the same across models, but is there any difference between the core support for the various engine options in a MK3? For example, if I find someone parting out a 2.0 or VR6, would that core support bolt into my TDI?

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Excellent, that's exactly what I had hoped to hear. Gas engined models are a lot easier to find around here.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Golf / Jetta the same.... any Mk3 produced to 12/98 (sold as 99) are all the same.

All MK3 US core supports were metal, the Euro versions were plastic with built-in fan shrouds...

Steve

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf / Jetta the same.... any Mk3 produced to 12/98 (sold as 99) are all the same.

All MK3 US core supports were metal, the Euro versions were plastic with built-in fan shrouds...

Steve
Even better, I can expand my searches to include Golfs too!

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Found a core support and RH headlight assembly from a 1998 Wolfsburg Edition Jetta, they bolted right up! Just need to find a hood and grille now. The fender wasn't as bad as I thought, so I'll leave it unless I come across an undamaged one. I was surprised how easy it is to tear down the front end of a MK3.
Amazingly, the AC condenser wasn't punctured, but it was the same shape as the radiator. Both got replaced from the stash of parts I have left over from my previous '97 TDI.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Finding non-dented hoods and non-cracked grilles is getting harder by the day.
Absolutely. The car I got the core support from was complete, but had a big dent in the hood and a dent in the passenger fender, just like mine. The grille was busted up and held in with wire. I think I have a lead on a hood and grille, hopefully they're in decent shape.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Finding non-dented hoods and non-cracked grilles is getting harder by the day.
Finding body parts in general is getting tough, at least in the mid-west. I've been hunting for a 98-99 Mk3 white passenger fender for some time now to no avail.

Steve

garciapiano

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Jetta TDI (1Z)
There are pretty clean cars out here in the California junkyards. It’s one of the few (increasingly diminishing) benefits of living in this state.

I will keep an eye out for anything good if I come across one.

PradoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I've come across a few whole parts cars that people want to get rid of, but only one white one and it was rusty. The junkyard selection where I am is pretty sparse, and I don't want to deal with a whole car just to get a couple of parts. An ad on craigslist got me the core support and a lead on a hood, so hopefully it can turn up a fender too!

kzoc

Veteran Member
TDI
97 A3 Jetta 1.9 TDI, and 6 Volvo's!
Finding body parts in general is getting tough, at least in the mid-west. I've been hunting for a 98-99 Mk3 white passenger fender for some time now to no avail.

Steve
Did you lookout the WrenchAPart in Austin, TX? I'm off for the next 4 days and have time only hands...