Rear main seal replacement?

ticketed2much

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
So my DMF started making noise and I finally got around to pulling the trans. Thought I’d replace the rear main seal while I’m in there but woah, it looks like it is quite a job.

Do I really have to lock it at TDC from the belt side? I really don’t want to have to pull all that apart too. Maybe I’ll just the old one there since it’s not leaking. Car has 175k on it.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I've never had the pleasure of doing a rear main n on a BRM. I recall there is an easier way to do it posted by Franko6... Will search for it later

ticketed2much

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I've never had the pleasure of doing a rear main n on a BRM. I recall there is an easier way to do it posted by Franko6... Will search for it later
Thanks, it’s actually a CJAA, but procedure seems the same. Anything you find would be helpful. I’ve searched and found limited info!

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
You pretty well need the tool to set tdc properly. There's no flywheel mark on these cars - all set be the front timing belt pully to the front cover.

Tujeez

TDI
MK6 Golf
Ok thanks for the info. Not a lot of online info on them👍🏻
Did you end up getting this done? My mechanic says my rear main seal is leaking but I’m skeptical. I say it’s my oil filter housing and dripping down the front of the engine and running along the bottom of the engine.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
There is leakage and there is seepage.
More often than not I find that the oil tracks start from higher on the engine and make their way down behind the aluminum spacer to make it look like the seal is the origin.
I give the felt outer shaft barrier ring a slight squeeze to see if it is saturated before condemning the rear seal. Most of the time it is not.

When I do change the seal I remove the oil pan to feel good about the seal installation. That way I know that I did not scrape off the sealant that should be on the seal’s bottom surface. That is the Bentley way.

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Oops! Forgot that the felt ring is not accessible on a BRM or CR engine with the sensor ring in place. ^