2015 Passat Fuel Door Issues.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
OK, I have a '15 Passat TDI and the fuel door decides to not open when pressed (press door to open press door to close...no interior door "release" button). When I fuel up I have to pry it open with a wrapped (to protect paint) screw driver or slim pry. It then will open and close normally, until the next time I need fuel. I've cleaned and lubed that little rotating plunger which has not helped. Appears to be fairly common, only because there is much info out there on the web about it.
Does anyone have a tried and true remedy for this? Does it come down to replacing the fuel door assembly as the only cure? T.I.A.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Sounds like the motor for the locking mechanism is faulty. If be just leave it in the unlocked position and unplug the motor, or replace the motor for the door.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
Sounds like the motor for the locking mechanism is faulty. If be just leave it in the unlocked position and unplug the motor, or replace the motor for the door.
Motor?? It's not electric interior release. You push door to open, you push door to close. It's a mechanical plastic plunger with a "T" that rotates a 1/4 turn with each push...door closed, you push and T rotates and door opens. Door open, you push door to close and T rotates again.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
I'll be darn....removed door/filler splash assembly...plunger box has a wire to it...***? Thought it was a simple mechanical mechanism....looked and felt like it. Why is there a motor? Is there a secret release?
Can anyone give insight as to how to access where the wire goes? From filler opening it goes into a blind panel, it feels open from below though. Is access from trunk behind liner or from below by removing rear inner fender well...it seems VW likes to put everything behind those fender liners....changing foglight bulbs, for example, is a pain in the A$$

EDIT: Good info on youtube...and it may help others that hae this issue. Plus a nice tip to use a string "fish" instead of removing inner fender liner:

2017 VW Passat RLine Fuel Door Locking Actuator Replacement - Bing video

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
There is also an electrical mechanism that locks the door when the car is locked. Unlocks when the car is unlocked. To stop thieves. The push to open only works when the car is unlocked. Two different systems.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
There is also an electrical mechanism that locks the door when the car is locked. Unlocks when the car is unlocked. To stop thieves. The push to open only works when the car is unlocked. Two different systems.
OK, so when car is locked (in say a parking lot or otherwise unattended) fuel door is locked to prevent fuel theft? Got it....

c3kTDi

TDI
2015 Passat
I just checked mine...it USED to lock the filler door when the car was locked, but now it does not.

Guess it's time to look into it. Grr.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
From the inside of the trunk, pull back the trunk lining, you'll fine a two wire connector, once you know the door actuator is unlocked, disconnect it. The functionality of popping the door by pressing it will still work, it just won't lock.

This applies to mk7 Golfs as well.

bustNfuel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold: 13 Passat SEL TDI
I replaced my fuel door lock solenoid a couple years ago. Long enough that I forgot most of the details, but it wasn't that big of a deal.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
precisive persuasion.

I did try lock and unlock multiple times an eventually got it. biggest thing, once it's unlocked, disconnect the friggin connector, and you'll never have an issue again.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
Yes this is one of those things that drives me nuts... when was the last time you heard about someone trying to siphon diesel? Same thing with the wheel locks... is there really a huge demand for factory wheels? Hadnt thought about this one... disconnection happening this weekend.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
My friends 2014 fuel door won't open by pushing on it. How do you get the fuel door open in this case ?
As alluded to above, in the trunk, pull back the carpeting or whatever liner is in there and you'll eventually get to see the actuator / solenoid that controls the locking function of that release. If it was me, I'd probably go the route of the folks above here and just disconnect the wiring once unlocked.

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
So....... my friend had to return a part to the local stealership. He was going to make an appointment to have the "mechanic" look at it.... and.... when he and the service writer looked at the car, the flap was already open. Go figure.

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
Well boys my Passat fuel door lock acted up last night, got it to unlock and disconnected the motor lock.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That kind of post is usually preceded earlier in the thread by a bold "well, it's never happened to my car, but..." :D
Good that you already had a plan of action in place.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Our '12 went about 4 years before the fuel door became and issue, I didn't give our '15 a chance to go that long.

I also disabled auto lock feature, not many car jackings above 10mph around here, I hope that lengthens the door lock modules a few more years than our old mk5.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
My friends 2014 fuel door won't open by pushing on it. How do you get the fuel door open in this case ?
Credit card works fine as a pry.....

Good point on disabling the auto lock feature.....above 9mph it might be entertaining to watch a car jacker make the attempt....I'm tuned....LOL

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I always assumed it was more to (ostensibly) protect against intrusion while stopped at a light or in traffic once you're out/about driving.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If only there was a way to disable auto-lock on the fuel door, while keep it enabled for the actual doors.... :p