MN Chat Thread

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Did you go this past year? I ran in 5 events. Placed in two of them with a vr6 Jetta :cool:
man!, That was you? I was cheering for ya the whole time! had no idea. You pulled ahead real fast in a couple of those, and were letting the thing scream!!! I watched some friends run in there with trucks and cars. I did the redneck races in mora, but blew my $250 HHR up in the practice lap🤬. Dropped the piston into the crank. The piston looked like ground sludge when I dropped the oil pan.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
man!, That was you? I was cheering for ya the whole time! had no idea. You pulled ahead real fast in a couple of those, and were letting the thing scream!!! I watched some friends run in there with trucks and cars. I did the redneck races in mora, but blew my $250 HHR up in the practice lap🤬. Dropped the piston into the crank. The piston looked like ground sludge when I dropped the oil pan.
1st gear the whole race, foot to the floor bouncing off the rev limiter. so much fun. :cool:

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
1st gear the whole race, foot to the floor bouncing off the rev limiter. so much fun. :cool:

noice! not even 2nd gear a little? lol. I remember the scream, is it just header dump or how did you get it so loud? It had a nice sound to it.
I need another loud beater car in my life. My brother used to have a 98 grand am and we used to roll past the pizza pub in Princeton in the evening and bounce off the rev limiter the whole way past, and watch everyone cheer and raise their drinks lol. fun summer nights!

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Sell the hitch from my 2002. Gotta get working on my 1986 Ford F-350

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

indigoTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen
So - someone added 2-ethylhexyl nitrate to the DEF tank 200 miles ago. What’s the damage done?
signed… LessThan Happy

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
dunno how well it'll mix (in your flushing attempt), being that DEF is water based and cetane booster dissolves into oily stuff good
like how you have a hard time washing glycol out of an oil pan with engine oil, gotta add alcohol to get it to mix better

How hard is the DEF tank to drop out and wash out with soap water? Might be worthwhile to unplug the dosing pump and drive it to where you can get that done.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
How hard is the DEF tank to drop out and wash out with soap water? Might be worthwhile to unplug the dosing pump and drive it to where you can get that done.
Not that bad to drop out. Pretty challenging to be able to clean every nook and cranny.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Not that bad to drop out. Pretty challenging to be able to clean every nook and cranny.
I'd just want to be able to shake some soap water in there, that's pretty much all a dishwasher does and they can get some very dirty things very clean.
rinse the soap out real well, and the little bit of water left won't affect the DEF appreciably

I'd just be worried about the oily cetane booster causing the urea to drop out, like it reportedly does when DEF accidentally goes into the fuel tank

DrDingDong

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
Does anyone know of a good TDI mechanic in Duluth? I'm about due for a timing belt and a DSG service and have heard bad things about the local VW dealership.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Anyone have a mk4 O2J transmission that is in good working condition their willing to sell?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
I have a CTN code (a3/b4) that you could have for free that I was told was in good working order by PO. Someone much more knowledgeable than I would need to determine if this would work on your car.

A VERY old post by Frank06 had reasonably priced trannys avail. No idea if he still has them ur current pricing.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I have a CTN code (a3/b4) that you could have for free that I was told was in good working order by PO. Someone much more knowledgeable than I would need to determine if this would work on your car.
hey Scott - mk3 trans mounting isn't compatible unfortunately.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
hey Scott - mk3 trans mounting isn't compatible unfortunately.
Bummer, let me know if I should bring it next time you work on my car, if you or anybody you know would make use of it.

Nick, Not sure if you saw my last email but hoping to get in with you sometime soon when you have time.

Happy holidays everyone!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Bummer, let me know if I should bring it next time you work on my car, if you or anybody you know would make use of it.
iirc they got the 3.16 ratio ring and pinion, so there is some value there to guys with the newer transmissions too

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
That is a fact. I wish I knew more about, and had tools to take on such a swap.
cheers,
Douglas
doesn't look that difficult, nowhere near as much a dark-art as swapping hypoid gears
pretty much disassemble, mix and match parts, reassemble

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Those shafts should have some pre-load...esp if they're running tapered rollers...but I have no idea what sort of bearings is in this beast.

Funny thing is I thought of hypoid stuff the same way until I got shown how to do it...LOL

Douglas

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Funny thing is I thought of hypoid stuff the same way until I got shown how to do it...LOL
way easy with factory gears that generally pattern good with the original shim packs
setting up from scratch, little more annoying and involved, especially where the shims are underneath the inner races

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
After searching for month for clean MK4/non rusty Tdi, it’s kind of getting impossible to find one in the area that hasn’t been been heavily modified. The few that I found like are really $$$. Really tempted to used my German connections and import MK3 Tdi wagon. Should have kept the white wagon.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
After searching for month for clean MK4/non rusty Tdi, it’s kind of getting impossible to find one in the area that hasn’t been been heavily modified. The few that I found like are really $$$. Really tempted to used my German connections and import MK3 Tdi wagon. Should have kept the white wagon.
Just bite the boolit and head south. In SE Michigan, they're all a bit second hand. Son's lived most of its live in Atlanta, mine in Florida, and the most recent acq was a one-owner from NC. 145, 70 and 172k miles respectively.
cheers,
Douglas