Injectors...1z/AHU vs. ALH

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
HI 1Z gurus

Can anyone tell me the difference (if any) in performance of the later (ALH) injectors if used on my 1Z?
I have a chance to pick up some ALH injectors and wondered if there's any difference between them? also, I ASSUME they are perfect fit, replacement-wise... am I right?

thanks,
Steve

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
Ahu/1z uses same injectors as alh (with some slight modification alh injector pumps also fit - same exact Injection system and programming basically). There might be an immeasurable difference between them, and automatics uses .184 size, manual .177 iirc, on both alh and ahu here. So no point. What would be good to do is get new, larger injectors and ideally a re-tune for them.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Ahu/1z uses same injectors as alh (with some slight modification alh injector pumps also fit - same exact Injection system and programming basically). There might be an immeasurable difference between them, and automatics uses .184 size, manual .177 iirc, on both alh and ahu here. So no point. What would be good to do is get new, larger injectors and ideally a re-tune for them.
Correct me if I'm wrong but I thought the ALH AT cars used the 11mm IP with the smaller of the two injectors? The MT cars got the 10mm IP but the larger sized injectors.

Again I could be wrong but that's what I remember anyway....

Steve

Houpty GT

Veteran Member
TDI
Corrado TDI, 2000 Golf, 1996 B4 Variant
Right on, Burp. I have seen the quality of used injector nozzles out of an AHU have much better pressures than any used ALH. The AHU injectors tend to show uneven spray patterns though. For better or worse, I would guess it relates to changes in manufacturing. These are a wear item so nozzles need to be replaced anyway. I have read 100,000 miles on stock nozzles and 200,000 miles on Bosio. Bottom line, there is no benefit to ALH injectors but they make excellent spares.
The modifications to fit the ALH injection pump require special machining so it is not just slight.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Yah I could have gotten the .177 and .184 mixed around. But either way it's a minuscule difference. The 11mm pump however, is an excellent choice over the 10mm if your 10mm ever needs to be replaced

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
thanks all...

I'm just talking about the injectors... not the pump. I may use these as cores, or spares to keep in the car for emergencies.

I have sn 11mm pump, sitting on a shelf I plan to use SOMEtime if and when my current pump ever fails.

thanks again!
Steve

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
For cores, they’ll be fine. Just be sure you get the rectangular plug on the #3 vs. the oval.

-Todd

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
thanks all...

I'm just talking about the injectors... not the pump. I may use these as cores, or spares to keep in the car for emergencies.

I have sn 11mm pump, sitting on a shelf I plan to use SOMEtime if and when my current pump ever fails.

thanks again!
Steve
True...but it was mentioned only because others may read this thread and take away from it that 1) it either makes no difference which car they buy injectors from or 2) that the AT cars got the same injectors as MT, and they didn't.

It's common knowledge that you really are better off with the injectors from the MT car and the IP from an AT car. People do sell what they claim to be 'good' injectors sometimes. Or at the least ones that they've cleaned ultrasonically.

If you're just going for spares to have serviced then yes, it makes no difference because the people doing the injector service will handle it.

Steve

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
The chance of having an injector failure is so remote, it would be pointless to carry one around as a spare :) it would probably just get ruined from sitting before it was ever needed anyway.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Third injector connector on an '03 ALH is different than earlier cars. If you want to use an '03 injector in your 1Z you'll have to swap the car side connector to the later version. All other ALH years are fine.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
The chance of having an injector failure is so remote, it would be pointless to carry one around as a spare :) it would probably just get ruined from sitting before it was ever needed anyway.
People carry spares, people reuse things when they need to, people clean injectors too, and when you carry a spare you just shield the nozzle tip with a small section of rubber tubing. This isn't a debate about whether someone reuses an injector or not but about the perpetuation of incorrect information.

I'm not trying to pick a fight with someone about something inconsequential, but we should strive to provide accurate information when we can.

Steve

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
Just saying.... The chance of an injector failure is so soooo remote, especially compared to all else that could go wrong, you might as well have spares of all kinds of other things and all the tools to use them. You'd be travelling around with a full car!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
you might as well have spares of all kinds of other things and all the tools to use them. You'd be travelling around with a full car!
I agree with this. I have AAA and 100 miles of tow coverage, when something goes wrong. Thankfully, I rarely have to use it and I’m always under 100 miles, when I do.

-Todd

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
I agree... I've only had injectors "fail" on my old 1.6 IDI's and that was usually just dirty,(I use WVO in those) and could have been fixed by running a can of DieselPurge through them.
That said, I'll still carry an extra set for my long road trips (X-country, or into Mexico, etc).
I use the protective end caps that Drive by Wire sent with the rebuilt/calibrated set i purchased from him years back.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
I’ve found that the power difference between auto and manual injectors to be the equivalent of upgrading to a 11mm pump. It is very much noticeable.