Blinking GPL + code P1247. intermittent low power. 3rd injector measures 190ohm. edit: SOLVED

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
1996 B4V. I have begun intermittently loosing power (feels like loss of turbo boost pressure). My Glow Plug Light started blinking, and I retrieved CEL code P1247. My brake lights are all working correctly. When I measured the 3rd injector's resistance at the ECU, pins #11 (grey) & #12 (blue), I got varying numbers, mostly around 190ohms. (This was with the engine slightly warm... about 30 minutes after it had run for about 10 minutes on a warm day.) When I tested the resistance at the 3rrd injector, disconnected from the 'brown plug', the numbers were similar, but fluxuated from 190ohm to 140 ohm as I wiggled the wires. You can see in the photo I removed the sheathing to observe for damaged wires; I thought I had a short, but the wires tested good, with no breaks indicated when testing them.

I then tapped on the #3 injector with a screwdriver handle while observing resistance and it immediately dropped from 180ohm to 109ohm.

It looks to me like the 3rd injector sensor is failing, or at least sticking. Any thoughts?

Also,
I have been REALLY REALLY REALLY wanting to upgrade my injectors to .520's, turbo + chip with EGR delete to a stage 2-3 tune. Or something like that.
I don't want my desire to upgrade with a 'tune' influence my diagnostics. I have been struggling financially recently so upgrading my daily driver wagon has been pushed back to a lower priority.

Does this look like it's finally time to do it? Are the recommendations for a tune? I had planned on going with Kerma, any thoughts or recommendations there?
Thanks!

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Any reason you’re taking the reading from the ECU? I’ve always done it from the brown plug, but I suppose you verify the entire harness. I’d think you need a replacement #3. It should read between 80-120, and be pretty stable.

-Todd

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
Any reason you’re taking the reading from the ECU? I’ve always done it from the brown plug, but I suppose you verify the entire harness. I’d think you need a replacement #3. It should read between 80-120, and be pretty stable.
-Todd
I tested from the plug and from the ECU while testing the injector & wiring harness.
Thanks Todd!

Phi1osopher

Veteran Member
TDI
'96 B4V TDI Passat Wagon
After diagnosing the problem as failed sensor on my number three injector, I replaced the injectors with upgraded ones from KermaTDI.
The upgrades post is HERE.

That fixed it.

Last edited: