What did you do to your MKIV today?

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Thanks. I had actually already found all the other parts in new condition except for this one and the dead pedal (but since the dead pedal takes such a beating, I haven't really been looking.) The only used one in my car was the driver's door handle, and until now I had been using the best one I could find on eBay which was still pretty dented and dinged. I even went as far as adding a GLI handbrake with the "satin" button, and a Lupo light switch with the brushed looked. I cheated a little and also added the chrome-tipped window controls and fuel/trunk release buttons in the driver's door. There's also a company in Germany that makes illuminated shifters, and you can select a brushed look for those too. And, there's a guy on eBay who makes brushed aluminum levers for the armrest door (out of actual aluminum.) Oh, and I got a brushed sideview mirror switch from Litke.
I just looked over you Jetta from that link below, man it looks amazing. Keep up the good work. I might steel some ideas from that tread of yours.

Thank you
SAM

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Changed reman starter out for new eBay one, still no start. Changed ignition switch, starts right up. Also snapped the negative battery cable tightening bolt... pair of small vice grips pinching terminal together temporarily till I visit a junkyard....

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Drove my wagon for the first time in two weeks today. Tired of it smoking, so I'm driving it less til the replacement engine is ready.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Changed reman starter out for new eBay one, still no start. Changed ignition switch, starts right up. Also snapped the negative battery cable tightening bolt... pair of small vice grips pinching terminal together temporarily till I visit a junkyard....
i went through the same a while back. Frustrating.

I gave up eventually and bought a new t-bolt from the dealer. We don’t have many good junk yards around here.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
Replaced my front brake pads with some Halten Low-Metallic pads from IDParts. First time doing this job in about 10 years, went pretty smooth over all. Some idiot broke the head off of both rotor set screws, so when I go to replace pads + rotors next time I'll had to pickup a screw extractor kit and the set screws if I can find them.

The passenger side pads wouldn't clip in securely without a little finagling - is that normal? The driver's side pads clipped in nice and secure, no problem. I was able to adjust the spring clips well enough for the outer pad, but the inner pad really refused to clip in securely. I figured it would be fine after some spirited braking.

Also tried to install my new OEM mud flaps, however I was unable to remove the fender liner. These two screws seemed to have stripped whatever they screw into. I'll see if I can find the parts online to replace before I try to get in there again.

I did manage to remove about 1 liter of dirt & debris from behind the fender line before reinstalling it.

Final "fun thing":

Looks like the shop who did my suspension last week ****ed something up. Looks like bearing grease? Black from a distance, green in the light. It's surrounding the CV Boot, but also seems to have been flung all over the wheel well:

Will email them the pics, and give them a call Monday morning.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I tried to fix my frostheater. Was working for a few days then quit. Found the wires going to the heater are burnt now. The wires crumbled right off. So now I'm going to take a frost heater off a parts car and install it. But they are a different set up. One is a circulating heater and the one on parts car is connected to the oil cooler.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd

Looks like the shop who did my suspension last week ****ed something up. Looks like bearing grease? Black from a distance, green in the light. It's surrounding the CV Boot, but also seems to have been flung all over the wheel well:

Will email them the pics, and give them a call Monday morning.
Looks like cv joint grease. Your boot even looks funny as the fold nearest the wheel looks odd. Like that boot is constructed in 2 pieces, which I've never seen before.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Had a good ole time working on the '02 Jetta's manual swap. Engine and trans out, clutch and flywheel on. Final list of stuff to get from IDParts( among them a timing belt kit). Wiring in the meantime... :)
cheers,
Douglas

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Looks like cv joint grease. Your boot even looks funny as the fold nearest the wheel looks odd. Like that boot is constructed in 2 pieces, which I've never seen before.
I just watched some YouTube videos and checked out the parts from ID. It looks a lot like they removed the retention clip on the boot and just forgot to put it back on. That, or perhaps it just fell off?

Is there any reason to remove the CV boot when replacing shocks, struts, control arm bushings, and tie rods?

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I just watched some YouTube videos and checked out the parts from ID. It looks a lot like they removed the retention clip on the boot and just forgot to put it back on. That, or perhaps it just fell off?

Is there any reason to remove the CV boot when replacing shocks, struts, control arm bushings, and tie rods?
No reason at all To touch the boot. One may Drive the outer cv joint out of the wheel bearing to get the ball joint out of the LCA, though it’s not necessary if you also remove the ball joint stud from the wheel bearing housing. Were the ball joints also replaced?

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Drove my wagon for the first time in two weeks today. Tired of it smoking, so I'm driving it less til the replacement engine is ready.
Why is it smoking? Worn out rings?
Mine smokes more now with the stage 3 tune. Which they did warn me it would. I only thought it would be while getting on the throttle though.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
No reason at all To touch the boot. One may Drive the outer cv joint out of the wheel bearing to get the ball joint out of the LCA, though it’s not necessary if you also remove the ball joint stud from the wheel bearing housing. Were the ball joints also replaced?
No, I don't believe they did the ball joints (although I asked them too, it didn't show up on the work order). May have been a simple coincidence then - still, hard to miss something like this, and would've been easy to throw in a boot kit and charge me an extra $100. I may just order the parts on ID and do it myself.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
No, I don't believe they did the ball joints (although I asked them too, it didn't show up on the work order). May have been a simple coincidence then - still, hard to miss something like this, and would've been easy to throw in a boot kit and charge me an extra $100. I may just order the parts on ID and do it myself.
Just an FYI, rebooting the outer CV joint is a PITA. I haven't done a VW yet, but I've done plenty on other cars. It can be hard to get that outer joint off the axle - the worst part of the job. Cleaning the innards isn't too bad- I've always completely disassembled them but I'm not sure that is really recommended as the balls/race/cage are no longer matched up. It's certainly a dirty job.

edit: I saw this method - I'll have to give this a try next time .

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
If the boot is intact (kinda looks like it in the photo) I'd be tempted to just inject some grease, replace the clamp, and call it good. I have even seen heavy cable ties used instead of the proper clamp - not necessarily recommending it, but have seen them work.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Why is it smoking? Worn out rings?
Mine smokes more now with the stage 3 tune. Which they did warn me it would. I only thought it would be while getting on the throttle though.
I have a few things probably causing it, like a cylinder head with 360+k miles on it, plus garbage injectors. Just doing a shotgun repair at this point due to the desire to keep the car for a long time.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Just an FYI, rebooting the outer CV joint is a PITA. I haven't done a VW yet, but I've done plenty on other cars. It can be hard to get that outer joint off the axle - the worst part of the job. Cleaning the innards isn't too bad- I've always completely disassembled them but I'm not sure that is really recommended as the balls/race/cage are no longer matched up. It's certainly a dirty job.

edit: I saw this method - I'll have to give this a try next time .
It looks like replacing the whole axle with a new one would be an easier job, but a new OEM axle is pretty expensive. Man that is a great video - love his sense of humor.

If the boot is intact (kinda looks like it in the photo) I'd be tempted to just inject some grease, replace the clamp, and call it good. I have even seen heavy cable ties used instead of the proper clamp - not necessarily recommending it, but have seen them work.
I think that might be the move. I'm kind of hoping the shop will tell me tomorrow morning "oh yea, our bad" and take care of it, but I'm not crossing my fingers.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Mounted the G60/VR6 clutch. Tested the disc centering by mating up the trans. It mated smoothly. Needed a 9mm, 12-point, so un-mate, torque and then put it back together( once a new pivot bearing gets in ). Probably loctiting them too... :)

Douglas

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
I completed installing the zerostart from my 5 speed parts car into my 5 speed swapped automatic alh. Why does it seem like there's a lot less room? It's really unfortunate that vw had to make the autos and manuals so much different. I'm discovering new things all the time. It appears the coolant hoses are also different.

I got the thing installed but it might be a little questionable. It's resting on a power steering line and sort of wedged between the starter and the rad fan.

I couldn't figure out another way to install without kinking hoses. There appears to be an extra hose on the automatics that goes to the back of the engine. And that's the problem hose. What a mess.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
It looks like replacing the whole axle with a new one would be an easier job, but a new OEM axle is pretty expensive. Man that is a great video - love his sense of humor.
That's why shops just replace the whole axle - much easier. Trouble is, a lot of new and rebuilt axles are junk anymore.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
That's why shops just replace the whole axle - much easier. Trouble is, a lot of new and rebuilt axles are junk anymore.
Yea, that totally makes sense.

I ended up ordering a boot kit from ID Parts with 2-day shipping. I'll clean up a bit to see what I'm working with, and if the boot is intact, and the innards are clean, I'll squirt some grease in there and close it up with the new clamp. If not, I'll do the whole job.

I'm not certain, but I think the shop told me this axle isn't oem. Hoping to get this patched up for now, then I'll replace the axle sometime next year. I'll have to do some more reading before replacing the axle, but I am pretty confident I can do the job.

Any thoughts on the axles sold at ID Parts? They have OEM at ~ $300, and what look like high quality aftermarket (GKN or Febi-Bilstein) for about ~$70. Febi-Bilstein sure makes some nice parts, but I'm not sure about axles. Then again, $70 + an alignment is a hell of a lot more attractive than $300 + an alignment.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Could always get a good core from the wrecking yard then rebuild it, significantly cheaper.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Any thoughts on the axles sold at ID Parts? They have OEM at ~ $300, and what look like high quality aftermarket (GKN or Febi-Bilstein) for about ~$70. Febi-Bilstein sure makes some nice parts, but I'm not sure about axles. Then again, $70 + an alignment is a hell of a lot more attractive than $300 + an alignment.
If you can pop the ball joint out, you won't need to realign it. That might give you enough clearance to get the axle out. Then again, you can do the alignment yourself too - there's only toe to deal with.

Regarding axles on ID parts - I don't have firsthand knowledge. I needed inner joints and bought GKN inners from them and 'rebuilt' my original axles. I haven't needed to replace an outer yet, but I did buy one as a spare (also GKN brand).

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Installed the parking brake return springs from IDParts. Now my left rear caliper releases when I lower the parking brake handle.

I still haven't used the parking brake in the wild, for fear that it might not release where it's convenient to crawl underneath and knock it back into place, but this weekend I'll give it an overnight test and see how it fares.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
If you can pop the ball joint out, you won't need to realign it. That might give you enough clearance to get the axle out. Then again, you can do the alignment yourself too - there's only toe to deal with.

Regarding axles on ID parts - I don't have firsthand knowledge. I needed inner joints and bought GKN inners from them and 'rebuilt' my original axles. I haven't needed to replace an outer yet, but I did buy one as a spare (also GKN brand).
How are the quality of the boots on the GKN rebuilds? Oem ones are nice, but some of the aftermarket ones last a year then are toast. I unfortunately know from personal experience...