What did you do to your MKIV today?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Visited the Pick-n-Pull on Monday. I found two damage GLI center caps. I’ll clean them up for garage decoration.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I got fed up with chasing a slow oil leak that I never seem to locate on my engine, which keeps soaking the torque member bushings (dogbone) and killing the rubber.
Just on a lark, decided to buy a set of the Energy Suspension urethane inserts, and installed them yesterday. Definitely a little buzzy/shaky compared to the rubber bushings, but other than at dead idle, not all that bad.

Now to see how it goes after a few days, weeks, a month... It may yet drive me to distraction, or it may push actually locating that oil leak (and whatever starts buzzing in my left rear seat area!)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Not my MKIV (although I do subsidize it to some extent) and not me (my guru; I subsidize him, too), but my son's Golf is getting a new head and turbo. Turbo failed at 423K and when my guru pulled it there's signinficant oiling in the exhaust ports, indicating that the valve guides and seals are pretty worn, too. Not a suprise, but we'd hoped to get away with just the turbo swap.

My son and I had a discussion about the logic in fixing a 19 year old car that's approaching a half million miles, but other than this problem it's operating at 100%. Has remarkably little rust (fenders replaced a couple years ago), everything else in the car is up to date, including new tires and brakes this Spring, and suspension about a year ago. Reparing is better than parting it out, and besides, there's nothing to buy right now. He loves the car, so there's that, too.

braddies

Veteran Member
TDI
03 golf ALH
Figured out my alignment issue, inner tierod is loose on the brand new rack. Gotta take the boot off and tighten and reseal the boot and get Another alignment🤒. Would have been easier to do BEFORE installing it but thought the factory would have torqued it on

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I got fed up with chasing a slow oil leak that I never seem to locate on my engine, which keeps soaking the torque member bushings (dogbone) and killing the rubber.
Just on a lark, decided to buy a set of the Energy Suspension urethane inserts, and installed them yesterday. Definitely a little buzzy/shaky compared to the rubber bushings, but other than at dead idle, not all that bad.

Now to see how it goes after a few days, weeks, a month... It may yet drive me to distraction, or it may push actually locating that oil leak (and whatever starts buzzing in my left rear seat area!)
I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I started with a powerflex diesel insert. Didn't notice much difference at all. Then I decided to replace the small bushing with a black powerflex one. That made more of a difference. I have noticed that it does vibrate slightly more now, but barely noticeable. However, it actually seems to shift easier.

Hyde7278

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GL
Visited the Pick-n-Pull on Monday. I found two damage GLI center caps. I’ll clean them up for garage decoration.

Somebody in the clasified ads are looking for some of those if your looking to sell or want to help some one out. hears the link

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I did the same thing a few weeks ago. I started with a powerflex diesel insert. Didn't notice much difference at all. Then I decided to replace the small bushing with a black powerflex one. That made more of a difference. I have noticed that it does vibrate slightly more now, but barely noticeable. However, it actually seems to shift easier.
What and where are the Powerflex diesel inserts? Not one I knew of...

I was noticing that my car was taking off easier, nothing more than a slight chirp if I romp on the throttle.
Earlier in the week, if I romped on it, I'd get a few chirps and lurches, likely hammering the engine against the limits of the failing dogbone bushings.
It's also possibly a little more stable going down the road, which I suspect the engine torquing around kept giving it some random toe adjustments on the fly.
(An alignment shop a few years ago prompted the prior dogbone bushing change, when they pointed out how much it was moving, and changing the toe alignment.)

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
What and where are the Powerflex diesel inserts? Not one I knew of...

I was noticing that my car was taking off easier, nothing more than a slight chirp if I romp on the throttle.
Earlier in the week, if I romped on it, I'd get a few chirps and lurches, likely hammering the engine against the limits of the failing dogbone bushings.
It's also possibly a little more stable going down the road, which I suspect the engine torquing around kept giving it some random toe adjustments on the fly.
(An alignment shop a few years ago prompted the prior dogbone bushing change, when they pointed out how much it was moving, and changing the toe alignment.)
I found it on ebay. Darkside also has them, and actually gives you details on them. Powerflex's website unfortunately doesn't give much info. The red bushing, which is rated as a diesel version, is actually the softest one. Still stiffer than stock though. The yellow insert is even stiffer and recommended for modified diesels or gas engines. I believe they make a purple one also. And they make the black one which is nearly solid. Only recommended for racing.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Filled the tank. My MPGs improved from 42-43 to 45.7. I had installed the brake return spring and did a Diesel Purge when the fuel gauge was indicating about half a tank left (less than half in reality). So I'm not sure which one--or a combination--resulted in the improvement. I'm leaning toward the brake return spring, though.

Next tank I'm expecting closer to 48 MPGs. We will see.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My son's Golf is getting its new head and turbo today. The bottom end looks excellent: rods are straight, bores are clean and smooth, and the pistons have stars when cleaned up:

Chris (Kraftwerke) says the lips of the bowls aren't worn, a good sign that it hasn't been over-fueled at any point.

This engine is bone stock except for .205 injectors, which we installed because the originals were old and the pump didn't seem to be moving as much fuel as it should. I guess these engines last pretty well when left alone.

The head was leaking oil through the valve guides and seals like crazy. The turbo is coked up from that, and we think it may have stopped boosting because the vanes were carboned up from all that oil. It's still getting a new one.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon GL TDI 5-Speed Baltic Green
The wagon is still in the shop, but should be done today. Here's how it's sitting with the Koni Special Actives, ID Parts Lift Springs, and Evolution 1-inch lift kit.

Unfortunately, the shop says the rear lift is too much for the rear shocks, and they're maxing out. They're going to try again without the rear spacers and get back to me.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
That's pretty tall in the back. Looks nice, though. I also like that color a lot.
Thanks! I wish she was more of a looker - some body damage from the prior owner that's probably not worth repairing. The color was the final straw for me when I saw it was available for sale. Hard to beat a manual diesel wagon in my favorite color! It's got some minor paint issues, I may end up repainting it eventually - but I do love the Baltic Green.

Picked her up today, straight from the sublet tire shop that did the alignment. The shop was going to let it sit at the tire shop all weekend, but worked with me to let me pick it up just before 5pm.

They ended up installing the strut spacers, but not the shock spacers. Here's the final ride height, both at the shop and once in my possession again.

Love that little sticker, IBW.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Thanks for representing on the other coast. And ride height looks good. Tall, but good. How did the alignment come out? My son's Golf, lifted 2", shows slight positive camber in front.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Thanks! I wish she was more of a looker - some body damage from the prior owner that's probably not worth repairing. The color was the final straw for me when I saw it was available for sale. Hard to beat a manual diesel wagon in my favorite color! It's got some minor paint issues, I may end up repainting it eventually - but I do love the Baltic Green.

Picked her up today, straight from the sublet tire shop that did the alignment. The shop was going to let it sit at the tire shop all weekend, but worked with me to let me pick it up just before 5pm.

They ended up installing the strut spacers, but not the shock spacers. Here's the final ride height, both at the shop and once in my possession again.

Love that little sticker, IBW.
Looks good! Definitely too high before but looks right now. Just need some ham radio antennas on the top :)

Last edited:

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
My son's Golf is getting its new head and turbo today. The bottom end looks excellent: rods are straight, bores are clean and smooth, and the pistons have stars when cleaned up:

Chris (Kraftwerke) says the lips of the bowls aren't worn, a good sign that it hasn't been over-fueled at any point.

This engine is bone stock except for .205 injectors, which we installed because the originals were old and the pump didn't seem to be moving as much fuel as it should. I guess these engines last pretty well when left alone.

The head was leaking oil through the valve guides and seals like crazy. The turbo is coked up from that, and we think it may have stopped boosting because the vanes were carboned up from all that oil. It's still getting a new one.
Whenever I see the block face with the head off, I'm surprised to see cutter marks. In my reading, MLS gaskets only have a coating sufficient for a 1 mil surface defect, and need a certain finish. To me it seems even from the factory it doesn't meet those specs. Must just be a visual thing. Can you ask Chris if he puts the HG on dry?

I'll likely be doing a HG on my 01' Beetle before the end of the year. My wrist is still messed up after 3 months of healing, but it seems strong enough to do a HG. No way I can do a clutch for a long while.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for representing on the other coast. And ride height looks good. Tall, but good. How did the alignment come out? My son's Golf, lifted 2", shows slight positive camber in front.
I'm pretty ok with it - I liked the higher rear end, honestly, but I'm good with how it sits. I'm planning on one of your Curt hitches and a roof basket in the not-too-distant future, so the rear will definitely get loaded down.

I can post the alignment results later - car definitely rides a lot smoother now. I still hear a very slight "wub wub" when coming to a stop, which I had chalked up to uneven tire wear on my second-hand tires. It may actually be the front pads & rotors though - the shop mentioned I was "metal on metal." Looks like I'll be making another ID Parts order soon!

Anyone have an opinion on Fremax vs. Zimmerman rotors? Gonna go for the Akebono pads.

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
I am running fremax front rotors currently, no complaints.
I put them on at 308k, now have 382k, still no shudder or vibration while braking, nor have I had any complaints about inadequate brake grip.

They went through a set of oem VW pads in around 50k, and now are 30k into another set.

Last edited:

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
I heard that metal on metal sound from the front driver's side yesterday, apparently the pad detached from the backing plate before the sensor wore through.

It was a TRW pad. I had a set of nearly new pads from a parts car on hand to swap in. Zimmerman rotors are still in good shape.

kennethsime

Veteran Member
TDI
I am running fremax front rotors currently, no complaints.
I put them on at 308k, now have 382k, still no shudder or vibration while braking, nor have I had any complaints about inadequate break grip.

They went through a set of oem VW pads in around 50k, and now are 30k into another set.
I heard that metal on metal sound from the front driver's side yesterday, apparently the pad detached from the backing plate before the sensor wore through.
It was a TRW pad. I had a set of nearly new pads from a parts car on hand to swap in. Zimmerman rotors are still in good shape.
Hey, that's pretty damn impressive on both counts. I've always been told to replace rotors & pads together on these cars, because the rotors are so light. Sounds like both may be good for a seconds of pads, depending on wear.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Hey, that's pretty damn impressive on both counts. I've always been told to replace rotors & pads together on these cars, because the rotors are so light. Sounds like both may be good for a seconds of pads, depending on wear.
In my experience (in the snow & salt belt) rear rotors need replacing every time but fronts are usually good for two sets of pads.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Woot! Had my first 500 mile tank this week. Hey not bad with a jack ace like me driving. 5 speed stage IV Malone.

FINALLY changed oil, filter and fuel filter today. Glad I watched a few youtube video’s on that (for the fuel filter). Leaving the hoses on that plastic piece was super easy then used my hand operated mighty vac to “prime” the filter. Ole girl started right up, took it for an easy spin around the block, no air trapped so woot again!

Lastly, the tune/turbo is really liking this cooler weather, seems to run a bit stronger. :)

James