DPF failure data collection

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
C'mon.... I refuse to believe that those working on your vehicle know anything about what they are doing.....

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Or the driver is short tripping the car and it can't regen. People that short trip and have little knowledge of the car usually suffer this fate at some point.

KellyGB

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2014
They have been talking to Volkswagen and this is what they were recommending. My last TDI, which I drove for 200,000 miles, never had any of these issues. I do some short drives, but generally between 15 and 30 minutes to school or work.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It would still go into active regen and throw all sorts of codes meaning that he would take it back in for warranty.... it's nearly impossible to replace a DPF and ensure the system works properly only to have it fill up again in 3k....

Something stinks here.... other than @KellyGB's exhaust that is!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
They have been talking to Volkswagen and this is what they were recommending. My last TDI, which I drove for 200,000 miles, never had any of these issues. I do some short drives, but generally between 15 and 30 minutes to school or work.
You said that your last TDI was an 06. Not the same engine or emissions crap. You really can't relate your experience of that one to this one.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
15 to 30 minutes is short tripping it in my opinion. A regen can take that long, after the car gets up to temp completely. I would say you could cure most if not all of your issues with this if you monitored your dpf soot status and went for a drive now and then when it was full to let it regen properly each time. About every 200+/- miles or so. Regens for me typically run 10 to 15 minutes. I monitor mine with an app and a BT dongle to the OBDII port on the car. VAGDPF is the app I use on my phone and I can see exactly what is going on. When it needs a regen I drive it around until it is done. There are multiple tools out there that can alert you when one is due or starting. If you keep the car I would invest in something like that to help.

Yes the 2006 did not have any dpf or such on board. Just a cat IIRC.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Sounds good.
Those of us who drive a lot (not me anymore) will have to decide what to do with the car or DPF/EGR once the warranty expires. It might make sense to either sell the car, or put the (relatively new) DPF and EGR on the shelf, or maybe just block off the EGR, and keep driving with a cracked DPF. It probably depends on the DMV inspections in your state.
I perminantly fixed my emissions at 6 months of ownership. Purchased at 91,500 1-5-2020. Current miles 147326. Haven't had an issue.

KellyGB

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2014
15 to 30 minutes is short tripping it in my opinion. A regen can take that long, after the car gets up to temp completely. I would say you could cure most if not all of your issues with this if you monitored your dpf soot status and went for a drive now and then when it was full to let it regen properly each time. About every 200+/- miles or so. Regens for me typically run 10 to 15 minutes. I monitor mine with an app and a BT dongle to the OBDII port on the car. VAGDPF is the app I use on my phone and I can see exactly what is going on. When it needs a regen I drive it around until it is done. There are multiple tools out there that can alert you when one is due or starting. If you keep the car I would invest in something like that to help.

Yes the 2006 did not have any dpf or such on board. Just a cat IIRC.
That makes sense. For regen, you warm the car and then drive until it is done, 10-15 minutes? I guess I didn't realize that short tripping was a thing since it never came up with my previous TDIs, although I understand they did not have a dpf.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A proper operating system will go all ape$h1t and throw all sorts of CELs long before you can fill the DPF to the point that it needs replacing.

If the owner reacts to those signs accordingly, there's all sorts of initiated regens, driving regens, service regens that can be performed..... If other components have also failed, whoever is fixing the issues isn't doing it correctly and the system is not functioning as it should .

We are not getting the full story here, as it doesn't compute based on my limited knowledge of how the system works.

KellyGB

TDI
Jetta Sportwagen 2014
A proper operating system will go all ape$h1t and throw all sorts of CELs long before you can fill the DPF to the point that it needs replacing.

If the owner reacts to those signs accordingly, there's all sorts of initiated regens, driving regens, service regens that can be performed..... If other components have also failed, whoever is fixing the issues isn't doing it correctly and the system is not functioning as it should .

We are not getting the full story here, as it doesn't compute based on my limited knowledge of how the system works.
That makes sense. The 15 months I drove the car, I had no issues at all... Something definitely seems off... I appreciate the input...
Thanks everyone!

Pittdawg

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Audi Q5 TDI
Only once since I have owned by 2014 Q5 did the DPF warning symbol light up. I took it for a vigorous drive on the freeway at night (I drove it like a raped ape) to force a regen and all has been good so far and that was about 6 months ago.

Bl@ckfi$3TDI

TDI
2014 JSW
Hey fellow TDI people. Hope your vehicles are treating you nice. I am having signs of trouble with my beloved shamu. White smoke billows from under my car and from the engine compartment while regenerations happen. It does not smoke any other time thou. The car seems to run fine, no check engine, dpf, glow plug lights of any sort on the dash. No limp mode, full use of rpm band. This has happened twice so far and the smoke is concerning enough that I am in the process with the dealer (under emissions warranty) to figure out what is wrong (appt Nov 1st). I do have soot in my tail pipe and from reading the other posts/topics points to cracked/failed dpf. Will update on what the dealer says, but in the mean time have any of you had this sort of failure mode happen to your tdi where it smokes NOT from the tail pipe but from under your car and engine hood while regenerating ? I think ive read of something of a fifth injector needed for the regen system. Maybe that's damaged and its causing the smoke? Maybe theres a pin hole leak in the dpf to the outside? but then I feel I would see smoke all the time. For reference the smoke smells like burning motor oil and plastic. maybe shoulda listened to oldman scotty k about the celicas haha.
Emissions fix at 48,000k
Miles driven post fix 27,490k
Mainly highways 80-85mph
Always (for the most part) let regens finish.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Definitely a dealer problem if you are under the Extended Emissions warranty. You should never have smoke billowing from under the car at any time. Or have soot in the exhaust either. Both should be covered by the warranty but you will probably need a check engine light or set a code for them to even do anything. Which might mean waiting until it sets a code. In the meantime, read up on the warranty so you know exactly what it covers and when. Hard to talk to them if you don't educate yourself first.

Bl@ckfi$3TDI

TDI
2014 JSW
Update: Good news the billowing smoke during regen was actually caused from a broken cv axel boot which slung grease all over the dpf manifold. Dealer covered the boot and labor under CPO warranty and cleaned up the grease. They did not mention anything about the sooty tail pipe or anything wrong with the dpf so I may just have to wait and see if the car throws a cel. Funny, my right rear passenger window went out again (3x already) the day I brought it in. The dowel pin keeps breaking for some reason. At least it was two birds.
So yeah as far as I know my DPF is okay and hopefully my bit of drama might help someone else out experiencing the same symptoms I did. Remove the belly pan to check out the right side half shafts and inner cv joint to confirm. Something I did not do until I had to re attach the pan due to the service department forgetting most of the screws.
Emissions fix @ 48,000 mi
ODO @ 75,500 mi
34 mpg avg
41mpg best

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
2012 VW Sportwagon TDI DSG.
Bought December 2018 with 119,800 miles.
VW emissions mod performed 8/1/2018 @ 19,000 according to VW website.
Now have 137,000.

Had CEL last few months coming and going.
P0401
P2002

Warrantee expires 8/1/2022.
Car booked into dealer next week.
Will report back.
What is the warrantee on a DPF from VW?

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
Mine failed again! I'm quoting my last failure below.
66,800 miles
28,500 miles since last failure. Almost 2 years to the day.

Dealership claims to have smoke-tested the boost side of the turbo's intake for leaking intercooler/piping. No leaks found to be causing it. I do use opti-lube XL at every fill-up because of concerns around fuel lubricity. That's the only major thing that crosses my mind that could be causing it to fail. That and short trips, but I always listen for the regens every 200 miles and drive it 20+ miles out of the way to let it complete its cycle.

15,000mi til end of warranty if I understand that it's the greater of the 2 coverages 😅 Probably going to start setting $ aside to plan to go Rawtek/Buzzken route as soon as warranty ends. I can save the hopefully-then-still-working DPF to sell the car at a later date. In case the next owner lives in a inspection state

Fix: 9/15/2019 28K miles translates to 4/15/2024 or 82,171mi
In-service: 5/30/2013 > 10y6m > 11/30/23 or 120k miles

With what I drive, I think it's going to be somewhere closer to the in-service. I'll probably breach the 82k miles around the same time I reach 11/30/23.

2013 JSW
6SPD MT
38,300 miles on car
9,800 miles post-fix

KeyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Sportwagon
Got mine back today.
My cel was telling me low EGR flow and DPF below threshold for a year or so.
warranty expires 8/1/22 so took it in
Dpf and EGR replaced under warranty at 137,777 miles.
No charge.