OEM Luk Clutch Thickness?

robschwieb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL - 6MT
Earlier this week my slave cylinder took a dump but thankfully didn't coat the clutch. I was fully expecting to replace the clutch and DMF while I was in there but after getting it apart everything was in surprisingly good condition with VERY little clutch dust in the bell housing. To be expected though considering I only have 50k mostly highway miles on it.

I'm all for "while you're in there maintenance" but I'm also not a big fan of dropping big $$$ on parts that don't need replacing. Especially how easily the trans came out. I was anticipating a nightmare but took less than 2 hours.

Anyway, does anyone know the thickness of a new OEM Luk clutch disc?

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT / 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI 6MT
did you have to remove axle flanges when dropping transmission?

robschwieb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL - 6MT
did you have to remove axle flanges when dropping transmission?
No, but if I were to do it again I'd remove the passenger side flange. I will when I mount it back up. Not necessary but caused me a but of extra wrestling when trying to get it to drop free.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
by looking at online pics of LuK RepSet 02-057, I believe your clutch looks almost new. I would just do a light sanding of the DMF/pressure plate faces and perhaps a soft brushing of the clutch itself.

Can you install a Sachs slave and keep everything else LuK?

robschwieb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL - 6MT
by looking at online pics of LuK RepSet 02-057, I believe your clutch looks almost new. I would just do a light sanding of the DMF/pressure plate faces and perhaps a soft brushing of the clutch itself.

Can you install a Sachs slave and keep everything else LuK?
That's exactly what I plan on doing. I was going to go with a LuK slave since I know other SACHS and LuK parts aren't interchangeable but if the SACHS is that much better might be worth investigating.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
That's exactly what I plan on doing. I was going to go with a LuK slave since I know other SACHS and LuK parts aren't interchangeable but if the SACHS is that much better might be worth investigating.
why is sachs dmf/ clutch disc inefior to luk?

robschwieb

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL - 6MT
Awesome, thanks for digging that up. After searching that part number it appears the SACHS unit is a metal body, as opposed to plastic like the LuK. Not sure if that makes it superior but a good sign in my book.

EDIT: Not sure if that's the right part. I'm finding a lot of conflicting info when it comes to clutch related parts for the MK7 platform vs other platforms that share the 02Q.

Last edited:

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Here is the Sachs one-piece version. The LUK having that second o-ring halfway down is interesting. It's not positioned in a place that would allow removal of the CSC without the gearbox coming off, so why they added that potential failure point in the first place is odd.
The amount of travel with the CSC is pretty large, so if the Sachs version works with the LUK pressure plate, it would only change the travel of the pedal. I added a clutch pedal stop to my car as the engagement height was pretty high, but I have a Sachs clutch kit as well.

Nice to see confirmation of the axle flanges coming off as best-practice just for ease of removal/install. I knew I had trouble with that pass. side flange clearing the motor.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is the Sachs one-piece version. The LUK having that second o-ring halfway down is interesting. It's not positioned in a place that would allow removal of the CSC without the gearbox coming off, so why they added that potential failure point in the first place is odd.
The amount of travel with the CSC is pretty large, so if the Sachs version works with the LUK pressure plate, it would only change the travel of the pedal. I added a clutch pedal stop to my car as the engagement height was pretty high, but I have a Sachs clutch kit as well.

Nice to see confirmation of the axle flanges coming off as best-practice just for ease of removal/install. I knew I had trouble with that pass. side flange clearing the motor.
is changing the seal absolutely necessary when removing the axle flange?

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
It's not an expensive or hard to replace item. I'd hate to replace it on the car if it started leaking brand new fluid after getting everything back together.

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
It's not an expensive or hard to replace item. I'd hate to replace it on the car if it started leaking brand new fluid after getting everything back together.
i was just trying to see if its possible to remove the transmission without taking the flanges off, mine are not leaking and I dont wanna unnecessarily make it worse

Last edited: