Is any coolant loss to be expected?

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
I've had my Sportwagen for almost 3 years and 20,000 miles. 46K on the clock. Yesterday the dash told me the coolant was low. It's down in the reservoir just enough to trigger the low coolant warning. So only a small amount is missing. Is this considered normal? None of my other vehicles do this. My thoughts are if coolant is missing there must be a leak, but I can't see one. Is there any other way coolant can go away without a leak?

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I wouldn't worry about it. I sometimes have to add a little coolant once the weather turns cooler.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Thanks, what should I buy? Should I get it from the dealer? They are pretty close to me. (geographically) ;) Maybe I'll just order it from you, not like it's an emergency. Or does the weight make it not feasible?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
All cars that have a non-vented/collecting cooling system can and often do lose a small amount over time. And Volkswagen has a pretty sensitive/aggressive low coolant sensor in the bottle.

And what I mean by this type of system is, there is no non-pressurized vessel to collect and contain excess coolant from expansion, and no by-directional cap to allow it pulled back into the system.

This is not unique to Volkswagen. Most BMW, MB, and most newer GM, Ford are like this as well. Toyota and Honda still typically employ the old fashioned overflow tank.

I top up the coolant at every service, even if it is just a half cup worth of liquid. It is quite common every fall here, when the temps begin to change, to have several VAG products a week come in that need a top off. If it does it frequently, then you have an issue. But if after six years and 46k miles, this was the first time it needed to be topped up, I'd consider that normal.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Mines been doing this since new, gets down to low level on bottle. Dealer didn't find anything when I had them check a couple years ago. I've seen on here that the water pumps sometimes are the culprits. Mine is back down again, so I'll top it off....

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
check that TB, if the coolants soaking the belt, adding distilled water or coolant may be the least of your worries.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
check that TB, if the coolants soaking the belt, adding distilled water or coolant may be the least of your worries.
well, if that's the case, it is on my service receipt that it was checked and found no issues. Maybe at the 80k service I'll mention it again.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Dealers don't lift the timing belt cover unless they really need to, instead they'll poke around around from 5 feet away, no major signs of issues, they'll say everything looks good.

bigb

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagon S
Dealers don't lift the timing belt cover unless they really need to, instead they'll poke around around from 5 feet away, no major signs of issues, they'll say everything looks good.
Is it much of a job to lift the cover?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
well, if that's the case, it is on my service receipt that it was checked and found no issues. Maybe at the 80k service I'll mention it again.
lifting the top cover might not reveal any sign of a problem. behind the crank pulley is where you need to be looking. and thats not so visible now is it.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don't think it's a big job to lift it, i just think it's an extra step most dealers don't do when cars go in for "multi point" inspections, they'll look for obvious signs near hoses/fittings.