BRM Torsion value problem!!

realsteel23

TDI
06 Jetta
So I was messing around with vcds. Lookin into my lock switch issue. So I decided to look around at other stuff. Went in to check torsion value and it was at -5.0kw at idle! I'm guessing this isn't good!. The car runs fine no burping or anything. Just gets poor mpg like 38 is average. Supposedly the TB was changed 20k miles ago but I take that with a grain of salt. I'm thinking the cam is on the way out or TB wasn't done properly. Whatd do you guys think?

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Every car is different, and when the Tb was done the torsion may not have been set properly. -5 is a bit “low” I think I’d move it more toward 0, maybe -2 or -1 and see what you mileage is from there. When my cam (BEW) was on it’s way out I noticed my torsion had moved from +1 to -5.x I don’t remember exactly.

The cam is easy enough to inspect, just pull the valve cover and look/feel the lobes. No chamfer and sharp edges on the lobe tips are what you’re looking for.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Yeah try and move it up to “0”. It will just have less power and fuel economy.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Is there a sticker with a legible hand written number in the box on the top of the timing belt cover? These PD's came from the factory with a sticker there and a hand written number telling the best torsion setting for that particular car. Unfortunately those numbers have disappeared with age.

realsteel23

TDI
06 Jetta
Is there a sticker with a legible hand written number in the box on the top of the timing belt cover? These PD's came from the factory with a sticker there and a hand written number telling the best torsion setting for that particular car. Unfortunately those numbers have disappeared with age.
There's no sticker on top of the TB cover on the outside.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I just replaced the cam in my BEW about 3 weeks ago. They look intimidating when you first pull the valve cover. The first time I looked under the valve cover I didn’t even see the cam, because of the rockers that run the injectors.

A cam in one of these isn’t hard to replace you just need to be methodical.

realsteel23

TDI
06 Jetta
Ok set the torsion at -.5. Its a whole different car. Runs smoother, shifts smoother, more responsive and doesn't feel like someone is slamming on the brakes when it downshifts into first. Gonna run a tank through it and check mileage.

I've had this car for only 8 months so I'm slowly gettin it back to where it should be. Next is trying to figure out the starting issue. I'm thinking the starter is dragging. The starter doesn't zing over just sounds slow. Starts everytime but rough like it wasn't turned over fast enough

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do a couple of tanks for mpg ‘s if that is what you’re hoping to improve. I have noticed that it takes a couple before the mileage really starts to improve. Some improvement is realized on the first tank and often even better on the second.

-.5 is a good spot. Each car can be different. Some run great at .0 others do better at -3 or +2 or whatever.

Rx7145

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta BRM
Ok set the torsion at -.5. Its a whole different car. Runs smoother, shifts smoother, more responsive and doesn't feel like someone is slamming on the brakes when it downshifts into first. Gonna run a tank through it and check mileage.

I've had this car for only 8 months so I'm slowly gettin it back to where it should be. Next is trying to figure out the starting issue. I'm thinking the starter is dragging. The starter doesn't zing over just sounds slow. Starts everytime but rough like it wasn't turned over fast enough
The wire that goes into the starter is probably getting corroded. Mine did the same until the wire failed and I got to push start it.

realsteel23

TDI
06 Jetta
The wire that goes into the starter is probably getting corroded. Mine did the same until the wire failed and I got to push start it.
I'll check it. I think I'm gonna take it off and clean it. When I first got the car the o rings under the trans cooler were bad and leaked fluid all over the starter. So it won't hurt to clean it.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It’s amazing how much difference there is between a new starter and an old tired one. Good job on both the starter and torsion.