Malone stage 3

Dallas Stace-smith

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta gls
Hey, just wondering if anybody has a Malone stage 3 on their mk4 Alh Jetta and would like to tell me how much of a jump it is from the stage 1 or if it is worth it?

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
It's totally worth it, but get a good clutch (manual) because you won't be able to stay off the gas! I have a stage 3 and pp520 nozzles and I love it! You won't want to go back to stock.
I haven't had the stage one, but adding pp520's there was a little bit of a notice. Really pp520's was a nice touch, but then with the stage 3....1-3rd pulls hard!
I have the heavier beetle body, and i still have a 7.6-7.8's 0-60 on stock tires. With my oversized tires im running low 8's. Mileage is all affected in how you drive. Drive crazy=low milage. Drive nice=better then stock mpg

Notice: I drive 65-75mph everywhere, and don't mind passing cars with full throttle to get around them. That being said 65-75mph with most miles being closer to 70mph isn't conducive to getting steller mpg.
If i drive the car rough everywhere i am getting about 30mpg, but i also have a rack with windfairing and a light bar....also again the beetle body (had like 40mpg stock, maybe 45ish if i drove nice).
If i drive nice im seeing about 40, but if i take the light bar down it bumps up a few more. It really is crazy how a 22" light bar can knock mpg down by like 4-5!! So really anything that adds drag will kill your mpg, 2nd to how you drive the car.

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Alright awesome thank you!
I did mine a few weeks ago. I've had .216 nozzles for almost 2 years now and just recently replaced the clutch and got the tune. I went ahead with all the ad ons also. Like dynamic egr, idle, increased flow plug duration and launch control. I don't think I care for the launch control though. Personally, I find it useless.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It's totally worth it, but get a good clutch (manual) because you won't be able to stay off the gas! I have a stage 3 and pp520 nozzles and I love it! You won't want to go back to stock.
I haven't had the stage one, but adding pp520's there was a little bit of a notice. Really pp520's was a nice touch, but then with the stage 3....1-3rd pulls hard!
I have the heavier beetle body, and i still have a 7.6-7.8's 0-60 on stock tires. With my oversized tires im running low 8's. Mileage is all affected in how you drive. Drive crazy=low milage. Drive nice=better then stock mpg

Notice: I drive 65-75mph everywhere, and don't mind passing cars with full throttle to get around them. That being said 65-75mph with most miles being closer to 70mph isn't conducive to getting steller mpg.
If i drive the car rough everywhere i am getting about 30mpg, but i also have a rack with windfairing and a light bar....also again the beetle body (had like 40mpg stock, maybe 45ish if i drove nice).
If i drive nice im seeing about 40, but if i take the light bar down it bumps up a few more. It really is crazy how a 22" light bar can knock mpg down by like 4-5!! So really anything that adds drag will kill your mpg, 2nd to how you drive the car.
Have you ever tracked your miles traveled with a GPS? I have a hard time seeing a good running manual trans TDI getting that low of mileage. Your taller tires will show less miles traveled.

Dallas Stace-smith

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta gls
I did mine a few weeks ago. I've had .216 nozzles for almost 2 years now and just recently replaced the clutch and got the tune. I went ahead with all the ad ons also. Like dynamic egr, idle, increased flow plug duration and launch control. I don't think I care for the launch control though. Personally, I find it useless.
I have actually always wondered, what is the launch control actually like? How do you engage it?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Hey, just wondering if anybody has a Malone stage 3 on their mk4 Alh Jetta and would like to tell me how much of a jump it is from the stage 1 or if it is worth it?
I have stage III with .216’s and stock turbo on two vehicles. They both smoke on hard acceleration but still deliver decent economy and good power. One car with stage II, .205’s and stock turbo. Good power and great economy. Don’t get caught up in “stages”. Be honest with yourself in how you will drive it the majority of the time, pick your components, and let your tuner do his thing.

Dallas Stace-smith

TDI
2003 TDI Jetta gls
I have stage III with .216’s and stock turbo on two vehicles. They both smoke on hard acceleration but still deliver decent economy and good power. One car with stage II, .205’s and stock turbo. Good power and great economy. Don’t get caught up in “stages”. Be honest with yourself in how you will drive it the majority of the time, pick your components, and let your tuner do his thing.
Yeah, I have .205's as well. Just wondering about the stage 3 because I'm trying to decide between the stage 3 and stage 2

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It doesn’t matter whether you call it stage two or three or whatever, it’s tuned to your components and you’re driving style

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

I started off with a stage 1 tune on a totally stock vehicle.

I now have the modifications in my signature and I'm still on my stage 1 tune with no updates.

The only thing that I can think of that's wrong with my stage 1 tune id that I can get up to 24 PSI of boost on vnt 15 whereas a "proper" tune would adjust the Boost ....

I have yet to add the pd 150 3" maf , air cleaner upgrade and 3" profi diesel tip .... I'm hoping with these mods the fueling will get cut back a bit and the Boost will go down correspondingly without need for re tune.

So far I can limit boost with my right foot but one time while attempting a quick merge on the highway my boost spiked 24 PSI and the car went into limp mode .... fortunately I was just doing an Italian tune-up and not needing to pass or merging closely because the limp mode could have reduced power drastically at an inopportune time .... that's probably is about the biggest Improvement that could happen with a proper tune ..... the limiting of boost and preventing the throwing overboost codes at inopportune times.

Of course if I took the time I could install my Boost limiter ( for the life of me I'm drawing a blank on what it's actually called but it's the small spring-loaded adjustable contraption that you plumb into the vacuum lines that allows you to manually adjust max boost Levels by turning a knob).

Anyways maybe between the Boost limiter above and the 3 in maf my Boost will get down to more normal levels and I won't worry about overboosting and limp mode.

I realize I could update my tune but truthfully the car seems to run very well the way it is and plus it's expensive to redo the tune.

If the other upgrades I do don't change the maximum boost level significantly I may still consider updating the tune but truthfully i have dealt with the overboost issue manually .... the ol right foot. ;-)

Andrew

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hi

I now have the modifications in my signature and I'm still on my stage 1 tune with no updates.

The only thing that I can think of that's wrong with my stage 1 tune id that I can get up to 24 PSI of boost on vnt 15 whereas a "proper" tune would adjust the Boost ....

I have yet to add the pd 150 3" maf , air cleaner upgrade and 3" profi diesel tip .... I'm hoping with these mods the fueling will get cut back a bit and the Boost will go down correspondingly without need for re tune.

So far I can limit boost with my right foot but one time while attempting a quick merge on the highway my boost spiked 24 PSI and the car went into limp mode .... fortunately I was just doing an Italian tune-up and not needing to pass or merging closely because the limp mode could have reduced power drastically at an inopportune time .... that's probably is about the biggest Improvement that could happen with a proper tune ..... the limiting of boost and preventing the throwing overboost codes at inopportune times.

Of course if I took the time I could install my Boost limiter ( for the life of me I'm drawing a blank on what it's actually called but it's the small spring-loaded adjustable contraption that you plumb into the vacuum lines that allows you to manually adjust max boost Levels by turning a knob).

Anyways maybe between the Boost limiter above and the 3 in maf my Boost will get down to more normal levels and I won't worry about overboosting and limp mode.

I realize I could update my tune but truthfully the car seems to run very well the way it is and plus it's expensive to redo the tune.

If the other upgrades I do don't change the maximum boost level significantly I may still consider updating the tune but truthfully i have dealt with the overboost issue manually .... the ol right foot. ;-)

Andrew
find a way to install the proper MAP and your ecu can read the signals clearly, no more over boost

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
find a way to install the proper MAP and your ecu can read the signals clearly, no more over boost
Hi

The main reason for the 3 bar map is because I upgraded the smic and the factory size was said not to fit so I had to buy the three bar unit.

In a way the three bar unit will kill two birds with one stone because at some point in the future I will probably upgrade turbos and I think they generally require a 3 or 4 bar map anyways.

Thanks

mk116v

TDI
2001 jetta tdi
I have actually always wondered, what is the launch control actually like? How do you engage it?
All it does is limit the rpm's to 2500 when the car is not moving. So basically, you just put the pedal to the metal and dump the clutch when you want to go. As soon as the abs detects movement, you can rev it past that.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Have you ever tracked your miles traveled with a GPS? I have a hard time seeing a good running manual trans TDI getting that low of mileage. Your taller tires will show less miles traveled.
No i haven't with a gps, just the car dash. Best tank was 485mi. Doing about 70-75 for about 3/4 of it. I also have the tires that are 8% bigger.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
That sucks, guess thats only 36mpg. Idk...the wind fairing and rack probably don't help a lot. I could take them off and see what happens i suppose

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No i haven't with a gps, just the car dash. Best tank was 485mi. Doing about 70-75 for about 3/4 of it. I also have the tires that are 8% bigger.
You're probably over 8%, calculated by circumference not diameter. 215/75/15's? I think if you figure your multiplier with a gps you will probably find you are getting low to mid 40's

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
You're probably over 8%, calculated by circumference not diameter. 215/75/15's? I think if you figure your multiplier with a gps you will probably find you are getting low to mid 40's
HI,

I think the correction factor for the 215/75/15 tires is 10% so that should help out quite a bit .... I saw that on a tire size comparison chart... it's what Ive been using so I hope its right ( I used to use 8% correction when I was 205/75/15

If it was doable (have to clearance the fenderwells a bit as it is now) I want try 225/75/15 next when these tires wear out.

I have plenty of time to think about it tho since the new tires went on fairly recently.

Andrew

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not to keep robbing the thread, but to do so anyway.
485 mile tank. 0.10 for oversized tires.
14.5 gal. tank

485x0.10= 48.5
485+48.5= 533.5
533.5÷14.5=36.8
36.8 mpg. This was my best tank this summer. Will fill up tomorrow and try again. Think i may remove my rack for a tank as well to see what happens.
Don't worry Dallas, I'll get good stage 3 numbers for you to consider yet! Tho i may not be the best one for this being i drive a bug.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Some versions of factory ECM programming do not throw codes when a "wrong" MAP is installed, but a 3 bar MAP will give 20% more boost than the tune requests generally causing a spike.
Hi

Andrew
A) a boost limiter is also a Dawes Device
B) .205 nozzles usually run out of fuel around 18PSI; I am surprised yours are fueling up to 24 PSI.
C) I had a TDTuning "Stage 3 18PSI" tune in my Jetta. Not only did I have enough power on tap to safely pass other cars ( thank God) my FE increased to 52MPG on the freeway, and what a blast to drive!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Some versions of factory ECM programming do not throw codes when a "wrong" MAP is installed, but a 3 bar MAP will give 20% more boost than the tune requests generally causing a spike.

A) a boost limiter is also a Dawes Device
B) .205 nozzles usually run out of fuel around 18PSI; I am surprised yours are fueling up to 24 PSI.
C) I had a TDTuning "Stage 3 18PSI" tune in my Jetta. Not only did I have enough power on tap to safely pass other cars ( thank God) my FE increased to 52MPG on the freeway, and what a blast to drive!
HI

1) I just thought of it.... it was called a Boost Valve .... I think It was about $65 .... Plumb it in using vac lines and you can adjust max boost manually with a knob and lock nut ( I have one but have not installed it yet)....

2) My guess as to why I can boost to 24 PSI ( I have NOT had the nerve to try to go further BUT I think It would IF I pressed it and held it) is because I have a stage 1 tune and that typically maxes out the stock injector flow wise BUT since I did NOT change the tune when I put in the larger injectors / nozzles AND the 11 MM I'm guessing that the tune THINKS it as regular stock pieces and maxes them out BUT since I have bigger parts on it that is why it boosts so high? (that and maybe the 3 Bar MAP also). I'm guessing the reason you don't see others boosting like that is because they probably update the tune or have updated the tune by now or even BEFORE the mods are even test driven?

3) Yes, boost definitely helps .... when my boost hose popped off partially, I could only muster 5 psi boost pushing hard and it did not have alot of power OR fuel economy .... All hail the mighty Boost ! ;-)

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
You are living on borrowed time with your turbo, VNT-15's are on the edge of the safe window at 19 PSI. So you have .205 nozzles and an 11mm pump, which in theory puts you into the .216 range. You have enough fuel to run 24 PSI of boost with the correct turbo. You don't mention if you roll coal every time you tag the throttle, but I will guess you do.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI

Hi

Just curious but where did you mount the light bar .... on the rack?

I have seen pics of people with light bars in the grill and a member here makes an attachment to mount lights that fits through the lower 2 grill openings.... i wonder if those or the latter would hurt aero too badly?

Andrew

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
You are living on borrowed time with your turbo, VNT-15's are on the edge of the safe window at 19 PSI. So you have .205 nozzles and an 11mm pump, which in theory puts you into the .216 range. You have enough fuel to run 24 PSI of boost with the correct turbo. You don't mention if you roll coal every time you tag the throttle, but I will guess you do.
I don't think it rolls really black smoke like tractor pullers ...

I think its more if a haze+

I really only know it's there if pushing hard near dark since i can see it through the headlight of cars further away in my rearview mirror (i mostly drive at or near dark and don't do my Italian tune ups with cars nearby ... )

I may try it in the am to see what it actually looks like tho.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi

Just curious but where did you mount the light bar .... on the rack?

I have seen pics of people with light bars in the grill and a member here makes an attachment to mount lights that fits through the lower 2 grill openings.... i wonder if those or the latter would hurt aero too badly?

Andrew
Ya i mounted it up on the rack. Which hurts mpg. I had tried mounting it in front of my radiator behind the grill, but it didn't give good down road lighting. Millennium falcon makes bars that you can attach lights to and everyone loves them, but he doesn't have one for the beetle. If it's mounted down there it really shouldn't hurt mpg, because the air is still going around the rest of the car.

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
.205 nozzles and a stage 1 could make a black smoke screen. Significantly less smoke by going to stg 2 or 3 with .205 nozzles on 10 mm pump. Stage 1 with .205 nozzles felt the fastest, stage 2 not as much response but a linear smoke free acceleration. I got used to stage 1 response on bigger nozzles so went with stage 3 which gives a little smoke when going over half throttle but no smoke with most driving. 18 psi on stock turbo. My stage 1 was meant to max out stock injectors with fueling. The tune is meant to work with what is present when you tune

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
.205 nozzles and a stage 1 could make a black smoke screen. Significantly less smoke by going to stg 2 or 3 with .205 nozzles on 10 mm pump. Stage 1 with .205 nozzles felt the fastest, stage 2 not as much response but a linear smoke free acceleration. I got used to stage 1 response on bigger nozzles so went with stage 3 which gives a little smoke when going over half throttle but no smoke with most driving. 18 psi on stock turbo. My stage 1 was meant to max out stock injectors with fueling. The tune is meant to work with what is present when you tune
Hi

Whose tune are you using?

Did you ever try larger MAF before retuning ? What were your results?

I have not added my profi diesel 3" tip and pd150 3" maf yet but i hear doing so without a retune will make the engine "think" less air is going in so it may back off on the fueling a bit ..... will that may make everything go full circle back to "good" (i.e. more smoke free) without having to retune?

My thought is it should but i was
Just wondering if anybody's already done it and knows the results already.

Thanks

Fahrvegnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
01 golf 1.9 alh gls silver
Malone. I’ve always used the same maf. Whether you put the 3” stuff on there or not you could try to hammer mod the IQ higher.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
I have malone also ....

I'm going to try to see how the car reacts just by switching in the 3" intake system.

If that cuts fuel too much I wonder how the car would react with a 4 bar map?

I'll probably save Hammer modding for last ....

Andrew