I’m baaaaack! Any advice? What did I miss???

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Just bought a 2014 Beetle TDI! I used to have a 2013 Golf TDI , but then dieselgate happened. I missed that car. I lamented getting rid of it. But I had it for 3 years snd made bank on the recall, so I moved on to a 2017 GTI. It was a beast, too much fun. Sold it for a 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4… good truck, but I learned why I don’t have trucks anymore rather quickly .. you move EVERYONE! “Hey, you got a truck, can you help me move…” you know the drill.
So used car prices are sky high on this truck. I took full advantage and sold it through carvana and traded it in on a 2014 BEETLE TDI with 17k miles!!!I can’t wait to be pulling back up to the green pumps again!
That being said, any advice on what to look for ? I have 7 days until I’m committed to it. Also very interested in improving it with the deletes and such. Got to remember all this stuff I used to know!

feels good to be back!

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Look for more frequent regens and lower fuel economy than pre-fix TDI's. My pre-fix occasional intercooler icing issue became a regular, predictable occurence after the fix. Delete cures all of these issues.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Look for more frequent regens and lower fuel economy than pre-fix TDI's. My pre-fix occasional intercooler icing issue became a regular, predictable occurence after the fix. Delete cures all of these issues.
Yeah, it’s all coming back now. DPF delete and what else?

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
If the extended warranty means anything to you, don't delete until the Dieselgate warranty has expired. A stage 2 tune is more than enough power for me and fuel economy is even better than it was before Dieselgate. Other than delete and tune, it's pretty much regular maintenance and whatever little tweaks you want to make with VCDS.

As far as I know, nothing much else has changed since you left. There may be issues if your car sat in a buyback lot for a long time. With under 20k miles, you'll have one of the "newest" cars here.

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
Man you checked a lot of boxes. I’ll be getting that VCDS this time around, any thoughts on your favorite tweeks out there? I’m thinking of the stage 2 , for sure now that you put it that way; Malone?
Yeah , I’ll be checking the tires and battery. I’ll check the car fax too to see if it sat a while.
So I’m thinking a pipe, air filter and tune. Any solid combos if these?
I was under warranty with my other TDI and didn’t want to mod it, can’t wait!

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
I used Malone but there's other tuners out there. Buzzken sells a package that includes upgrade options. Stage 2 requires additional tuning for a DSG, another $400 or so.

Stock airbox works just fine, no intake mods needed.

I used VCDS for comfort turn signals, window/sunroof closing with key fob, no honk or lights flashing when locking car, etc.... nothing major. Main reason I bought it was to have a VW specific scanner when needed. Plenty of info at Ross-Tech website and here on TDIClub.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Just bought a 2014 Beetle TDI! I used to have a 2013 Golf TDI , but then dieselgate happened. I missed that car. I lamented getting rid of it. But I had it for 3 years snd made bank on the recall, so I moved on to a 2017 GTI. It was a beast, too much fun. Sold it for a 2019 Ford Ranger 4x4… good truck, but I learned why I don’t have trucks anymore rather quickly .. you move EVERYONE! “Hey, you got a truck, can you help me move…” you know the drill.
So used car prices are sky high on this truck. I took full advantage and sold it through carvana and traded it in on a 2014 BEETLE TDI with 17k miles!!!I can’t wait to be pulling back up to the green pumps again!
That being said, any advice on what to look for ? I have 7 days until I’m committed to it. Also very interested in improving it with the deletes and such. Got to remember all this stuff I used to know!

feels good to be back!
Glad to hear your back, and have a beetle!
I have owned one truck (91 s10) and thankfully i never got the "we're moving!" call/text lol. I know people who own trucks and they do😄.

Curious, do you know how the space in the newer body compares to the older mk4 beetles? Idk if you've ever been in or owned an older one...

Humanaquarian

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Beetle TDI
It’s actually a bit more headroom. The body is overall longer and wider. The ride is as smooth as butter. Such a pleasure to drive.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
My seats suck for any long distance driving. Flat and hard. Ordered a cushion just yesterday. Took a 350 mile trip down to SpaceX to see Starship 20 before it goes orbital. Love driving the car but the seats aren't comfy at all. Bare bones tdi model.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
Stay with the stock air filter unless you want to pay for a failed dpf. (K&n type filters cause dpf failures and vw will not cover the dpf unless you have a stock filter)

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 5 Speed Beetle-sold, 2010 Jetta-sold 2014 Beetle
Dude I'm in the same boat just bought a 14 beetle last night. Used to have an 02 beetle and then 10 Jetta.

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
Reply to above also I feel this one is roomier side to side vs my 02 but shorter in head room.

thecrusher773

Veteran Member
TDI
Not trying to hijack the thread but I feel like we are all in the same boat. This will be my wife's commuter. I won't do much besides maybe a mild tune to get better mileage, skid plate and maybe one of the lift kits because our roads here are terrible. I also noticed the condenser fins on the bottom are just smoked with how open that grille is. Are there any that are a finer mesh or anything to help protect it?

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
I’ve never noticed an issue with the grill, i love the openness when it’s time to install or remove the winter front cover (limits condensation from forming in the intercooler, it’s been amazing for me since I’ve dealt with that twice).

aaronjbeetle

TDI
2014 Beetle Manual
Welcome back!

Got myself a 2014 Beetle TDI in April with 33k, already pushing 42k with a couple West Coast road tips in.

EDIT: I bought mine on Carvana as well, it was an overall decent experience - some undisclosed damage from a previous repair attempt, but they did cover the almost 6k in body repainting. Nothing was ever reported to Carfax - the body shop I went to believes the car was keyed previously and re-painted at a MAACO or something similar, since all welds, parts, stickers, etc. are OEM. If Carvana had not honored to fix it, it would have been returned.

How was your experience?

Last edited: