MN Chat Thread

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Unfortunately, yes.. It does very well here in MN, But, we took it out west Black Hill SD for 2 weeks, put 2k on it. It didn't do so well uphill with a head wind. Don't get me wrong, plenty of power, enough power I could have melted the pistons to the cylinder walls I'm sure. I couldn't keep the EGT's down on the hills on 90 degree days and I don't have the ac hooked up yet..
This is why I always recommend that people immediately ditch the tiny little turbos that are so popular on this forum. Bet it'd do a whole lot better with a 40-45mm compressor inducer (and much more importantly the turbine to match).
something like a borg S-200 frame size

I'm always willing to store and rehome engines and parts. Been swamped with working on my house, but my #1 project once that's done is jamming an ALH into my '93 f350

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
This is why I always recommend that people immediately ditch the tiny little turbos that are so popular on this forum. Bet it'd do a whole lot better with a 40-45mm compressor inducer (and much more importantly the turbine to match).

I'm always willing to store and rehome engines and parts. Been swamped with working on my house, but my #1 project once that's done is jamming an ALH into my '93 f350
Still gonna put that alh in there are ya? Won't that be a sight!

I apparantly need an alh in every other vehicle I own. I picked up a 07 chevy hhr the other day (ran and drove great, but has a slight tick), and wanted to race it tonight at kanabec county fair in the redneck races. I drove it a bunch around the farm, stripped it down, got it ready and brought it there. 2nd practice lap and i busted something, Cracked the oil pan, and now it barely starts. When it does it revs to 4k and stays there. I give it gas and it revs higher but wont come down. Ecotec 2.2 is bleck of a motor anyway, but i figured it would make at least one race.
Drove it at 4k rpm onto the trailer with help because of such little power. Now i got a bum car. Ugh
should have went with ford they all say.

Last edited:

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel

I am all for changing the turbo rather than doing a motor swap... I will do some looking at that!!!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
one additional point that I see people fall to time after time
don't be fooled by the aftermarket hybrid garbage
get something off the shelf from a stock application and adapt the plumbing to make it work

you will need a remap, by the way

hbrown787

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I am looking for a good shop or someone in the Rochester/South Metro area that could do the timing belt and water pump replacement on my 2012 Passat TDI SEL. Any suggestions would be great.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
one additional point that I see people fall to time after time
don't be fooled by the aftermarket hybrid garbage
get something off the shelf from a stock application and adapt the plumbing to make it work

you will need a remap, by the way
So do you think he'd need something bigger then a vnt17 for the toyota? How many psi would you have to push to keep it cooler? Or is that more of a bigger turbo keeps things cooler because of more space/air pushed through per amount of time thus keeping the engine cooler.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
on these engines most of the need for lots of boost pressure is a result of massive amounts of restriction from the turbine side
toss a pressure gauge on your exhaust manifold some time, just pull your pyro and plumb a cheap oil pressure gauge to it with some 1/8" copper line
you'll see how the exhaust pressure is stuuupid high and always above boost pressure

an interesting aside is that when your turbo is in its optimal efficiency window you'll have higher boost pressure than exhaust backpressure
it works that way by scavenging the energy of the exhaust HEAT not its pressure/volume/mass flow
this would cause your EGR to flow backwards, so of course they program the vane maps to avoid this efficiency window like the plague, and also size the turbo much smaller than anyone would like to see

"vnt 17" aka 1749v(A, B, or C, I forget which) is just the same undersized outdated garbage with an ancient vane mechanism that is far too delicate, if you need to stick with a vane turbo go with one of the gtb or newer cores

my garbagecan junkyard conglomeration td04hl19t moves more air through the engine at 10 psi than the stock gt1749v does at 18 psi

this is also a "jeep sized" vehicle with aero and weight to match, so of course it's asking for far more continuous output than the stock application of any ALH, thus the recommendation of sizing the breathing apparatus to match the continuous output required

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
actually that reminds me, if you want something that's fairly bolt-on look for one of those $100 chinese cast iron log manifolds with a t25 flange
then get you a td04hl-15t-5cm from a saab 2.3 HPT which are fairly available in the junkyards, or you can buy a new taiwanese one for not too much money

that'd be a much better match for that size/weight of vehicle than the stock hairdryer, and should be only a few hundred dollars all together with a remap to tolerate the wastegated turbo

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
"vnt 17" aka 1749v(A, B, or C, I forget which) is just the same undersized outdated garbage with an ancient vane mechanism that is far too delicate, if you need to stick with a vane turbo go with one of the gtb or newer core.
So you'd recommend a newer Wastegated turbo over a vnt? If im understanding correctly. Or is there another type i don't know of?
This is all interesting to me because most people push for the vnt17, or a bigger turbo (gtb whatevers) i dont understand all the numbers and letters that usually follow on them things.

fjdiesel

TDI
76 fj40 w/05 LIberty CRD 2.8L diesel
I agree, keep the info coming here. I am learning something!!

So you have all the data. I have a BV43 housing(BV43A center section), Passat 2.0 exhaust manifold.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
I agree, keep the info coming here. I am learning something!!

So you have all the data. I have a BV43 housing(BV43A center section), Passat 2.0 exhaust manifold.
I have very little data, just some personal experience screwing around with junkyard garbage with zero budget.

IIRC the BV43 is already a bit of a step above the 1749v family, still pretty small but better.
you should be able to make an adapter plate from that manifold to basically anything with relative ease
So you'd recommend a newer Wastegated turbo over a vnt? If im understanding correctly. Or is there another type i don't know of?
This is all interesting to me because most people push for the vnt17, or a bigger turbo (gtb whatevers) i dont understand all the numbers and letters that usually follow on them things.
nope, the td04 I recommended up there is '90s tech
its just physically a better size match for the flow requirements and happens to be very available right now as those particular saabs are all meeting the crusher
gtb is newer generation and the vane mech is way different, gtc and gtd are even newer revisions
iirc the numbers are generally something like this
2060 = "20" turbine family, though gt 15, 17, 18, 20, 22, and 25 are all pretty wishy washy in that the shaft dimensions are all the same so you can do a lot of mixing and matching, some gt17 turbines are larger than some gt20 pieces so its kinda a more meaningless number
then the 60 is compressor wheel exducer diameter which is at least a concrete measurement
the letters are a mess as well with some turbos not fitting into the conventional lettering schemes
I'm far from anyone you should listen to on those sorts of things, I just throw the numbers into google (or ebay) to get dimensions of the compressor and turbine wheels and to a lesser extent the factory application power output, then base my choice on that.

turbos are something that you can do a lot of math on sizing, but if your budget doesn't allow for picking and choosing brand new $1500 turbos then there isn't much point to the math
you can get extremely good results by just choosing a factory application turbo (so the wheels are well matched to each other size-wise) for a power output in the range of what you want to make
though you should keep in mind expected duty cycle of the engines, something like a generator, tractor, or pump motor is going to have a turbo that's sized to be the most efficient at near 100% rated output.
Something on a car will be sized much smaller as they're only looking to make a small percentage of peak output for any length of time, so they can run it way too hard completely wrung out on the top end and it doesn't matter to them that you're basically just throwing fuel at forcing exhaust through it because its such a small percentage of the operation time. They want zero lag. They want easy emissions tuning.

basically, something on a 170hp genset is going to have a compressor inducer around say 50-55mm whereas a 170hp car motor can be well under a 40mm inducer

you're running your engine at a much higher duty cycle than it was being run in the car it came out of (and the car that your turbo came from) so you're running the turbo a lot harder than it'd be most efficient doing, throwing fuel at moving air
look at it like you're asking the engine (injecting fuel) to make 150hp, but because of the high exhaust pressure relative to the intake pressure you're only getting 100hp out of the crankshaft to actually pull the vehicle up that hill.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI

is the 04 a brm engine? or bew? I dont know a ton about this year of car.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I think it'd be a bew
iirc my bew's an 03 though
Ok, i think they didn't make the bew until 04. unless yours was 04 model sold in 03. I could be wrong tho. My last 01 beetle was that way. Different paperwork said it was either 2000 or a 01.
I have seen the wagon driving around cambridge, but i thought it was an alh. I kind of want to fix it up and flip it but i don't know much about the bew.

Curious Chris

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Wagon 2003 RIP Rockford IL
Want to reduce EGT put in a nice large FMIC for nice cool charge air . Of course if you are pulling a trailer up a steep hill down shift to reduce load

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Not a tdi, but not the usual find either. Upullrparts east bethel has a 2000 beetle s. Still has the 6 speed in it if anyone is interested. Front end crash, its pretty smashed. Color is black

Westro

Veteran Member
TDI
Picked up a 2003 manual, silver Jetta. ONLY 224K on it. Throwing parts at it and one thing I want to do is put some bigger injectors in it. IDparts looks like they are short on nozzles. Anyone have any laying around for an ALH?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
Picked up a 2003 manual, silver Jetta. ONLY 224K on it. Throwing parts at it and one thing I want to do is put some bigger injectors in it. IDparts looks like they are short on nozzles. Anyone have any laying around for an ALH?
Have you tried Drivbiwire? Bosio DLC's are the best.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Have you tried Drivbiwire? Bosio DLC's are the best.
Am now Officially sliding down that slope. On a manual swap I just put a set of manual injectors behind an un-tuned 11mm pump. I like. Now to figure out how far I am willing to jump...DLC520's or 1019's. Budget does not cover bigger turbo/clutch( which is already a SMF/VR6 rig ), so I suppose I am going to stick wid 520's.

I'd love to try 1019's and a GTD1752VRK...but, ya know...just not right now.
cheers,
Douglas

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
appears to be one in cambridge for 1200 on craigslist
it's a beater, but... they all are lol

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
appears to be one in cambridge for 1200 on craigslist
it's a beater, but... they all are lol
I quickly look to make sure my wife didn't list mine for sale... :LOL:

Anyone in need of some used parts? I have 3 5spd mk4 transmissions that if someone were to put some time into would turn into TWO good TDI transmissions. I also have an AHU pile of parts that I just want gone. Basically someone pulled an engine, disassembled everything and put everything in boxes. I have a crap ton of other mk4 parts I've been amassing over the years that I haven't used. Thinking of doing a garage sale of sorts.