Dealer nightmare

DanD182

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Hi guys. I’ll try and keep this short and sweet. Looking for some advice. About 2 months ago I got a check engine light for a glow plug pressure sensor and my car was running rough. Replaced the glow plug and the light came back on 300 miles later. Realized that the car was still under the Dieselgate warranty for 1000 miles so I brought it to the dealer who says the engine is bad and they are replacing the engine under warranty. 5 weeks later they have no ETA on an engine for the car, don’t have a loaner vehicle for me to drive and won’t have one for another few weeks, and say they don’t do rentals. They tell me they have another customer who has been waiting on a turbo charger for his 2012 Passat for over a year and his car has been sitting at the dealer ever since. VW of America assured me the dealer would put me in a rental and to call them back. I called the dealer back and they told me to go pound salt and I can call VW of America all I want, they don’t care what they say (almost verbatim). Do I :

1) wait it out, and be happy I’m getting a new engine even if it takes a year while I drive a loaner gas Jetta that smells like cigarettes. Get the car back and drive it until the wheels fall off payment free.

2) ask VW to buy the car back because they don’t have the ability to fix it in a reasonable amount of time.

I really like my TDI. But this has really been a terrible experience with VW and has shown me the massive flaws with the company. I really wanted this car to make it to 500k, but this will be my last VW. The next car will be a Toyota.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
I doubt VW will buy back the car, but can't hurt to ask.
You may want to try another dealer. It sounds to me that dealer is trying to milk the extended warranty.

DanD182

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
I doubt VW will buy back the car, but can't hurt to ask.
You may want to try another dealer. It sounds to me that dealer is trying to milk the extended warranty.
My girlfriend thinks they are intentionally dragging it out as well. She also thinks I should go to a different dealer.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Upstate NY. Depending on where you are there is a dealer in Ithaca, Rochester and Syracuse. Also another down in Williamsport PA.

DanD182

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Upstate NY. Depending on where you are there is a dealer in Ithaca, Rochester and Syracuse. Also another down in Williamsport PA.
I’m around Albany. I really tried to keep my cool for five weeks with this dealer but I ended up getting in a yelling match on the phone with the service manager because they absolutely do not care what VW of America says. Do you think switching to another dealer would be a problem after this dealer has already started ordering parts and the warranty process? I’m sure this dealer would love for me to go elsewhere judging by the way they were talking about me while they thought I was on hold on the phone.

oilcan_boyd

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Sport, 2005 Wrangler Unlimited TDI
In the first week of March 2021 my 2012 started blowing white smoke out of the exhaust. I immediately parked it and contacted VWoA who confirmed it was under warranty. I personally towed it to the dealer on March 8th since I wasn't sure if it was an EGR cooler or head gasket and didn't want to cause more damage.
The next day the service rep said it was the primary EGR cooler and he would let me know if they found out anything else. I tried calling the rest of the week to see if they had more details with no response. On Saturday I spoke with the dealers receptionist who apologized for the lack of communication and said someone would contact me on Monday if not sooner. Tuesday I finally got a call from the service writer who said the parts had been ordered but he had no ETA. I asked about a loaner and he said they did not participate in VWs loaner program. He had two loaners from the Honda side but they were already out. I asked if I should call VWoA . He said I should and be sure to get a case number. When I called the rep said under this extended diesel warranty, if you are without your vehicle for more than 3 hours they have to supply a loaner or a rental. He gave me a case number and said a regional rep would contact me the next day. I called the dealer back and they said they wouldn't provide a rental without authorization form VW. Finally, at the end of week 2 we got a rental.
Currently we are still waiting on parts. We had a trip planned for last week and had to rent a uhaul truck to tow our camper. We made the VW rep aware of our travel plans weeks ago and she indicated they would make accommodations for a tow vehicle. After many voicemails and emails, on the day before we left, the VW rep said she was not authorized to approve the extra cost of a tow vehicle. I scrambled and found the last rental truck in the area the day we left. She told us to send her the bill and she would talk with her team and see what they could do as far as reimbursement. We still have not heard anything.
I am completely capable of diagnosing and repairing the vehicle myself. I figured since it is under warranty why spend my time and money. Now we have spent more time and money getting it fixed under warranty than if I had fixed it myself from the start. I have found the parts online from 3rd party vendors.

Sorry for the lengthy story

mannytranny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 Jetta (sold, such a great car) '16 Touareg
VW dealers suck so bad, its not even funny.

I really like the cars, but the way they deal with warranty and service is absolutely atrocious. I'll go elsewhere for my next car, no doubt.

joesmoe3

TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE DSG
Our challenge was a CEL that turned out be the result of a failed DEF sensor. Something big had happened with Fairfax Volkswagen in Fairfax, Virginia, since we were last there -- all the people were different, and the lack of experience showed. The intake people had not even heard of Dieselgate - and insisted I had to pay $160.00 for the diagnostic fee. Anyway, when they got into it, it was clear there was limited ability at work, as they made a couple of calls suggested we had not kept up with adding DEF. Then they told us the parts are not available in the US, and after seven weeks, said it was ready. Went over there, and there was a dent in the door (a small dealership - tight parking). Another two weeks went by and they had that repaired by their associated body shop -- and the drivers side (the dent was on the driver's side) window switch was jammed. The manager said, "Not our problem." Took it to an independent mechanic and $245.91 later, the car is returned to a reasonably "as-before" state.

DanD182

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI
Glad to hear I’m not he only one having problems with dealers. The dealer finally replaced the engine in the car and created 6 new check engine lights in the process. After returning the car 3 times because the CEL kept coming on with a brand new engine, they refused to work it and told me to get the car off the property or I would be charged storage fees. They have since been reported to the State of New York. The car is at another dealer that has replaced the engine wiring harness, the ground cables, and they are now replacing the alternator. I think we’re up to about $15k in warranty work and the car still has a check engine light. I’m currently waiting on delivery of a Lexus CT200H. I’m out of the diesel game. Cars going up for sale as soon as the dealer finally gets to the bottom of this. It’s basically a new car at his point.

ralekato

TDI
2013 Jetta
My 2013 TDI Jetta has had a bogging while accelerating issue from a stop for two years now. I went to one dealer and they could not find any codes so I was charged $169 for the diagnostic. Then about 6 months later I went to another dealer and they tell me "Diesels don't accelerate that fast" I'm like WHAT? I have nearly been t-boned because as I have my foot to the floor, the car won't move for about 5 seconds. I am going to try a 3rd dealer, Minuteman Volkswagen in Bedford, MA

Last edited:

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
I learned to stay clear of VW dealers shortly after I bought my Jetta in 2005. That was with the dealer in Vancouver, WA. Stay way clear of that place. They held my car prisoner for over a month not long after I bought it. They also banged up the right front before returning it. I do not know why lot attendants thing they are required to abuse customer cars. After that I relied on Fixum Haus in North Portland even after I moved to Arizona. Now I have found Wolf's in Las Vegas to be good, but expensive.