How can i increase the sound of the Turbo?

skodawagon

TDI
2008 Skoda Octavia Scout wagon, 2L, 6spd manual, 4wd
I've heard some now models have a "turbo muffler", i'm not sure if late 2000's models like my car have such a device. I just want to be able to hear my turbo, help please.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
I run a 2.5" pipe catless with a resonator, plenty loud enough without getting objectionable IMO.
Ditch the K&N filter, stock is just fine. Or just straight pipe all the way, you can always add a resonator.
The turbo chops up the sound.

skodawagon

TDI
Cheers, the K&N was free so I debating whether to add it or not for this very reason.

Diesel Fumes

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 alh tdi 5 speed
Cheers, the K&N was free so I debating whether to add it or not for this very reason.
I Think k&n filters are garbage. You need to oil them and that can foul your sensors if you're not careful. Buy quality filters. This won't affect turbo sound.

Best bet is straight pipe. Depending on the engine, catless downpipe as well.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
When I had a boost leak I could hear a lot of whistling ... I wonder if there's a way of making an adjustable boost leak for that very purpose.

Maybe something that could be plugged into the Boost pipe with a variable orifice that you can control how much air flows through and out the pipe through a whistle mechanism?

My whistling went away when the leak got worse ( has the leak got worse it went from high-pitched sound to more of a low-pitched whoosh noise ).so it's a very fine tuning required to do that unless one can make a specific piece to do it.

In my particular case the we could gotten so bad that I can only get about seven pounds of Boost Max whereas with a closed system I could get up to 24 PSI

If you delete the cat and Muffler you'll get a lot of whistling out the tailpipe.... but my assumption was you wanted the whistle to come closer to the engine compartment so you would have to have a boost week or some sort of device to do that.... Open Air air filters are generally look down upon because you lose the cold air intake but you might gain some sound tho.

Andrew

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
When I had a boost leak I could hear a lot of whistling ... I wonder if there's a way of making an adjustable boost leak for that very purpose.

Maybe something that could be plugged into the Boost pipe with a variable orifice that you can control how much air flows through and out the pipe through a whistle mechanism?

My whistling went away when the leak got worse ( has the leak got worse it went from high-pitched sound to more of a low-pitched whoosh noise ).so it's a very fine tuning required to do that unless one can make a specific piece to do it.

In my particular case the we could gotten so bad that I can only get about seven pounds of Boost Max whereas with a closed system I could get up to 24 PSI

If you delete the cat and Muffler you'll get a lot of whistling out the tailpipe.... but my assumption was you wanted the whistle to come closer to the engine compartment so you would have to have a boost week or some sort of device to do that.... Open Air air filters are generally look down upon because you lose the cold air intake but you might gain some sound tho.

Andrew
That would rob power. It be easier/better to just add a cut out in place of the cat. Flip of a switch and boom turbo noises, and lil tractor sounds. Plus having a foot of pipe behind the turbo then just free air can be really fun when rolling through town. Lots of laughs when it whistles.

skodawagon

TDI

Andrew
Cat is out so i'll see how it sounds when the car is actually running.

skodawagon

TDI
That would rob power. It be easier/better to just add a cut out in place of the cat. Flip of a switch and boom turbo noises, and lil tractor sounds. Plus having a foot of pipe behind the turbo then just free air can be really fun when rolling through town. Lots of laughs when it whistles.
The cat has been hollowed out, so it looks like its there, but its not, should hopefully hear something.

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
I gained a bunch of turbo whistle when I swapped all intake piping with custom aluminum alloy and minimal hose connections (of the shortest length possible), full aluminum IC, and a new, bigger turbo.
Made me think I had some form of crazy boost leak... Fun, unintentional bonus.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I gained a bunch of turbo whistle when I swapped all intake piping with custom aluminum alloy and minimal hose connections (of the shortest length possible), full aluminum IC, and a new, bigger turbo.
Made me think I had some form of crazy boost leak... Fun, unintentional bonus.
Even the stock vnt15's will whistle loud tho. My first car (01 beetle) was a whistler, and people loved it! I've been tempted to do the same with my now daily (same year/car different color). The only problem is i went through so many flex pipes because of the rust belt, and i didn't have a good way to weld up a solid pipe. Another problem is the cat intake to exit is different diameter as well as offset, so that made things difficult on my last car.

If you want it to whistle you have to remove the cat (maybe hollowing out is good enough) and muffler. When i ran just the empty cat on my now daily i couldn't get it to make any noise, so idk if you actually have to remove it or not. It shouldn't matter the because its just bigger steel section then a pipe again.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
Block off the oil feed line and you'll get it to scream like a banshee! :LOL: Now, then, if you want a lasting scenario/experience then refer to what others have responded with.

My ALH with a stock VNT15 will whistle a bit ("loud" relative to what? I've got a Cummins 12v- IT has a REAL whistle, one that you don't have to pretend that you're hearing!). Muffler removed: I was too cheap to have a new one put on; research had it that it didn't appreciably increase the loudness of the car.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I shouldn't say loud. Its not like subie gang loud. Its just louder then stock and when it flutters it gets peoples attn. You'll definitely notice a difference tho.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I rode in a straight piped Jetta a while back and the drone was terrible.
I don't know if the exhaust dumped in front of bumper or after it.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I rode in a straight piped Jetta a while back and the drone was terrible.
I don't know if the exhaust dumped in front of bumper or after it.
Ya, It's gotta be behind the bumper to not drone, and not be pointing at the pavement. Anywhere exiting under the car and it'll drone.