Malone Stage 2 Problems

SillyDiesel

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Hello all,
I am new to this forum. I'm no where close to a mechanic, but I do like to figure things out myself and do all of the work to my car as long as it's not too big of a job; so forgive me if I am wrong about anything or don't use the proper terms.
I have a 2013 Jetta TDI 2.0L and I purchased the full Rawtek EGR/DPF delete performance exhaust with a Malone stage 2 tune and a Malone transmission tune. About a month and a half after I got the mods put on the car, I started noticing that the engine would buck when I'm on the highway. When I am on the highway, and floor the accelerator pedal, the car would almost feel like I'm hitting a bump, or my cars tires are breaking traction. It bucks real quick, then starts accelerating like normal. Back when it first started happening, it would not happen too much, every now and then. Now it happens much more frequently. It doesn't happen every single time, but if I'm on the highway and flooring it a bunch of times, it will definitely happen at least a couple times during that trip. Even if I don't mash the accelerator pedal all the way, it will still happen every once of a while if i push it about 1/2-3/4 of the way to the floor. I think its also worth noting that I have not changed my fuel filter since I got the car at 50k miles. Its at almost 90k (i know probably wayyyy too long). But, I work at a dealership and work a lot of hours so i've been trying to find some extra time to swap the fuel filter out. I was wondering if anyone has seen this problem with their malone tune or not and if they could give me some insight as to what this might be. Do you think its an engine problem, transmission problem, or tuning issue? Any help would be appreciated.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
The fuel filter takes less than 10 minutes to change...

have you changed the transmission fluid?

you should do the full 40k mile service as a first step.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Yeah. Is say it's time for scheduled maintence. Sometimes for me. My jsw will want to downshift and it decides not to. So there's a lil hiccup. It took me awhile to reproduce. I found I have to be more even with the throttle.
Like if I go to accelerate from 40 it'll downshift once. But if I'm gradual then stab the pedal a bit. It shifts to 5 then the buck cluster will say 4 for a micro second then go back to 5.

SillyDiesel

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
The fuel filter takes less than 10 minutes to change...

have you changed the transmission fluid?

you should do the full 40k mile service as a first step.
I got a DSG service at about 80k. I agree but i have been reluctant to do the filter until I got a scan tool so I can run the pump... I don't think my pump runs in ignition mode so I've been holding on until I can do that part.

SillyDiesel

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
Yeah. Is say it's time for scheduled maintence. Sometimes for me. My jsw will want to downshift and it decides not to. So there's a lil hiccup. It took me awhile to reproduce. I found I have to be more even with the throttle.
Do you have a malone stage 2 aswell? This seems to be the exact problem i'm having. I've also noticed that it happens when i am even with the throttle. The engine will sound a little weird, the car will buck, and then it will downshift and go into a lower gear and everything's fine again. It's a little hard to exactly explain the problem because it always happens when i am not expecting it.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
When's the last time your fuel filter was changed? Also check your hpfp for metal. But contact Malone. Maybe your trans software needs to be slightly modified.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I got a DSG service at about 80k. I agree but i have been reluctant to do the filter until I got a scan tool so I can run the pump... I don't think my pump runs in ignition mode so I've been holding on until I can do that part.
You can do the filter without priming, just refill the filter housing with clean, fresh diesel once you've cleaned it out.

SillyDiesel

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
When's the last time your fuel filter was changed? Also check your hpfp for metal. But contact Malone. Maybe your trans software needs to be slightly modified.
Couldn't tell you last time it was changed. I know, probably not a good idea. Thanks for the advice i will do that.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I change mine every fall. So 40k. But if I ever have running issues I add a bit of red diesel supliment and change my filter asap

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In about the same time it took to make this post, you could have changed the fuel filter. You do not need to do anything special, just drop a new element in and put a new o-ring on and close it back up. The canister will still have plenty of fuel left in it.

It is supposed to be changed every other service (20k miles).

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
In about the same time it took to make this post, you could have changed the fuel filter. You do not need to do anything special, just drop a new element in and put a new o-ring on and close it back up. The canister will still have plenty of fuel left in it.

It is supposed to be changed every other service (20k miles).
That is is. Well I always get fuel from high volume places. I need to change mine to a spin on so it's not 50 bucks for a early style filter. But yeah. Less than 10 min even if the housing is drained and cleaned.

Reactions: tjg

x1800MODMY360x

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL
That don't look so bad as mine was, I changed mine and who ever put one in used a most pos chinese filter that the filter was nasty and had debris on the bottom of the filter canister.