Back after a long absence...

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat daily, a bunch of others in the graveyard out back...
Well, I've been away for a while, and I'm hoping some BHW gurus can get me up to speed... this is gonna be long winded, sorry in advance.

Was kinda doing my own thing with ALH stuff... Mostly using FB groups for help, but I broke a block a few months ago through years of abuse and neglect and decided the Jetta wasn't worth saving. Had an HE221, R520, 11mm pump, DIY tune, etc etc. I'd guess 200+whp but it never saw a Dyno.

Now the TDI craving struck again and I just picked up an 05 Passat and it's... different... than my ALH Jettas, and I was on A3/B4 cars before that... So I'm used to simpler (cheaper) cars and VE motors.

It will eventually get all hopped up and manual swapped, but that's a 2022/23 plan... Just want to daily it now.

Fantastic interior condition, loaded, black leather, loooove it. Exterior is above average for WI but has rusty fenders... Engine bay looks unmolested but I got it for $1700 because it has a chronic low boost issue and a code for the "throttle motor" which I assume is the anti shudder valve acting up...

Now the actual questions:

what fits from the 1.8T as far as upgrading the intercooler and piping? Or other options? 1.8T stuff seems alot more available... The clip connections are iffy, I've found a few loose connections with worn tabs, and I'm not looking to spend $500 for stock replacement hoses all around... Rather spend a little more for an upgrade or FMIC...

Best options for 5speed swap? and can I use the flywheel and clutch from the ALH/02J? Got a fairly new stage 3 clutch sitting around...

EGR/ASV delete kit? Anything weird with that or basically like an ALH delete?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Well, I've been away for a while, and I'm hoping some BHW gurus can get me up to speed... this is gonna be long winded, sorry in advance.

Was kinda doing my own thing with ALH stuff... Mostly using FB groups for help, but I broke a block a few months ago through years of abuse and neglect and decided the Jetta wasn't worth saving. Had an HE221, R520, 11mm pump, DIY tune, etc etc. I'd guess 200+whp but it never saw a Dyno.

Now the TDI craving struck again and I just picked up an 05 Passat and it's... different... than my ALH Jettas, and I was on A3/B4 cars before that... So I'm used to simpler (cheaper) cars and VE motors.

It will eventually get all hopped up and manual swapped, but that's a 2022/23 plan... Just want to daily it now.

Fantastic interior condition, loaded, black leather, loooove it. Exterior is above average for WI but has rusty fenders... Engine bay looks unmolested but I got it for $1700 because it has a chronic low boost issue and a code for the "throttle motor" which I assume is the anti shudder valve acting up...

Now the actual questions:

what fits from the 1.8T as far as upgrading the intercooler and piping? Or other options? 1.8T stuff seems alot more available... The clip connections are iffy, I've found a few loose connections with worn tabs, and I'm not looking to spend $500 for stock replacement hoses all around... Rather spend a little more for an upgrade or FMIC...

Best options for 5speed swap? and can I use the flywheel and clutch from the ALH/02J? Got a fairly new stage 3 clutch sitting around...

EGR/ASV delete kit? Anything weird with that or basically like an ALH delete?
First of all, I would recommend diagnosing the low boost issue. There is a thread in the stickies about that. Do you have vagcom? That's going to be very helpful for diagnosing.
I am not sure what will work from the 1.8t. I do know that aftermarket hoses for these don't tend to work very well, and often will blow after not too long. Are the boost hoses leaking, or just a bit loose? They are always kinda loose, not like a hoseclamped fitting. For a 5 speed swap, nothing from the a4 cars will work, they are different, the transmission you will need would be from Europe, Dutch auto parts imports a full swap kit, as they didn't have the b5 tdi with a manual here in the USA. Some people have used a gasser transmission, but they have the wrong gearing for the tdi.
Egr delete is the same as a BEW. I left the asv in my car, but another one I have had the asv gutted.

Do you know whether the balance shaft has been done on your car? That would be one of the big things I would worry about before hopping it up. Id also recommend checking the cam on it, as they're known to wear, and that can cause a low boost issue as well.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Low boost issue is the top of the list. Man I hope it's not a camshaft.. lol. Going off the clip type connection on the ALH for its pancake pipe, which is pretty snug with very little wiggle, most of these are "OK" but 2 of them are sloppy loose.

It's got an ebay turbo on it 😬 but the issues were present before and after turbo replacement. Guy I bought it from thought that it just needed a turbo, swapped turbo and gave up on it when it still had issues after.

Avoiding VCDS honestly. I understand their reasoning, but business models that artificially inhibit the software or use paywalls are something I try not to support if I can help it. It certainly is a useful piece of software, and I may decide that I do in fact need it again, but today is not that day.

i don't know if balance shaft was dealt with but yes that's on the to-do list at same time as 5spd... Again, hopefully next year.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Took photos of camshaft... Haven't the foggiest ideas of how to post them...

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Low boost issue is the top of the list. Man I hope it's not a camshaft.. lol. Going off the clip type connection on the ALH for its pancake pipe, which is pretty snug with very little wiggle, most of these are "OK" but 2 of them are sloppy loose.

It's got an ebay turbo on it 😬 but the issues were present before and after turbo replacement. Guy I bought it from thought that it just needed a turbo, swapped turbo and gave up on it when it still had issues after.

Avoiding VCDS honestly. I understand their reasoning, but business models that artificially inhibit the software or use paywalls are something I try not to support if I can help it. It certainly is a useful piece of software, and I may decide that I do in fact need it again, but today is not that day.

i don't know if balance shaft was dealt with but yes that's on the to-do list at same time as 5spd... Again, hopefully next year.
If you can get an unlimited vin version, that can help. Even getting the full version made for shops is way cheaper than any other brands diagnostic software, and there's no yearly or monthly subscription.
I got by with an Autel maxisys and it'll do most things that Vagcom will do, but it's a little bit harder to do.
I'd do a smoke test and see if it has a leak.
To post photos, you have to upload it to media, or to a hosting site. https://forums.tdiclub.com/index.ph...in-xenforo-and-use-them-in-your-posts.509454/

Hope the eBay turbo will not cause more problems now... So often people replace the turbo on these for a p0299 code, and most of the time that's not the issue...
How does the cam look then?

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm not really sure what "bad" looks like but this looks ok to me... I wouldn't really know though I guess.

Yea the ebay turbo is not something I want to keep in there long term, but not a "change asap" item either. Probably a hybrid from Xman when he runs a special.

Mozambiquer

TDI
That doesn't look bad, basically visually, watch for a sharp non chamfered edge at the end. A bad one often has it worn flat and the lifter is dished in the middle.
Do you know when the timing belt was last done? They're due at 80k miles on these ones.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
Ive got a folder with some records so I'll look, I didn't know it was 80k instead of 100k like ALH. It's probably due...

Goin on vacation tomorrow so I'll have to look at it when I get back but really all I can think of at this point is some small boost leaks or bad N75 leaving the vanes open. If I drive it pretty gently it makes some boost and it won't go into limp mode until I try to go faster, like above 40. If I drive it "normal" it will do it in the first minute or two of driving.

Like I said, a couple intercooler pipe connections feel sloppy... And there is some oily residue at both the EGR flange and the ASV flange, but it's not like it's just wet with oil. Some build up in the EGR when I pulled it, not bad.

The to-do list when I get back is to improve those intercooler pipe connections, redo all the vacuum lines, possibly swap n75.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Ive got a folder with some records so I'll look, I didn't know it was 80k instead of 100k like ALH. It's probably due...

Goin on vacation tomorrow so I'll have to look at it when I get back but really all I can think of at this point is some small boost leaks or bad N75 leaving the vanes open. If I drive it pretty gently it makes some boost and it won't go into limp mode until I try to go faster, like above 40. If I drive it "normal" it will do it in the first minute or two of driving.

Like I said, a couple intercooler pipe connections feel sloppy... And there is some oily residue at both the EGR flange and the ASV flange, but it's not like it's just wet with oil. Some build up in the EGR when I pulled it, not bad.

The to-do list when I get back is to improve those intercooler pipe connections, redo all the vacuum lines, possibly swap n75.
The n75 is another part commonly thrown at a low boost issue, but I doubt that it is the problem in your case. I'd check for boost leaks and then check for a stuck open EGR valve and also verify we have good vacuum.

ketchupshirt88

Veteran Member
TDI
I won't be just throwing $60 at it for a new N75, but I'll grab one off a parts car and give it a shot...

I pulled the EGR. It was shut and looked normal, so I don't think it's sticking open, but like I said, a bit of grimy residue around the flange, so it may be bleeding some boost there... But not a major leak.

Ive just been tinkering in my driveway thus far, I'll actually pull it into my dad's shop when I get home from vacation. At that point I'll be digging deeper.

I'm perfectly comfortable pulling everything on the passenger side of the motor off to check it all out... I can rule out leaking EGR by popping an old non egr manifold on and block off plates, I can put a different n75 on, redo vacuum lines.... I'll get it sorted out eventually... Lol