I'm tired of chasing fuel economy on the ALH...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
As the title says, it's starting to get old chasing fuel economy on the ALH. For starters, I keep hearing about 45-60mpg on the ALH depending on things like hypermiling, conservative tunes, babying the motor, etc.

I have a mix of being conservative and also having fun with the throttle. Where I live, in Texas Hill Country, we have (as aptly named) LOTS of hills and curvy roads, plus I've required AC about 95% of the time this summer. That said, with the mods in my signature (for my 2002 Golf), is it bad seeing 36-40mpg in these conditions? Of course, I see better FE numbers when the AC is off, but it's too hot and humid to do a full tank this time of year with the AC off to see what I'm getting. I had some problems trying to do a compression test, so I'll attempt that if I get a chance maybe next week, but the car otherwise runs pretty good and starts up right away, and doesn't seem to smoke much at all when idling.

OkamiTech

TDI
2000 Jetta
Those are still really good numbers. My last tank was about 42mpg completely stock, I do try to keep FE in mind most of the time. As for chasing numbers, its really hard to compare different areas and cars. Power tunes vs FE tune, mostly hills vs mostly flat, amount of city vs highway, the amount of load. Its hard to account for all the variables.
As such the top FE really try for it. Thinking about things like the weight and size of wheels, 5th gear swaps, and really watching driving style.
With the mods you have I would think you are more of a power person. As one myself I dont expect to ever see over 45mpg.
And being in FL myself, I totally agree with not wanting to turn the AC off. Sadly it has come time to the blend doors.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I drive the piss out of mine. No tune, 10mm pump, Dlc764 injectors set to stage 3 flow, straight pipe, egr delete, ported head and stage 2 cam. If I do mostly highway driving I'll get around 42-44 ish. If it's a mix of city and highway, it's usually just below 40 or so, but I don't really monitor those tanks as much as I do mainly highway tanks.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Just ran to Yuma and back, I've started a log to keep track of mileage. I know it's not accurate to do it on one tank but couldn't help myself. 39mpg, Stage IV Malone tune still blowing through the stock exhaust. Can't WAIT to uncork that.

James

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Those aren’t really bad numbers for you with hills and A/C on all the time.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think those numbers are low by about 10%, maybe more. My '99.5 Golf with RC3 only gets 45 MPG pretty consistently. I don't do a lot of stop and go driving in it, but I do run some back highways and won't hesitate to drive at 90 MPH on the interstate if traffic is going that fast. 80 is a pretty normal highway speed around here.

As to why your numbers are lower, I have no idea. Sometimes it seems ALH owners get "stuck" with lower FE and, as your post indicates, get tired of chasing the FE.

Prairieview

Veteran Member
TDI
Two 2000 Beetles, 2002 Jetta, 2002 gas avh Jetta, fleet of older 1.6 turbo and non's
Quite frankly, I don't care what others say.....there is a LOT of male bovine excrement on these pages and you don't have to look very far when "they" start talking about their fuel mileage. I have been driving VW diesels since early 1979 and I never swim in the big mileage waters. My stuff does very well. And, at my 3500 to 5400 feet in elevation, it is reasonable. Don't bust your bladder trying to pee in the tall grass.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Pk,
I'd also say those are pretty good numbers. Best I ever got in my ALH 5spd, bone stock was 56mpg. And I was really trying for it. Lots of coasting from 50+mph down to 10mph, then stopping. Driving as much as possible like a blind old lady.

Once I put the 17" wheels, PP520 nozzles and stage 3 Malone on, best I could get was 45mpg 70% highway, the rest country back roads, no AC, flat ground and coasting the 1/4 mile to a stop sign...

Now I drive 95% city with stops every mile in a BEW auto and best I can get is 38mpg...

With the conditions you describe, I'd say you're in the ball park. Plus, I'm guessing you like to have fun with your car, and that's going to negatively effect your mileage.

Drive more, have fun, worry less.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Those are still really good numbers. My last tank was about 42mpg completely stock, I do try to keep FE in mind most of the time. As for chasing numbers, its really hard to compare different areas and cars. Power tunes vs FE tune, mostly hills vs mostly flat, amount of city vs highway, the amount of load. Its hard to account for all the variables.
As such the top FE really try for it. Thinking about things like the weight and size of wheels, 5th gear swaps, and really watching driving style.
With the mods you have I would think you are more of a power person. As one myself I dont expect to ever see over 45mpg.
And being in FL myself, I totally agree with not wanting to turn the AC off. Sadly it has come time to the blend doors.
I tried to adjust to the humidity several years ago by doing Florida without AC (summer of 2014). Now? yeah, pass, unless I'm in a kayak or on a body board. :D

@alphaseinor sells those blend door plugs on ebay. He actually helped me swap over the LSD from my destroyed transmission, and we put the .717 on (5th and 2nd were destroyed, and I wanted something a little taller than the .756 while still being able to tow).

Those aren’t really bad numbers for you with hills and A/C on all the time.
Here I wasn't sure. I know @Franko6 brags about getting 40mpg doing 90mph+, but Missouri is mostly flat. Lots of up and down here. Even if they're mild grades mostly, it's still constant up and down and curves. Now I'm feeling better about my FE numbers...

I think those numbers are low by about 10%, maybe more. My '99.5 Golf with RC3 only gets 45 MPG pretty consistently. I don't do a lot of stop and go driving in it, but I do run some back highways and won't hesitate to drive at 90 MPH on the interstate if traffic is going that fast. 80 is a pretty normal highway speed around here.

As to why your numbers are lower, I have no idea. Sometimes it seems ALH owners get "stuck" with lower FE and, as your post indicates, get tired of chasing the FE.
But does your neck of the woods have the hills and curves we have, or is it mostly flat roads? I should've also mentioned too that speed limits out here are 55-75, which realistically means the flow of traffic is 55-90, with mandatory AC. I love rain, don't get me wrong, but every day has been 60% humidity or more and rain. I have noticed that fuel economy is in the crapper when the road gets wet.

Now I drive 95% city with stops every mile in a BEW auto and best I can get is 38mpg...

With the conditions you describe, I'd say you're in the ball park. Plus, I'm guessing you like to have fun with your car, and that's going to negatively effect your mileage.

Drive more, have fun, worry less.
That sounds about right with the BEW (mom's beater car). I'd love to throw in a 02J I pulled from another BEW, but that might be a project for 2022. I don't think I've ever seen over 38mpg on that car in fact.

Last edited:

nicklockard

Torque Dorque
TDI
SOLD 2010 Touareg Tdi w/factory Tow PCKG
#1 determinant is your speeds. People posting 49mpg drive S.L.0.0.0.0.W. Super slow. I don't drive an ALH anymore, but my best tank every was 747 miles on a vented tank (2002 Jetta sedan). For that tank, I drove SLOOOOOOOOW. It was hard. Never could get anywhere close to that again because I just don't have that kind of patience in life.

Heck, even commuting by motorcycle, I would be getting 55 mpg if I just drove at the speed limits. But I can't crack 43 mpg.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
If the car is set up right you can see good FE at reasonable speeds. Last Summer I put up 3. 49+ MPG tanks in my Wagon driving to Wisconsin and back, A/C on the entire time, mostly with the cruise set at 78 MPH. I see 47-49 in regular driving, which often includes driving at 80+ on the highway. I have a .700 5th in the car, but it can't make that big a difference.

When my son moved to Wisconsin I drove his Golf out there. He was driving his old truck and had to go 68 MPH to keep it happy. I got 53 MPG on the first tank on that trip. A/C on then, too. Car is bone stock.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I recently removed the Golf's roof rack and saw a few miles/gal improvement. Was going to try to get some more official numbers this weekend with a 5.5-hour drive to Pennsylvania but it's developed a power steering leak and I don't have time to diagnose (Panzer Plate is great but one more barrier between me and the source of the leak) and fix it before then. Will have to take the wagon.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Traffic is a major determinant as well - as IBW posted, going 90mph "if that's the speed of traffic flow" helps a LOT. If you're doing 90mph and there's not another car in sight, your mileage is going to be way down.
Do a lot of cycling and you'll be shocked at how much faster you can go on a busy highway (with a big, 3m wide, rumble-strip-protected shoulder) compared to a quiet one.

JohnTF

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta 1.9 TDI ALH A.T. Wagon
My auto is doing ok at 228,000 , did buy manual swap parts , had the car less 6 mths.
Timing was retarded about 42* with Ross-Tech cable hard to start in morning and MPG was about 32 city driving , changed the timing to 53* and went up 2* and starts easy in morning now .
Stock , nothing deleted , I need to check for restricted exhaust , cleaning the EGR valve & about 3-4 " into intake , so rest of intake to clean later .
Once I get the car breathing better , and putin manual , hope to 45mpg +
Lots of VW diesels in past and getting 55mpg was easy , mixed driving .

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I have a sticky in the Fuel Economy section.

But once you start modifying things, the variables increase so much that once you add in the variable of the driver and the roads almost no two cars will be identical.

And no matter what, unless something is SERIOUSLY wrong, ANY TDI is going to get "good" fuel economy. I don't care which one it is or how you drive it. So fretting over some 2-4 MPG variance is hardly worth it beyond the things I outline in my sticky.

I have two 5sp ALHs in my rotation now. Neither is 100% stock, but neither is what I would call heavily modded either. And they both can vary some depending on ambient temps and how I am driving them. One seems less affected by high speeds, despite the other having a taller ratio transmission in it from a BEW car. But both can tag a 50+ MPG tank fairly easily. I just don't want to drive THAT slow THAT much.

The Passat that my wife drives mostly, is much more consistent. It lands 38-40 every tank, summer or winter, every time.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
PK - Auto or manual ? When I had my 5 speed conversion done, I saw an IMMEDIATE increase in FE from 38 to mid 40's - no other changes. Even now, mostly driving in KC , I run about 40-42 with full blown AC, and when I go on a highway run, (speed limits 55-75), I see about the same, maybe a little better. The slower you go, the better the MPG. Usual rule in an ALH is speed+MPG = 120 or so. And my Beetle is certainly modded - RC stage 2 and larger fuel injection nozzles is just the start.

My 2015 Golf (DSG) also performs about the same n the FE dept, although its mods are limited to the Dieselgate updates.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
If the car is set up right you can see good FE at reasonable speeds. Last Summer I put up 3. 49+ MPG tanks in my Wagon driving to Wisconsin and back, A/C on the entire time, mostly with the cruise set at 78 MPH. I see 47-49 in regular driving, which often includes driving at 80+ on the highway. I have a .700 5th in the car, but it can't make that big a difference.

When my son moved to Wisconsin I drove his Golf out there. He was driving his old truck and had to go 68 MPH to keep it happy. I got 53 MPG on the first tank on that trip. A/C on then, too. Car is bone stock.
I don't know how much of a difference it makes, but bone stock, I got 45mpg on one tank and 47mpg on another, driving this car home from CA (flew out one way to buy it). I also didn't have AC, because the compressor $hit the bed (literally, when we pulled refrigerant and refilled at a friend's shop; it had over 16oz of PAG in it).

Lucky you on the .700 5th. I would've considered that if it were an option to purchase.

I have a sticky in the Fuel Economy section.
I forgot there was/is a FE section. Something else to check out later.
I have two 5sp ALHs in my rotation now. Neither is 100% stock, but neither is what I would call heavily modded either. And they both can vary some depending on ambient temps and how I am driving them. One seems less affected by high speeds, despite the other having a taller ratio transmission in it from a BEW car. But both can tag a 50+ MPG tank fairly easily. I just don't want to drive THAT slow THAT much.
How slow is slow? And MO is still mostly flat where you are, right? I was thinking about it yesterday - the best comparison to Texas Hill County might be the Appalachians in Pennsylvania, but with 55-75mph speed limits, instead of the ridiculously slow CA speed limits they have there (and absurd window tint restrictions).

PK - Auto or manual ? When I had my 5 speed conversion done, I saw an IMMEDIATE increase in FE from 38 to mid 40's - no other changes. Even now, mostly driving in KC , I run about 40-42 with full blown AC, and when I go on a highway run, (speed limits 55-75), I see about the same, maybe a little better. The slower you go, the better the MPG. Usual rule in an ALH is speed+MPG = 120 or so. And my Beetle is certainly modded - RC stage 2 and larger fuel injection nozzles is just the start.

My 2015 Golf (DSG) also performs about the same n the FE dept, although its mods are limited to the Dieselgate updates.
I took mom's 2015 Golf, also a DSG, to get a new DPF (under the CPO warranty), so we gotta reflash her tune on. She said it's so boring to drive now!

If you saw my signature, you'd see I only own manuals. The only automatic I have is sitting on a pallet, listed on ebay for cheap.

#1 determinant is your speeds. People posting 49mpg drive S.L.0.0.0.0.W. Super slow. I don't drive an ALH anymore, but my best tank every was 747 miles on a vented tank (2002 Jetta sedan). For that tank, I drove SLOOOOOOOOW. It was hard. Never could get anywhere close to that again because I just don't have that kind of patience in life.

Heck, even commuting by motorcycle, I would be getting 55 mpg if I just drove at the speed limits. But I can't crack 43 mpg.
Haha LOL! I joke on the facebook groups for people living in our rural town about changing the speed limit on the highway from 65 to 45, for all the California transplants coming here (who do drive that slow), and it gets people riled up!

But on a serious note - when I got 47mpg in the car, I was probably doing about 70 on I-10. Maybe a little slower? My speedometer was substantially off. It's now calibrated where what it reads might be +1mph, which is fine. I actually picked up 46mpg yesterday on a 30 mile run, but mostly downhill, and I don't think that counts much. Had to honk at someone who was inappropriately using the passing lane AND towing, doing 50 in a 70. Lo and behold, California license plates (they seem to all have this fixation with doing 55 or under while towing, even in other states). It did help the FE numbers when it was a single lane road, though.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've posted something similar to this before, but here's a string of fills on IBW from last summer. The bottom three are from a very quick trip (Friday evening to Sunday afternoon) to Wisconsin, and the rest are daily driving. My default highway speed is 75-80 MPH. A/C was on for nearly all of this.

Sorry for the big image.

Although this was a better than average run of fills for reasons I can't explain, my average in IBW over the last 215K on Fuelly is 46.9 MPG. This includes many miles when it was much more heavily modified than it has been for the last 140K or so. So the average has been creeping up. Average miles per tank for that 215K is 706, I believe.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
As the title says, it's starting to get old chasing fuel economy on the ALH. For starters, I keep hearing about 45-60mpg on the ALH depending on things like hypermiling, conservative tunes, babying the motor, etc.

I have a mix of being conservative and also having fun with the throttle. Where I live, in Texas Hill Country, we have (as aptly named) LOTS of hills and curvy roads, plus I've required AC about 95% of the time this summer. That said, with the mods in my signature (for my 2002 Golf), is it bad seeing 36-40mpg in these conditions? Of course, I see better FE numbers when the AC is off, but it's too hot and humid to do a full tank this time of year with the AC off to see what I'm getting. I had some problems trying to do a compression test, so I'll attempt that if I get a chance maybe next week, but the car otherwise runs pretty good and starts up right away, and doesn't seem to smoke much at all when idling.
You are 100% Correct, over years with speed increase on most HWY and diesel fuel chnage with much less sulfur in it MPG dropped.
My best tank now I can get 45-46 with all prefect conditions, average 40-42, But I have seen low as 30mph (Front wind very strong, -5F temp, I was able to slow down form 80 to 60 in 5 sec with out using brake ). I use to get 50-55 easy , but that was when speed was 65-70 , and now 75-80, and with old Diesel.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
Sorry for the big image.

Although this was a better than average run of fills for reasons I can't explain, my average in IBW over the last 215K on Fuelly is 46.9 MPG. This includes many miles when it was much more heavily modified than it has been for the last 140K or so. So the average has been creeping up. Average miles per tank for that 215K is 706, I believe.
You're doing a lot better than me, still. Do you use any additives in your fuel at all? I occasionally used Optilube XPD, but only when I'd pump from my diesel transfer tank (like on trips to the West Coast, where I refuse to buy fuel in CA when I'm out there).

Marin also has a good point too, about how speeds have increased, but we have crappier fuel. I didn't own a diesel when everyone went to ULSD, so I can't personally compare. But since Marin is also here in Texas, he knows first hand that speed limits have changed (the flow of traffic in DFW is between 70 and 90, depending on the time of day and highway).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I always use an additive, either Opti-Lube XPD or Stanadyne. I have a 275 gallon tank at my house with a pump that I always dose with additive when I have it filled, and I carry additive when I'm on a road trip and have to fill up away from home. I honestly don't know if it helps, but it's a habit now.

Speeds have increased, it's true. I drive the length of the Mass Pike a lot, and there's a section between I84 and I95 that has always moved right along. Lately that means 85-90 in the middle lane. Used to be 75-80. And I'm always amazed at how fast people drive in Michigan, and now, with the increase in speed limit on the turnpike, Ohio.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I always use an additive, either Opti-Lube XPD or Stanadyne. I have a 275 gallon tank at my house with a pump that I always dose with additive when I have it filled, and I carry additive when I'm on a road trip and have to fill up away from home. I honestly don't know if it helps, but it's a habit now.

Speeds have increased, it's true. I drive the length of the Mass Pike a lot, and there's a section between I84 and I95 that has always moved right along. Lately that means 85-90 in the middle lane. Used to be 75-80. And I'm always amazed at how fast people drive in Michigan, and now, with the increase in speed limit on the turnpike, Ohio.
Always see lots of troopers on Ohio. Went past a number last weekend in the suburban at 80 mph and didn’t blink an eye.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
My rule is to drive an indicated 10 MPH over the speed limit. So indicated 80 in a MKIV is 77 actual, not enough over the 70 MPH limit on the turnpike to get a trooper's attention. If I get into a cluster of cars that are moving faster than 10 over I'll go with it, feeling I won't be picked out of a crowd. That can happen pretty often: I remember crossing NY State on the turnpike at 85 MPH (limit is 65) in a group of cars for hours.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
That’s what I do, usually. I have two buddies who are NYS Troopers (one gave me a trooper PBA card and sticker!). They say no one will bother you at 10 mph over the posted limit. Unless you’re “driving like an a$$hole” to quote a trooper. Since I have the sticker, I keep it around 80 on the thruway. Suburban speedo is dead on, plus it has the tattler from Allstate insurance that dinged my discount if I go over 80.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
What kind of FE does a Suburban get at 80? I wonder when I see those big vehicles blow by me.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
Driving from Albany to Minnesota I got 16.7 mpg according to the optimistic DIC. By the time I returned (kinda downhill the way back) the average mpg increased to 17.1 for the entire trip (2,200 miles).

noob_tl

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 NB
But on a serious note - when I got 47mpg in the car, I was probably doing about 70 on I-10. Maybe a little slower? My speedometer was substantially off. It's now calibrated where what it reads might be +1mph, which is fine. I actually picked up 46mpg yesterday on a 30 mile run, but mostly downhill, and I don't think that counts much.
If your speedo is off, then so is your odometer. Maybe you weren't getting the mileage you thought you were.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
If your speedo is off, then so is your odometer. Maybe you weren't getting the mileage you thought you were.
I have Avus wheels with stock size tires, and the mileage seems dead on, but the Speedo reads optimistically, say plus 3 or 4 mph?

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M
For the vast majority of stock VWs, the odometer is dead-on, despite the speedometer reading lower than actual speed. The intentional "error" in the speedo (for most German cars) does not mean the odo is off. A search will reveal lots more info and some of the original threads discussing German regulations regarding both. Once owners make changes to tire size, etc., the indicators obviously change.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
It's definitely not off. I calibrated my speedometer, so at some of the higher numbers, I might be +1mph. So if it says 55mph, GPS might actually say 56mph. It was way off after I bought the car (like 7-8mph faster than the car's actual speed). Also, when I record fuel economy from my ColorMFA, it's VERY close to what it is hand calculated.