What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
What about punching holes in it and running a dimple die over them? Meets the intent of the tunnel brace while adding ventilation

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
What about punching holes in it and running a dimple die over them? Meets the intent of the tunnel brace while adding ventilation
Better yet it might be nice if the manufacturer louvered it. But then again would that be counter productive to high speed high heat regens?

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
I wouldn’t worry if our TDI’s are deleted. If yours isnt…. Well the discussion above is logical.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I wouldn’t worry if our TDI’s are deleted. If yours isnt…. Well the discussion above is logical.
I wouldn’t either IF I was able to delete. Unfortunately I'm full function DPF

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Meh…. Being in the left coast truly sucks today. I was born and raised in California during its heydays. Moved the heck outta there when they turned left.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
Yup, I love FL. ballzy stand on no mask... One of the healthiest states around too...

Just sayin

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Yup, I love FL. ballzy stand on no mask... One of the healthiest states around too...
Florida is one of three states I'm considering retiring to.

Spent almost all my life in California, but the taxes are oppressive, and they make it harder and harder to enjoy diesel engined vehicles. Heck, brand new gasoline engine vehicles go 6 years before requiring a bi-annual smog check, but a brand new diesel requires a bi-annual smog check immediately.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep thats why I moved the heck outta there. I do miss old days of California. They used to be like Florida as it is nowadays. I love it here but FYI the heat and the humidity here is brutal. if you don't mind that then go for it. :)

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Just replaced all 4 rotors (well scored) with new Brembo rotors and Porterfield R4-S pads. Substantially improved "bite" from the pads, and new rotors were the correct 312mm diameter vs. the wrong sized 288 mm rotor the prior owner installed. Porterfield R4-S pads are my "go to" pads and I use them on all my vehicles. Very happy with the performance, no fade, and low dusting.

I installed the ECS Street Shield skid pan as well as the tunnel brace as well. That should help protect the bottom side, but more importantly, make it a little more difficult for someone to cut out and run off with the catalytic converter.

Lastly, replaced the stock rear sway bar with a GTI rear bar. I ordered Lemforder endlinks to replace the stock endlinks that were rusted and I cut off with an angle grinder.

Busy weekend, but the Sportwagen is running well!
Which Porterfield R4-S pads did you purchase? They do not seem to list a specific pad for our vehicles on their website.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
Which Porterfield R4-S pads did you purchase? They do not seem to list a specific pad for our vehicles on their website.
Porterfield is very helpful if you call them and great people, but the website is hard to navigate.

Livermore Performance (link below) has an easier to navigate website and they offer discounted pricing on the Porterfield pads. Have bought several sets from them.

The specific pads I bought for the JSW TDI (312mm front rotor, 272mm rear rotor) were:

Porterfield R4-S:
Front: AP 1107
Rear: AP 1456

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
best to say our cars are MK6 Golf TDI. they share same brake rotors and pads as far as I can remember.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
LOL was planning on doing that this weekend but the weather is not permitting......... plus 2015 Passat is overdue for oil change as the MFD just threw "oil change now!" warning. got my girlfriend paranoid haha told her to check oil, its all good. my JSW has about 2k miles on oil remaining but engine is getting a tad loud, time to do oil change anyway.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Also we considered of going to the Left coast within 2 weeks but canned the plan due to rising gas prices and extreme heat waves going on in the Left coast. not a good time to go there......... sadly..... with the 2015 Passat being black.... not a good combo. :)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Also we considered of going to the Left coast within 2 weeks but canned the plan due to rising gas prices and extreme heat waves going on in the Left coast. not a good time to go there......... sadly..... with the 2015 Passat being black.... not a good combo. :)
I got a oil sucker. Topside oil changes are sooooo nice. Can do one in 5 min even with the car roasting hot.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
I got a oil sucker. Topside oil changes are sooooo nice. Can do one in 5 min even with the car roasting hot.
ha! yup I got the kit as well, love it! Sadly it wont work for the 2015's.... it's down there.... lol.... (if I knew... I wouldn't have bought the 2015.....)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
ha! yup I got the kit as well, love it! Sadly it wont work for the 2015's.... it's down there.... lol.... (if I knew... I wouldn't have bought the 2015.....)

Really? The filter is under them on the newer ones? Is their already an access panel? Or is it a bellypan removal. Welp. Invest in ramps. I'd still suck the oil out from the top.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Really? The filter is under them on the newer ones? Is their already an access panel? Or is it a bellypan removal. Welp. Invest in ramps. I'd still suck the oil out from the top.
yup its under the car plus the location of the oil filter is right above of the wiring which made me cuss every time I do the oil change. Its a truly PITA. I am thankful for my CJAA powered 2014 JSW plus her daughter’s 2013 Jetta TDI. Super easy to work on.
For the 2015? Not so much, LOL too many hoses everywhere that got my eyes crossed.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
yup its under the car plus the location of the oil filter is right above of the wiring which made me cuss every time I do the oil change. Its a truly PITA. I am thankful for my CJAA powered 2014 JSW plus her daughter’s 2013 Jetta TDI. Super easy to work on.
For the 2015? Not so much, LOL too many hoses everywhere that got my eyes crossed.

Need one of those form-a-funnels

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Oil change and underhood inspection including air filter which was fine at 10000 miles. Oil I use is 5w30 AMSOIL Euro Diesel, the VW 507 version. Amazing engine. No measurable oil use between 10000 mile changes.
Nice. I use the 0w-40 505 euro oil. I'm down about half quart at 10k. I'm sure It's all sucked through the pcv system (being stage 2). I need to install a catch can.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Need one of those form-a-funnels
if you dont have MK7 or 2015 Passat then no need for that.

the MK6 is way easier and more fun to work on. Once deleted and tuned with CP3 swap plus harmonic balancer protector plate, you are golden.
I have old 2micron harmonic balancer protector but now I have whitbread kits, super nice and exact copy of old 2micron.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
the MK6 is way easier and more fun to work on. Once deleted and tuned with CP3 swap plus harmonic balancer protector plate, you are golden.
I have old 2micron harmonic balancer protector but now I have whitbread kits, super nice and exact copy of old 2micron.

Wow - thanks for posting that @calimustang! Never knew such a timing belt protector existed!

My dealer quoted me $2,100 to change the timing belt, so I'm thinking that for half the price, I can buy the tools, timing belt kit, this plate and the CP3. I guess that will be my project in the next couple of months!

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Wow - thanks for posting that @calimustang! Never knew such a timing belt protector existed!

My dealer quoted me $2,100 to change the timing belt, so I'm thinking that for half the price, I can buy the tools, timing belt kit, this plate and the CP3. I guess that will be my project in the next couple of months!
2100?! Holy f. My dealer wants 1500.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
@rtking Yeow! 2100???? Its like you are burning your hard cold earned dead president bills away just for !

$1200 for my stealership years ago. @DivineChaos $1500 sounds about right for the time around.

you guys are welcome for the timing belt protector plate linky. That has been truly long wait request, finally he heard us and made them. Hope this spreads like wildfire.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
Finally swapped the Koni yellow struts yesterday, to match the rear shocks I updated earlier. Also replaced the axle and pinch bolts since they are torque to yield. It took a lot longer than intended as stuck bits slowed me down. With the stock springs, I kept them at 1/4 turn from full soft for now.

JD_2012GolfTDI

TDI
2012 Golf Kerma tuned
Awesome how do she drive now?
It's a new normal I'll have to get used to. I guess I got used to the old squishy suspension that would spit me out of corners like a springboard. Now the car is more suspended in corners and squishes down more, when I used to anticipate being bounced out of turns. It will take a bit of getting used to, but is most definitely an overall improvement in ride quality. More seat time is needed. I've only had two rides with limited spirited time. New tires are next and thinking Michelin pilot sport a/s 3+

fastalan

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI Wagon
My car just received a new DPF and EGR from the dealer under the emission warranty. So I cleaned the interior of the exhaust pipes that have been pretty much sooty for the last 5 years. Hopefully, the exhaust pipe will stay clean for a very long time just like when the car was new.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
My car just received a new DPF and EGR from the dealer under the emission warranty. So I cleaned the interior of the exhaust pipes that have been pretty much sooty for the last 5 years. Hopefully, the exhaust pipe will stay clean for a very long time just like when the car was new.
yup it will as long as DPF dont crack again. :) I deleted mine as FL don't do emission testing since 90's.