Sputtering continues.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
OK I replaced the MAF(needed), Replaced the return lines from the injectors(needed). Timed the IP. Then I changed the Fuel filter and bled it. Bled out the IP and then bled out the Injectors one at a time. Still the car sputters when I first start it when cold. Well it is 87 Degrees so not cold. Are there any other ideas on what makes this thing sputter on the first start? Last about 1 minute. Also I cleaned the Snow screen, not even dirty changed the Air filter(needed. I do have to say when I first opened all the injectors and turned it over I didn't see much spray at all. Then I started the car and opened them one at a time and got a lot of spray.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
OK I replaced the MAF(needed), Replaced the return lines from the injectors(needed). Timed the IP. Then I changed the Fuel filter and bled it. Bled out the IP and then bled out the Injectors one at a time. Still the car sputters when I first start it when cold. Well it is 87 Degrees so not cold. Are there any other ideas on what makes this thing sputter on the first start? Last about 1 minute. Also I cleaned the Snow screen, not even dirty changed the Air filter(needed. I do have to say when I first opened all the injectors and turned it over I didn't see much spray at all. Then I started the car and opened them one at a time and got a lot of spray.
Is this on the 2003 golf you have other threads about? I would check the injector IQ and timing. Also would check the cylinder deviation at idle. Does it do it again if you start it, then shut it off and restart it? Its also possible you could have fuel bleeding back from a leaking fuel line or injector pump.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Is this on the 2003 golf you have other threads about? I would check the injector IQ and timing. Also would check the cylinder deviation at idle. Does it do it again if you start it, then shut it off and restart it? Its also possible you could have fuel bleeding back from a leaking fuel line or injector pump.
No this is a 2000 Jetta. I checked and set the Timing on the IP. Don't know how to check IQ nor the Cylinder deviation. Will look on youtube for those procedures. And yes if I start it and it is doing that I can restart it and it still does that. It is the first time I start the car for the day or if I have left it for a long time and then start it again. The return lines have all been replaced.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
No this is a 2000 Jetta. I checked and set the Timing on the IP. Don't know how to check IQ nor the Cylinder deviation. Will look on youtube for those procedures. And yes if I start it and it is doing that I can restart it and it still does that. It is the first time I start the car for the day or if I have left it for a long time and then start it again. The return lines have all been replaced.
Ok, does it have an extended crank as well?

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Cylinder deviation checked out fine.
Ok, does it have an extended crank as well?
No it starts right up it takes about 2-3 seconds after it starts to sputter.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Cylinder deviation checked out fine.

No it starts right up it takes about 2-3 seconds after it starts to sputter.
What is the injector iq set at?

Mozambiquer

TDI
I believe it was 2.6 on the scale. Which means it is too low.?
That would be too high, which will cause a sputtering on idle. (Lower the number, higher the fueling) you'll need to do the hammer mod to raise that number up a bit. Do you know if it's still stock injectors?

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
That would be too high, which will cause a sputtering on idle. (Lower the number, higher the fueling) you'll need to do the hammer mod to raise that number up a bit. Do you know if it's still stock injectors?
Not stock injectors. Trying to Remember I believe they are 520's.I had a bunch of work done on it several years ago and had him put those Bosio 520's in. Not sure if it was the Power Plus or the regular ones.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

TDI
Not stock injectors. Trying to Remember I believe they are 520's.I had a bunch of work done on it several years ago and had him put those Bosio 520's in. Not sure if it was the Power Plus or the regular ones.
If I remember correctly, 520s should be right around 5-6 on the IQ in order to run the best.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
OK I got up the nerve and tried the hammer mod. Went from 2.6-2.8 down to 1.2, Went the other direction, 13.5 then back again and again and again. Got it sitting on 4.2 steady. Fuel came pouring out once. Hope that doesn't harm the seals any. ALl tightened down and hopefully in the morning it will start and run better. Talked to my mechanic and told him what I was doing. He asked me how many miles on my car. Told him 430k He thinks the pump may need replaced. I will not put that much more money into this car. It already needs another timing belt.

Mozambiquer

TDI
OK I got up the nerve and tried the hammer mod. Went from 2.6-2.8 down to 1.2, Went the other direction, 13.5 then back again and again and again. Got it sitting on 4.2 steady. Fuel came pouring out once. Hope that doesn't harm the seals any. ALl tightened down and hopefully in the morning it will start and run better. Talked to my mechanic and told him what I was doing. He asked me how many miles on my car. Told him 430k He thinks the pump may need replaced. I will not put that much more money into this car. It already needs another timing belt.
If anything, you may have to replace those top seals, but that isn't very hard to do, there are several threads on how to do them. Those pumps last quite a while.
Let us know how the sputtering is when you start it again.

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Thanks for all your help. Fingers crossed.
Up early this morning and went out and started the car. Sputtered only a fraction of what it did before. Cleared out within 10 seconds instead of a minute or so. Will bleed the air out of the IP and injectors again since I had fuel leaking that one time.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
If it starts, bleeding isn’t necessary. Keep leaning it out, raising the IQ number by lowering the value number in vcds.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Up early this morning and went out and started the car. Sputtered only a fraction of what it did before. Cleared out within 10 seconds instead of a minute or so. Will bleed the air out of the IP and injectors again since I had fuel leaking that one time.
That's good! Yup, lean it out a little more, maybe closer to 6-7 and see what that does

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Bring it up to almost 2k rpm in 2nd gear and put the wood to it through the gears. A light haze from your exhaust is what you’re looking for. If you’re blowing Blacksmoke it’s still too rich

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
Bring it up to almost 2k rpm in 2nd gear and put the wood to it through the gears. A light haze from your exhaust is what you’re looking for. If you’re blowing Blacksmoke it’s still too rich
Restarted it after it sat a long time. one tiny sputter.(tach moved about 100 rpms once only) Took it out and did what you said. No smoke of any kind coming out. I got it home and revved the engine in neutral and let up once it hit 5200 RPMs. No smoke there either. Looks good enough for now. Cold weather might make a difference. JUST so everyone knows this car has been driven almost exclusively on the highways. My Mechanic even could tell when he saw the intake last time I had the timing belt done.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
look up TDI diesel purge and see what you think of that. Running straight on Liquimoly

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
OK after all the things I have done it looks like it is still sputtering in the morning when it is colder out.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Kind of hard to decipher what you mean by sputter, does the rpm fluctuate?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
If it is starting with a bump of the key, it most likely not fuel related. Sounds like timing. Check your cold start timing actual and specified in advanced measuring blocks. You can also go to “output tests” to cycle your advance solenoid to see if it moving smoothly. Sounds like it starts and runs fine other than that?

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
If it is starting with a bump of the key, it most likely not fuel related. Sounds like timing. Check your cold start timing actual and specified in advanced measuring blocks. You can also go to “output tests” to cycle your advance solenoid to see if it moving smoothly. Sounds like it starts and runs fine other than that?
How do you get to advanced measuring blocks? I did just notice the MAF specified is 280 and the actual is 490-500.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
“Adv Meas Values” link is on the same “engine” page as meas blocks

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I don’t see where you mentioned checking basic timing, did you do that from the graph in measuring blocks 000?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In advanced measuring blocks you can watch several fields at once. Keep an eye on your injection quantity, and start of injection actual unspecified when that is going on.