Emergency kit essentials

Luckydog58

TDI
2005 VW Golf BEW
Hello everyone, I'm hopefully buying my first TDI this weekend. The scary thing for me is I have to drive over 500 miles to get it. The getting there is not the problem, we are driving a TDI there it's the driving an unknown vehicle back. Can you guys suggest a list of tools to take with us to possible help IF we break down? I know we can't fix everything on the side of the road with just a bag of tools, but I would feel better having them. We are driving out in a 2002 Golf that has been well loved for the last two years. We are picking up a 2005 Golf that claims the following in the ad I answered:

Timing belt, water pump, serpentine belts, coolant, thermostat, thermostat housing, and coolant temp sensor replaced/serviced @ 114k miles.
Vacuum pump replaced @ 147k Miles
Transmission replaced @ ~155k miles
Valve cover gasket, oil cooler seal, and cam position sensor replaced @ 155k miles
Shift cables replaced @ 164k miles
Rear brake pads and rotors service @ 165k miles

Needs work:
No A/C
Pass. door lock - no power
Pass. seat heater needs new relay.
Clutch wearing
Parking brake worn
Left front lower ball joint will need service soon
AM/FM antenna loose
Check engine light on - Code P-0101 Mass Airflow Sensor - Implausible. - Sensor was replaced, but code remained. Likely a wiring issue.

after a few emails I was told this about the the "clutch wearing" ..... "I will note about the wearing clutch, it kind of clunks into reverse, and a mechanic told me it's likely because of a wearing clutch. Now, I make sure to shift into 1st before shifting into R and there's no clunk. Shifting through the gears is a little sticky, but smooths out with a little finesse on the RPMs - it does not jump out of gear".

I'm not afraid to work on the car once I get it home, I'm just worried about the trip home. Any suggestions would help, I'm a bundle of nerves about the trip, but excited to possibly own my first TDI. I was told my mission is to keep it alive once I get it :)

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
The p0101 code could very well mean you'll be replacing a camshaft very soon. That's often the first code that comes up with a worn cam. Likely not a wiring issue.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Hi

Other than the basic tool set in a case, safety flares or triangles, fire extinguisher, hand cleaner, cell phone, and portable cb,
If I'm recovering an unknown vehicle I would typically bring a full complement of fluids ( at least large container of each fluid).

I also typically Carry hose Barbs of the various sizes the car needs along with extra hose clamps in case a hose decides the pop .... that way it's a relatively simple cut at the break join with hose Barb's and clamp with hose clamps, top off fluids and motor on.

Since you have a another car with you breaking down is not nearly as bad as breaking down if you were alone because the other car could always drive to civilization and safety if needed....

it would be really helpful to have the driver of the other vehicle be a tdi mechanic / guru friend!

Barring that , make sure you have a good Towing plan
... I have AAA RV plus and I'm good for up to 200 miles per tow ... nothing worse than breaking down .... except for paying for a big tow bill after breaking down!

I'd also bring some spare food and drinks just in case you do break down at least you can be well fed and hydrated while waiting for a tow truck.

Andrew

Luckydog58

TDI
2005 VW Golf BEW
Hi

Other than the basic tool set in a case, safety flares or triangles, fire extinguisher, hand cleaner, cell phone, and portable cb,
If I'm recovering an unknown vehicle I would typically bring a full complement of fluids ( at least large container of each fluid).

I also typically Carry hose Barbs of the various sizes the car needs along with extra hose clamps in case a hose decides the pop .... that way it's a relatively simple cut at the break join with hose Barb's and clamp with hose clamps, top off fluids and motor on.

Since you have a another car with you breaking down is not nearly as bad as breaking down if you were alone because the other car could always drive to civilization and safety if needed....

it would be really helpful to have the driver of the other vehicle be a tdi mechanic / guru friend!

Barring that , make sure you have a good Towing plan
... I have AAA RV plus and I'm good for up to 200 miles per tow ... nothing worse than breaking down .... except for paying for a big tow bill after breaking down!

I'd also bring some spare food and drinks just in case you do break down at least you can be well fed and hydrated while waiting for a tow truck.

Andrew
Thank you Andrew, I will go pack all that stuff now. Good thing we have extra of all the fluids and hose clamps. We were thinking it would be a good idea for the guru to drive the new car since it has a clutch thing going on with it. I have driven his car, but I'm finding out that driving a diesel is different then driving a gas clutch.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Good flashlight, rags, bible, walking shoes, and bottle opener

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Vcds also

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Imo, screwdrivers, 4 sockets, 10, 13, 8 and another 10, zipties, pliers, and $200 for a tow to the nearest town.

Luckydog58

TDI
2005 VW Golf BEW
Good flashlight, rags, bible, walking shoes, and bottle opener
Had it all but the bible, and luckily didn't "need" any of it :)
1,500 miles 25hrs of driving in the past day and a half, but we got the car home .....so sick of driving right now. It has it's problems, but it was a trooper and made it home and protested with black soot every time we got on the pedal. I'll start a new post and hope you guys can offer a little advice.

Last edited:

gooseman

TDI
2002 Jetta 5MT
I tend to carry the usual quick fix tools in the spare wheel location, but the two I always have on me is a set of tire plugs and this bad boy 😈

Managed to get one new from a discounted Costco outlet; Works to jump the battery, has a light and ports to charge things through and also has a build in air compressor with a psi gauge in the rear. This little box saved me as well as a few stranded folks through my adventures the last couple of years. By far, one of the best $70ish dollars I've ever spent.