What did you do to your MkVI-A6 today?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
No. I just had recent brake service and no note of any leaks were present. No comments of unusually low brake pads either. Took a few longer drives tonight, in the rain and no dash warning light was present.

I survived twelve (12) years in my 1997 Passat without one of these sensors, I might just go in with VCDS and code off the warning..
You can turn the wear indicator light off in vcds.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I think I’ll check that out.

With summer pretty much here now the bugs are back; so I gave the wagen a thorough bath and a quick spray on ceramic coating. We’ll see how it holds up.

Up next is an oil/fuel filter change.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
wow a lot has been done since my last post....

timing belt done @ 74k miles on Summer of 2020

Sept 2020 4 tires replaced and alignment done @ 79k

Oct 2020 DSG at 80k miles

ABS sensor on Oct 2020 and new OEM Battery triggered CEL for bad ABS sensor. (nightmare that was) plus new main fusible link.

Jan 2021 oil/fuel filter changed @ 87k miles

April 2021 oil change changed @ 97k miles

May 2021 99k miles fuel filter changed due to piss poor fuel station with bad diesel fuel (low traffic, lesson learned)

June 2021 front rotors and pads replaced due to bad brake fluid caused by brake reservoir cap left open for 2 years by so called VW techs. I found it open while doing 80k miles DSG service and made a song filled of vulgar language. rotors and pads didn't do well since 2 years as original rotors on her when I got her as buyback car were glazed and she didn't stop that good like my old 2011 JSW at 300k miles, so they "flushed" it (at no charge if I recall correctly) . since I did the DSG service, swore to myself that they will NOT touch any of our 3 VW TDI's ever again unless last resort.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
That reminds me I recently got an alignment my toe was a little bit out and my Caster is out. But Caster is not adjustable. It's at 7.1. does that mean the subframe has been out before? Or do I need to get adjustable top hats?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I replaced my tires. Which got rid of the shimmy I've had for 36k. Still need to get them balanced. Also replaced the 2 rear subframe bolts because I had the clunk. The one was stretched 1.5mm. the other was 3mm longer.

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Also replaced the 2 rear subframe bolts because I had the clunk. The one was stretched 1.5mm. the other was 3mm longer.
This is new to me. I'm assuming its a common think on this platform that I somehow never came across?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
This is new to me. I'm assuming its a common think on this platform that I somehow never came across?
Yeah if you get an odd clunk when you Corner hard break hard or accelerate hard and cannot figure out where it's coming from. Look at the back of your subframe for movement. Google search Volkswagen subframe clunk. It's because they use the stretch Bolt.https://photos.app.goo.gl/s5zsF7EdySNMku397

Last edited:

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah if you get an odd clunk when you Corner hard break hard or accelerate hard and cannot figure out where it's coming from. Look at the back of your subframe for movement. Google search Volkswagen subframe clunk. It's because they use the stretch Bolt.https://photos.app.goo.gl/s5zsF7EdySNMku397
Holy cow! Massive differences! Where do you get new ones from and where are they exactly located? So I can get them and replace asap. MK6 JSW issues are annoying as hell lol

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen 6MT
Just replaced all 4 rotors (well scored) with new Brembo rotors and Porterfield R4-S pads. Substantially improved "bite" from the pads, and new rotors were the correct 312mm diameter vs. the wrong sized 288 mm rotor the prior owner installed. Porterfield R4-S pads are my "go to" pads and I use them on all my vehicles. Very happy with the performance, no fade, and low dusting.

I installed the ECS Street Shield skid pan as well as the tunnel brace as well. That should help protect the bottom side, but more importantly, make it a little more difficult for someone to cut out and run off with the catalytic converter.

Lastly, replaced the stock rear sway bar with a GTI rear bar. I ordered Lemforder endlinks to replace the stock endlinks that were rusted and I cut off with an angle grinder.

Busy weekend, but the Sportwagen is running well!

rocky raccoon

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagen
Took my 2014 JSW TDI on an intended rapid trip to Pennsylvania, a little over 200 miles one way. The northbound trip on Saturday was into the teeth of a raging rainstorm. It took us EIGHT HOURS to make the 200 miles mainly due to visibility and admittingly getting a little lost. The return trip was far faster.

This was my first long trip with this car and I was very pleased. Stuck to the wet roads like an octopus and got about 43 to 45 mpg. No water leaks and speeds up to 80mph on the dry southbound return trip the next day.

She's a keeper.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Had new tires mounted last week, and I'm getting them balanced today. I has just got the tires and had a ply separation on the existing ones. Friend if a friend mounted them late at night for me. Oddly they weren't unbalanced till 80+mph

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
What problem did you have with your catalytic converter?

My car smokes on hard acceleration occasionally and I've been getting a CEL for EGT's when regenning lately. I figured it was just a problem with the DPF or EGR, but I'm curious about problems with the Cat.

I, too, would just delete everything, but I already have the Kerma tune, and my impression was that they are not ones to support the deletion of emissions related devices.
I thought kerma did delete tunes? You just have to install everything yourself. And with everything going on lately with the epa... Also my dad is having o2 sensor issues. It throws a bad O2 code during the Regen. But clear the code and it's fine till the next Regen. It's an issue since dieselgate.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
I went with Malone Tuning since they will do the delete tune. I understand also that Kerma will not do a delete tune. I'm in Caliornia, so all emissions devices need to remain (though how they'll check now that I have the ECS Tuning Tunnel Brace in place is another question). But once I move to a state that does not do emissions checking, I will delete as well.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
I spent last night working on installing the wiring for the fog lights since I added the automatic headlight feature.

I will say that it is not hard, but is time consuming. The battery and battery tray need to come out if you want to reach the main wiring harness to pass a wire through. And having the right female connector for the harness is a must. I am picky when it comes to trying to make things look factory, so I took a lot of extra time to do it as invisibly as I could, and ensured all wires were in split-tube wire loom and wrapped with fiber tape (like the factory wiring.) Glad it's done... and like anything, probably could do it faster the next time around, but I hope there isn't a "next time." :p

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
I went with Malone Tuning since they will do the delete tune. I understand also that Kerma will not do a delete tune. I'm in Caliornia, so all emissions devices need to remain (though how they'll check now that I have the ECS Tuning Tunnel Brace in place is another question). But once I move to a state that does not do emissions checking, I will delete as well.

So have you talked to any california residents that have run the cover/full delete thru bi annual smog and their outcome? Id love to know.

Never knew that cover was out there. Its may be on my shopping list simply to keep my CAT on. My son and his G.F. already have been hit.

I am picky when it comes to trying to make things look factory, so I took a lot of extra time to do it as invisibly as I could, and ensured all wires were in split-tube wire loom and wrapped with fiber tape (like the factory wiring.) :p
Need any side work??? :p

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
So have you talked to any california residents that have run the cover/full delete thru bi annual smog and their outcome? Id love to know.

Never knew that cover was out there. Its may be on my shopping list simply to keep my CAT on. My son and his G.F. already have been hit.
I don't know anyone that's tried the delete and tunnel cover, but it has crossed my mind. Maybe find a used/cracked DPF and run a downpipe through it? But since I've got a little extended emissions warranty left, I'll leave it for now.

The Tunnel Brace does work quite nicely to stiffen the chassis (not that it really needs it as it's pretty stiff now.) I had a Unibrace UB before on my Jetta TDI sedan and it made big difference. I think the JSW has a stiffer chassis (I don't have the pano roof), but having it and the GTI rear sway bar makes a very noticeable difference in handling.

That was my thought also about protecting the catalytic converter since mine "disappeared" as the car was being transported to me. ("It wasn't on the car when we picked it up..." Sigh.) My son's friend had his catalytic converter cut off his Jeep Cherokee and we made a skid plate out of aluminum plate for him. This is much thicker than what I can make and not too expensive (certainly cheaper than Unibrace, though Unibrace's products are thicker and very nicely made.)

LOL! :LOL: Happy to help if needed!:)

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi

Hit by who? And they live where?

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Yup my sons Toyota 4x4 had the complete cat assembly brutally meth head attacked in a middle of the day @ home depot parking lot. After the additional wire harness damage it cost insurance $12k! His G.F.'s Prius was totaled because of cost.

Ca. has gone straight to .... Moved to a small "Mayberry RFD" town here in central valley years ago, not the same. This midwest guy can't follow the mass exodus out of here quick enough.

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
California has become a much more challenging state financially to remain in. Taxes are through the roof here.

As for the catalytic converter thefts...

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
though how they'll check now that I have the ECS Tuning Tunnel Brace in place is another question

thanks for posting about the ECS Tuning Tunnel Brace. I have given it some thought to that kit for a long while and now you posted it. that helped me to go ahead on buying it. :) I drove a ton of miles.... hence needing that.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
thanks for posting about the ECS Tuning Tunnel Brace. I have given it some thought to that kit for a long while and now you posted it. that helped me to go ahead on buying it. :) I drove a ton of miles.... hence needing that.
Has anyone noticed any post plate install temp. different than pre aluminum plate?

rtking

Veteran Member
TDI
Has anyone noticed any post plate install temp. different than pre aluminum plate?
Good question. I never worries about temps with the Unibrace since it's an open design I did notice after a DPF burn that there was warm air coming from under the car just in front of the rear tires. Other than that, I've not noticed any increase engine temps at all. I'll keep an eye on it (since it's fairly hot in Southern California) and will report back.

On the handling side, I can say that I'm quite happy with the combination of tunnel brace and GTI rear bar. Car is much more neutral in tight turns. I hadn't noticed the JSW body to flex much (my former Jetta Sedan would flex and doors would squeak) but throwing it around a few mountain curves, the JSW is solid, and corners pretty flat.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
I've not noticed any increase engine temps at all. I'll keep an eye on it (since it's fairly hot in Southern California) and will report back.

On the handling side, I can say that I'm quite happy with the combination of tunnel brace and GTI rear bar. Car is much more neutral in tight turns.
Thats good to know. It was only a mere 106* today here, and I notice a non regen DPF temp. increase of about 100* on the 100*ish days on the freeway. Probably good for the DPF regen intervals tho.