What did you do to your MKIV today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Great video, clear, thorough, and detailed. Lol, I'll live with my turn signals just the way they are thanks.
I'm not a big YouTube watcher (and they can bleep right off with AutoPlay), but HumbleMechanic is pretty good. Well-shot / lit, good audio, extraneous stuff is edited out, detailed explanations, etc.; the guy obviously puts a lot of work into producing quality videos.

Last edited:

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Nuje,

Totally agree with your evaluation of the "Humble Mechanic". Being an electric eejit however, and having no desire to invest in the tools that make the job relatively straightforward, radio removal tool??????, 2 of them????, clip remover?,
aaack, no thanks, I'll just hold my finger down a little longer.
Mind you, following HM's video, I'll bet I could do it, but by the time I've got a hnnert bucks or so invested in parts plus tools, like MucGyver, I'll pass.

What did just arrive though, courtesy of RexNico, is a tan center cupholder/console. Lol, that I will take the time to install. My in dash slide out holder still functions, but it would be nice having somewhere more secure for a travel mug. Everybody has different priorities. :)

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Nuje,

Totally agree with your evaluation of the "Humble Mechanic". Being an electric eejit however, and having no desire to invest in the tools that make the job relatively straightforward, radio removal tool??????, 2 of them????, clip remover?,
aaack, no thanks, I'll just hold my finger down a little longer.
Mind you, following HM's video, I'll bet I could do it, but by the time I've got a hnnert bucks or so invested in parts plus tools, like MucGyver, I'll pass.

What did just arrive though, courtesy of RexNico, is a tan center cupholder/console. Lol, that I will take the time to install. My in dash slide out holder still functions, but it would be nice having somewhere more secure for a travel mug. Everybody has different priorities. :)
Hey Rrusse11, let us know how that center cup holder works out. I find mine almost useless for any size mug I would ever bother putting coffee into. So unless I've got a cup that's 2" in diameter (or less) it ain't going in and its just annoying as heck. Maybe Vag thought we would stack silver dollars in them to save for replacing broken vent louvers or falling head liners.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I'm not a big YouTube watcher (and they can bleep right off with AutoPlay), but HumbleMechanic is pretty good. Well-shot / lit, good audio, extraneous stuff is edited out, detailed explanations, etc.; the guy obviously puts a lot of work into producing quality videos.
Exovcds has a lot of good vw videos. Including some TDI content. Watch him change a timing belt—magic.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Exovcds has a lot of good vw videos. Including some TDI content. Watch him change a timing belt—magic.
Thanks I just watched some of this one. Nothing like watching someone that's done a bunch of TB changes. Can tell he's not doing a single thing that will waste his time.. efficient and fast.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
I watched his video where he does a clutch on a beetle. Made me feel like it won't be a problem for me. . . . . .hopefully that'll be true.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
Mukgyver,
I've already got the sliding in dash cupholder, what I'll be installing is the "new" console between the seats. As you say,
the in dash version is decidedly dicey for anything over 6-8oz. Could be good for holding the phone but.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
This past weekend...took most everything related to the front suspension apart, replaced most of it, put it back together. Lots more to do yet, but a notable improvement in many areas! I didn't get pictures of everything, but was able to get a few of the carnage that comes from all the @#$%&@&%$# salt they put on the roads because... [I'll stop here, you can fill in the rest...]

Control Arm bushings...

Subframe bushings

Steering rack and pressure line from the pump...

Strut Bearings...

Front Brakes...

Dogbone Mount...

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
This past weekend...took most everything related to the front suspension apart, replaced most of it, put it back together. Lots more to do yet, but a notable improvement in many areas! I didn't get pictures of everything, but was able to get a few of the carnage that comes from all the @#$%&@&%$# salt they put on the roads because... [I'll stop here, you can fill in the rest...]
Holy f**k that's a lot of rust!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I like the power steering line. A failure waiting to happen.

Couple months ago I refreshed the suspension on IBW and my mechanic said that the steering knuckles were rusted enough that the strut spreader tool wouldn't work. But he got it done. Next time, new knuckles.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
That rust carnage is why I have been a big fan of Solar Roadways. Besides all the other power production benefits blah, blah , blah, they can heat the road way sections to just above freezing. NO MORE SALT.

/gets off soap box

Jason

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
That rust carnage is why I have been a big fan of Solar Roadways. Besides all the other power production benefits blah, blah , blah, they can heat the road way sections to just above freezing. NO MORE SALT.

/gets off soap box

Jason
Sounds cool, are they in operation now? and do you happen to know how the initial cost of them and maintenance gets covered?

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
I like the Komfort Blinker, mentioned above. I did not have to remove my radio to install it. I just removed the upper cup holder blank, the hazard switch and adjacent blanks and removed the upper vents/surrounds. This gave me enough access to install the Komfort Blinker. I didn't purchase any special tools. I made my own VAG wire plucking tool by modifying Leatherman Tweezers. Overall, the Komfort Blinker installation is easy and it's a nice little upgrade...feels so luxurious to have three turn signal clicks with one touch. You can also hold for one click, then release and the turn signal will click three times after the first click, so it becomes 4 consecutive clicks.

Custom Leatherman VAG wire plucking tool:

hey_allen

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
Sounds cool, are they in operation now? and do you happen to know how the initial cost of them and maintenance gets covered?
They just don't work well or for long...
Don't generate enough power to break even, and if you use the heating feature, they're a massive drain on the power grid.

The concept is interesting, but as anything beyond a way to line the pockets of the company, doesn't seem to be doing much good.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
They need a way to heat the road when it's driven over. like a layer under the pavement that generates heat by friction or pressure, chemical reaction. You know like those heat packs that warm up when they're aggitated. Then how do you turn them off in the Summer? :)

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Looking good IBW. I like wagons, and golfs. I was originally looking for a Golf, but the Jetta popped up and was a deal-1/2 and there were no Golfs coming up at the time. I'm still very happy with the Jetta. But I can definitely see why people end up with 4 or 5 Tdi's decorating their properties. They aren't terribly pricey and they are a lot of fun.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Holy f**k that's a lot of rust!
Fix_Until_Broke,
Carnage indeed! I'm amazed it was still driving.
Wow!!! That tdi gets the Rust🎖of honor.
I like the power steering line. A failure waiting to happen.

Couple months ago I refreshed the suspension on IBW and my mechanic said that the steering knuckles were rusted enough that the strut spreader tool wouldn't work. But he got it done. Next time, new knuckles.

/gets off soap box

Jason
"Fix_Until_Broke, I salute you!
Thanks everyone - just the tip of the rustberg as it were :). More pictures next weekend as I tackle more things. To be fair, the rack/lines/subframe bushings have ~350k miles on them. Everything else has ~180k miles.

The power steering line was rusty, but dry about a month ago. It was wet last weekend when I went to change everything - I got as much out of it as possible without a total failure!

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I haven't done this yet so I know it's premature, but I'm excited to get this H&R anti-sway bar put on. Hoping it makes a difference. Currently it does rocks side to side pretty good on my s-turns drive to work daily.

Zak99b5

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI
I haven't done this yet so I know it's premature, but I'm excited to get this H&R anti-sway bar put on. Hoping it makes a difference. Currently it does rocks side to side pretty good on my s-turns drive to work daily.

An rsb makes the car a lot of fun--had one on my MkIV GTi.

There have been many reports of the H&R clamps breaking. People tend to use the Neuspeed clamps on the H&R bar as a "fix."

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I've had a Shine bar in my Wagon since 2004. When I drive my Golf I'm always struck by how much heavier the steering feels in that car and how well the Wagon with the bar changes direction. Can be a little dicey in the snow, however. I've spun it a couple times. But the internal rear bar adds much more roll stiffness than the external bar.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
An rsb makes the car a lot of fun--had one on my MkIV GTi.

There have been many reports of the H&R clamps breaking. People tend to use the Neuspeed clamps on the H&R bar as a "fix."
I've had a Shine bar in my Wagon since 2004. When I drive my Golf I'm always struck by how much heavier the steering feels in that car and how well the Wagon with the bar changes direction. Can be a little dicey in the snow, however. I've spun it a couple times. But the internal rear bar adds much more roll stiffness than the external bar.
Thanks for the feedback ! good to know about the clamps. I'll look at reinforcing them with some doublers etc or just get the neuspeed ones. I took a video under the car while rolling it side to side and can tell it needs some help. Wonder if over time the internal one loses some of its spring. I was wanting to use the rail clamps chaoscreature was selling but they don't work on the mk4. Then thought I would make something similar but figured I'd try the H&R first. Really hoping it will help some with the roll.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
They just don't work well or for long...
Don't generate enough power to break even, and if you use the heating feature, they're a massive drain on the power grid.

The concept is interesting, but as anything beyond a way to line the pockets of the company, doesn't seem to be doing much good.

I saw the failure of the solar projects in Europe. A couple basically stuck regular solar panel under a thicker glass panel and imbedded in the asphalt. The other projects that were successful operated much like the later versions from the US company. They installed theirs on a concrete base. As far as failures they are currently being awarded a DoD contract because, when installed correctly, actually work as promised.

The LED work great for at night, but I agree that is going to be an issue in broad daylight. As far as glass fouling - heavy truck traffic actually has a polishing effect and makes the glass more transparent for the solar panels. They include pressure cells to measure weight/presence on the panels - I could see that changed to be part of the kinetic energy harvest.

They haven't perfected them for roadway use yet, so wisely haven't installed them for that...yet. But they do appear to be very close.

Jason

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Yesterday, 16 June the check engine light came on but I had no way to check it since I don't have Internet at my new house yet. So today I decided to take it to a VW Authorized repair shop to have them read the codes; I barely made it. I see oil on the hose going into the intake so I'm suspecting a turbo problem. While I wait for the shop to diagnose it, I wanted to ask what the recommended replacement turbo for a BEW engine. I'm considering the Garrett VNT-17.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yes, that's the one came with that car.
***I stand corrected (see next), thanks IBW

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Since there aren't any replacement KP39s available until September as far as I know, (The B-W, not the VNT-17, was OE), I'd go with the VNT-17. It's plug and play, but you'll have to replace the lower EGR cooler pipe to fit the different turbo/manifold. If your car is tuned I'd also suggest a re-tune. More N75 duty cycle helps the 17 respond better at low revs, as it's a larger turbo than stock so a bit slower to spool with stock tuning.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Hey Rrusse11, let us know how that center cup holder works out. I find mine almost useless for any size mug I would ever bother putting coffee into. So unless I've got a cup that's 2" in diameter (or less) it ain't going in and its just annoying as heck. Maybe Vag thought we would stack silver dollars in them to save for replacing broken vent louvers or falling head liners.
I have that in my car and my Contigo travel coffee mug and ThermoFlask (16oz) water bottle both fit in there perfectly. The rubber/silicone around the bottom of both of those prevent any rattle or vibration. One of the first mods i ever do on a Mk4 i own. (Mine's tan as well - thanks to @mr.loops for sourcing that for me; can't see the cup-holder in the photo below, but you get the gist)