What did you do to your MKIV today?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Got in, rolled the windows down to cool it off inside, rolled the windows back up. When the drivers side window got all the way up, I heard a clank, rattle, clunk as something fell down inside the door.

Got home, took the interior panel off and noticed the rear window clip was broken.

This window has been making a bit of a clunk when it hits the bottom for the last few years and also makes a squeek-squeek-squeek-squeek sound as it rolls up/down.

Is this a replace the whole regulator thing or are just the clips available? I did some searching but everything seems to be about the old plastic clips and getting them fixed under warranty, nothing about the metal ones.

I rolled the window back up and put it all back together - I left the window switch unplugged so I don't forget :)
I'd imagine it's probably part of the entire assembly, but you should be able to get that at a junkyard very cheap.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
I've read the regulator unit is scarce. But I will guess you need more than just that clip. Salvage may be only option.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Window regulators for MKIVs aren't scarce. They're offered by multiple companies, including VW.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Well filled up my Jetta today and found out my mpg dropped 10 miles. Don't know if it is due to the change in elevation between my new home here in Prescott, AZ (5300’) and my old home in Oroville, CA (190’) or due to the non-CARB Diesel here.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Not sure if you were referring to the lugnuts. I do the same b4 putting lug nuts back on with antiseize. A lot of resistance comes from the spherical surface contacting the rim. Also, with aluminum rims tightening them in the cold can be a booger later removing them in the Summer due to ALUM expansion/ contraction. The opposite can be true tightening them in the Summer. I've found some only marginally tight when the cold hits.
Hi

Actually I managed to get all the lug nuts off (yes they were tight (some more than others) ....I wasn't sure why because I didn't put them on that tight (done by hand) BUT your temp theory sounds reasonable ... last rotation was when it was cooler / cold ..... I had to use a breaker pipe on my 4 way lug wrench to break some free .... I carry the pipe in my car now (as of when I had difficulty breaking things free this last go around) because I don't want to catch a flat and not be able to break nuts loose).

None of them were corroded tho .... I was a little paranoid about antiseizing them because I was worried it would cause them to loosen because the antiseize would act as a lube?...they were clean thread wise and no obvious corrosion.... I may try antiseize next time on them as well .

My main issue before was physically getting the wheel off the hub after all the lug nuts (not sure thats what the really are ... more like bolts) were removed.... the back of the wheel was stuck to the hub ... I literally had to beat on the tire before to break them free .... felt abusive but it had to be done but putting antisize on the wheel hub contact points and nack of the wheel made removal easy.

Andrew

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Hi

Actually I managed to get all the lug nuts off (yes they were tight (some more than others) ....I wasn't sure why because I didn't put them on that tight (done by hand) BUT your temp theory sounds reasonable ... last rotation was when it was cooler / cold ..... I had to use a breaker pipe on my 4 way lug wrench to break some free .... I carry the pipe in my car now (as of when I had difficulty breaking things free this last go around) because I don't want to catch a flat and not be able to break nuts loose).

None of them were corroded tho .... I was a little paranoid about antiseizing them because I was worried it would cause them to loosen because the antiseize would act as a lube?...they were clean thread wise and no obvious corrosion.... I may try antiseize next time on them as well .

My main issue before was physically getting the wheel off the hub after all the lug nuts (not sure thats what the really are ... more like bolts) were removed.... the back of the wheel was stuck to the hub ... I literally had to beat on the tire before to break them free .... felt abusive but it had to be done but putting antisize on the wheel hub contact points and nack of the wheel made removal easy.

Andrew
Common problem - Clean the rotor face and the back side of the wheel and hit them with a light coat of spray paint and that problem will go away without the mess of anti-seize. Krylon 1407 High Heat Aluminum works very well for this. Thin, dries fast, cheap, etc

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
Sounds like you just fixed it to me. I had to fix my drivers door before and it turned out the metal clip it just loosened up. I’m pretty sure you can just get a clip from the junkyard
I'd imagine it's probably part of the entire assembly, but you should be able to get that at a junkyard very cheap.
I've read the regulator unit is scarce. But I will guess you need more than just that clip. Salvage may be only option.
Window regulators for MKIVs aren't scarce. They're offered by multiple companies, including VW.
Thanks for the replies everyone - I appreciate it.

I've a couple spare jetta's I can check to see if they have the updated clips - They're a 2000 and 2002 I believe so would have come with plastic clips from the factory. One has manual windows so not sure if that will work or not.

Someone suggested these clips on Amazon - Might be worth a try.

Add it to the list of things to do :)

TurboFunRide

TDI
Mk4 Golf
Only two questions - where does the license plate mount when you're towing? And why weld, when there are factory mounting holes for the Bosal/Westphalia tow bars? I've towed 3000+ on a regular basis and never had problems with the factory mount holes in over 100K miles of towing, though I'd imagine welding would be a lot stronger (with good welds).

With a trailer, the tag wouldn't be visible, so I don't plan to run one. The trailer has a tag if it came down to arguments sake. I have considered modifying the hatch to accept the plate where the VW badge is, though. Ultimately it will likely have a mount made that slides into the receiver when a hitch isn't there.

I did use the factory mounting holes where the OEM bumper shocks were removed from. I still had to weld the receiver to the plates that I inserted into the unibody.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Thanks for the replies everyone - I appreciate it.

I've a couple spare jetta's I can check to see if they have the updated clips - They're a 2000 and 2002 I believe so would have come with plastic clips from the factory. One has manual windows so not sure if that will work or not.

Someone suggested these clips on Amazon - Might be worth a try.

Add it to the list of things to do :)
Both of ours have them, 2000 and 2001

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I put painters tape around the door frame and duct tape around that to hold the window up all winter

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Fix_until _broke I was the one who suggest the Amazon one in the PM I sent . I have used those several times on the 5 Family TDI’s with no issues.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I'm curious which 3D printed plugs you used. My friend @alphaseinor sells these on ebay. And I didn't know the Sanden in a Mk4 had an RCV. Mine crapped the bed after draining and refilling it, and we (@alphaseinor again) found that there was WAY too much PAG in the system. Put in a compressor for the junkyard, and useed R134a, and it works fantastic. I do need to replace the RCV in my Sportwagen, however...

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
My method, which I'm sure I learned somewhere on this site, is to loosen the lug nuts a bit (half turn?, full turn?) and then drive the car around the block a few times, making sure to hit some bumps. That loosens up the stuck wheel every time.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
My method, which I'm sure I learned somewhere on this site, is to loosen the lug nuts a bit (half turn?, full turn?) and then drive the car around the block a few times, making sure to hit some bumps. That loosens up the stuck wheel every time.
That must be an east coast thing.. salt and water behind the rim?. I've only had them get stuck on the centering boss.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
That must be an east coast thing.. salt and water behind the rim?. I've only had them get stuck on the centering boss.
Anywhere they salt the roads...have had to heat steel truck rims up with a rosebud torch and get them red while sledgehammering the tire. If people would just learn how to drive instead of insisting on perfectly clear roads 100% of the time...

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
With a trailer, the tag wouldn't be visible, so I don't plan to run one. The trailer has a tag if it came down to arguments sake. I have considered modifying the hatch to accept the plate where the VW badge is, though. Ultimately it will likely have a mount made that slides into the receiver when a hitch isn't there.

I did use the factory mounting holes where the OEM bumper shocks were removed from. I still had to weld the receiver to the plates that I inserted into the unibody.
I have a IHC Scout II that had an option of bi-fold lic plate bracket. The point of that is the lic plate is on the tailgate and if you drive with tail gate down the plate is hidden. Simple fix is a hinged bracket to flip the plate down.

I have seen people modify these brackets for hiding hitches and add a second hinge. Fold bottom of plate up, then fold up top of plate to make plate sit above the hitch. You could go the other way but that's really close to the ground on a Golf

Jason

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

Yup, the DSP plugs are made by my friend Brian, known here as @alphaseinor .
And I did not know our Mk4 Sandens had that valve, so that's good to know!

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI

If you need more strength, don't forget about the four factory holes where the euro hitch would go. They're a bit further in, so in addition to your welds, I feel like they'd be stronger, since they go in about 18" or so into the unibody.

GlowBugTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Beetle GLS TDI (BIODSL). 01 original Glow Bug TDI (sold)
Put in a new coolant temp sensor in my beetle only to find i didn't have any more coolant around😒. Borrowed my brothers slick 97 Camry to go get some and on the way back the car ate a brake pad. Spit it right out the rear! So i drove home with out brakes...made for an interesting day among other things lol.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Lesson learned - change your alternator pulley with every timing belt change. I skipped it last TB change and only got another 25,000km before failure.
Any idea what brand pulley you used that failed so quickly?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gotta respect a man who welds while wearing shorts; also rocking a pair of flip-flops would've taken it to a whole 'nother level, though. 😂
(Note: NOT RECOMMENDED!!!)

But seriously - nice job on the hitch! Way better solution than my Curt hitch that bolts up to the spare tire well on one side.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Installed aero wipers on the Mk4 Golf; instead of OEM at $70/side, found aftermarket versions (Vaico brand) in Estonia for €20/side; another $25 or so for three-day shipping. They seemed to work better on my previous cars and I like the look; wiper blade changes (not that they were overly difficult before) now become a 10sec. process as added bonus. :)

Tomorrow: convenience signal mod. WIth our other cars both having this feature and my simple brain not adjusting, I'll no longer single-signal every time i change lanes in the Mk4.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Any idea what brand pulley you used that failed so quickly?
I don't recall the brand, but I would consider 185,000km a reasonable lifespan, not a quick failure.

In my opinion the alternator pulley should be changed at the same time as the timing belt - this was the first time I did not do so and I consider myself lucky it got noisy before failing catastrophically.

Simon

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Tomorrow: convenience signal mod. WIth our other cars both having this feature and my simple brain not adjusting, I'll no longer single-signal every time i change lanes in the Mk4.
link to mod? My eGolf and Mazda 3 have it and I've caught myself a few times thinking my Beetle has that function.

03TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
01' NB, 5spd
Not so much what I did to my MK4, but what I bought/picked up for it. Harbor Freight has a 20% off coupon for Father's day this weekend. Bought their engine support bar for a future clutch job.

Also stopped by the VW dealer to pick up my order of injector copper washer seals, turbo bayonet seals, harmonic balancer bolts and injector hold down bolts. My local dealer discounts anywhere from 25-50% off MSRP.

4th of July weekend I'll be replacing the headgasket, swapping the intake manifold for a clean one, scraping intake runners, and taking the turbo center section out to clean up the control ring and vanes. I'm overboosting - I'm thinking that's the reason my clutch will now and again slip, and now the headgasket is mildly leaking.

Question for others - I'm not going into limp mode. With the Malone stage 1, is limp mode disabled?

TurboFunRide

TDI
Mk4 Golf
Gotta respect a man who welds while wearing shorts; also rocking a pair of flip-flops would've taken it to a whole 'nother level, though. 😂
(Note: NOT RECOMMENDED!!!)

But seriously - nice job on the hitch! Way better solution than my Curt hitch that bolts up to the spare tire well on one side.
Too hot for long pants all the time. I felt a little weld burn in the shower. I've had much worse, though. Notice the arms were covered up..

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
link to mod? My eGolf and Mazda 3 have it and I've caught myself a few times thinking my Beetle has that function.
It requires an additional relay. Idparts sells the kit.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Oil change at 430K on IBW. 140K on this engine. I always drain the pan because I like to get under the car and see if anything odd is going on. Nope, and it was bone dry under there.

Went up to IDParts because a local shop owner wanted to pick up some drums of oil we'd ordered for him. Followed an Audi SQ8 on the way home and ran up to 95 MPH for a bit. Still feels rock solid at those speeds.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Brothers car which is Compu_85's old car.
New TYC blower motor and resistor pack today. Thank you again IDPARTS!