Mobil 1 synthetic not for VW transmissions

hawaiideveloper

TDI
Jetta
Redline MTL is also great. seriosuly I doubt it matters. Do you want the transmission to last 680,000 miles or 700,000 miles?

Any GL-5 will work as long as it carries the MT-1. That includes most of the amsoil gear lubes.
Have you witnessed the GL-5 to be functional? Would it be okay to use in a climate like Nicaragua where the summers are close to 85F to be true?

P.s.
I am from hoodbridge originally too!... btw.

I have a similar but yet more difficult scenario regarding the need to purchase outside of the vendors mentioned above. I moved to Nicaragua almost 3 years ago now. We don't have the brands mentioned above, so I feel I am at the mercy of the:

80W90 as this seems to be the only type they sell in this hot climate.

Also there seems to be a type called Halvoline (Chevron) 80w90 G-5 but what is freaking me out is that I have a small leak, so changing is inevitable because I do not want to mix different types.

My wife is pregnant and unlike the states, the ability to walk-in to a storefront like pepboys and order is not available. My jetta was originally made in Mexico and it is the 2.0 gas version with Manual Transmission starting with the model numbers of "EGT", according to the manufacturer's literature from Bentley publishing, I am lined up with a suggested use of VW50.

I do not have any spider noises at present, and I do not want any in the future. I also understand that manufacture spec is best. But my options all start here in this country as 80W90 and accessibility to such recommendation by the manufacture is near impossible unless Airlines allow motor oil transport, which I am certain they don't allow it, especially internationally.

Not looking to troll or hear from trollers; as this is a real life situation..., I have read many threads so calling for a synchromesh like fluid and GL-4. But as far as getting 75W90 GL-4 for a VW Jetta 2005/4 mk4 will probably be not only near impossible, but unlikely.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I don't suppose you can find either ACDelco Synchromesh or Pennzoil Synchromesh out there. either of these can be used confidently.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Any type of oil is preferable to running the box extremely low. I've even used bar and chain oil in ag equipment gearboxes when that was all I had on hand.

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
Holy thread resurrection Batman!
Find a VW dealer and see if they have G060726A2 or G070726A2. G060 will be preferred, but G070 will work...
-BB

hawaiideveloper

TDI
Jetta
I don't suppose you can find either ACDelco Synchromesh or Pennzoil Synchromesh out there. either of these can be used confidently.

Good News!

I read that you can transport the oil on an Airplane. I will try to get it checked and then bring it on over. If I run into issues, I report here. Hopefully this helps the community, but if I am forced to buy locally I will also report as well.

Thread of proof for transporting OEM gear oil V50 for EGT manual transmission to Nicaragua

Not sure how it will go down in Nicaragua, but I will update once it happens!

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
, I have read many threads so calling for a synchromesh like fluid and GL-4. But as far as getting 75W90 GL-4 for a VW Jetta 2005/4 mk4 will probably be not only near impossible, but unlikely.
these transmissions have all straight helical gears, so even just engine oil is totally fine to use
you will have a little lower service life as it doesn't have quite the right additive package but it is much better to use engine oil than GL5 which may ruin your synchros