Need a backup Key, but the price is $700!

Aaron B

TDI
2014 Q5
Hello TDI Forum. I bought a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, and it only came with one key. I need a backup key, but dealer wants around $700. Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative?

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
You can buy a blank key for $100 off fleabay and have a locksmith program for another $100. There is a code on the side of your fob. Search for that. But make sure it has a virgin chip.

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Check with another Audi deaership. My wife's car came with only 1 key. I went to the local Audi dealership and ordered a key from the VIN number for $350.00. It was another $140 to get it programed to the car because of the push button start. You may even be able to order the key online from one of the Audi discount dealerships and have it programed by a local German mechanic.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Hello TDI Forum. I bought a 2014 Audi Q5 TDI, and it only came with one key. I need a backup key, but dealer wants around $700. Any suggestions for a cheaper alternative?
They asking to much , Fair price would be around at max $550 . the key it self is around $300-$375 depend is it keyless or not . Programing should not be more then $150-$175.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
They asking to much , Fair price would be around at max $550 . the key it self is around $300-$375 depend is it keyless or not . Programing should not be more then $150-$175.
This is what I've found in my research across multiple forums over the last few months. I'm trying to get 1 ordered/received before I take it in for a leaking AdBlue tank in hopes they'll be generous and program it for a little less than the full rate ... gotta be hopeful.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
What's the code on the side of your key?
I did not say that , that was other member,
The code was for older cars and it was given on key tag till 2002 for mecanical key. Audi Q7 has High Tag key and even if you have that it will not help you much . This car is Keyless system and it is way different than old cars.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
My car is keyless. Still has the blade for the door if the battery is dead. On the fob there should be a code. That is just the fob type.

miningman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
ah , the joys of capitalism !! Charge as much as the market will bear, if you dont like my price , go park your white elephant somewhere other than outside my front door.

Aaron B

TDI
2014 Q5
You can buy a blank key for $100 off fleabay and have a locksmith program for another $100. There is a code on the side of your fob. Search for that. But make sure it has a virgin chip.
I think the code on the fob is IYZFBSB802. This number aligns what the key resellers on Ebay and Amazon say is for 2014 Q5. A couple months ago I bought such a fob on Amazon, (i think $40 I paid) then took it to local Audi dealer for programming. They said $140 to program, and no guarantee we can program it, and I am liable for the $140 regardless. .. so their reprogram efforts failed. i returned the fob to Amazon. Turns out there are very few people that have the equipment and Authorization codes to reprogram an Audi key.... they really have their key business "locked up" from competitors. But I will keep pushing for a workaround....

Aaron B

TDI
2014 Q5
ah , the joys of capitalism !! Charge as much as the market will bear, if you dont like my price , go park your white elephant somewhere other than outside my front door.
Yes! Well stated. I am curious how this $700 key price fits in with their "Truth in Engineering" slogan.

Aaron B

TDI
2014 Q5
This is what I've found in my research across multiple forums over the last few months. I'm trying to get 1 ordered/received before I take it in for a leaking AdBlue tank in hopes they'll be generous and program it for a little less than the full rate ... gotta be hopeful.
Let me know how it goes at the dealer.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
Well there's two series of keys with that chip in it the comfort access one and the non-comfort access. There will be another series of numbers on your key that will tell you. Just look at two different numbers in those listings.

CaseyR

I think the code on the fob is IYZFBSB802. This number aligns what the key resellers on Ebay and Amazon say is for 2014 Q5. A couple months ago I bought such a fob on Amazon, (i think $40 I paid) then took it to local Audi dealer for programming. They said $140 to program, and no guarantee we can program it, and I am liable for the $140 regardless. .. so their reprogram efforts failed. i returned the fob to Amazon. Turns out there are very few people that have the equipment and Authorization codes to reprogram an Audi key.... they really have their key business "locked up" from competitors. But I will keep pushing for a workaround....
I went to AA Express Locksmith hoping to get them to rejuvenate the key fob for my 2010 Sportwagen that got rain soaked. Their price was $125 for a new electronic module and reprogramming the fob. Fortunately, their policy was to charge only if they were successful and despite working for about 20 minutes, they could not get the new module reprogrammed for my Sportwagen. I ordered a key fob from Amazon that specified the part number of the existing dead keyfob and tried programming it as per YouTube video instructions. Unfortunately, the programming was unsuccessful - which did not surprise me as the price for the new fob was only $22 and change. Any thoughts anyone? I have not yet gotten desperate enough to try the local VW dealer.....

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I went to AA Express Locksmith hoping to get them to rejuvenate the key fob for my 2010 Sportwagen that got rain soaked. Their price was $125 for a new electronic module and reprogramming the fob. Fortunately, their policy was to charge only if they were successful and despite working for about 20 minutes, they could not get the new module reprogrammed for my Sportwagen. I ordered a key fob from Amazon that specified the part number of the existing dead keyfob and tried programming it as per YouTube video instructions. Unfortunately, the programming was unsuccessful - which did not surprise me as the price for the new fob was only $22 and change. Any thoughts anyone? I have not yet gotten desperate enough to try the local VW dealer.....
While I think your situation is similar, there are significant differences in the FOBs of Q5/Q7's and the Jetta. Most notably, I believe your era JSW uses the RFID chip in the 2 part rectangular FOB. Also, the Q5/Q7's were available with both the normal blade key FOB (non-rectangular) and the 2 part (internal blade) for push button start.

Have you looked at this?