What did you do to your MK7 today?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
as to calipers, the bleeder is in correct position. If you lay the original caliper next to the gti caliper after removing, spring, arm, and cable bracket, you can position the cable bracket in exact position as it is on original. Mark the position for the hole you need to drill, it will appear as if you don't have enough surface to put the hole, use a small drill bit to drill a pilot hole. there is plenty of steel there to hold the torx screw. If the screw bottoms without hettin tight enough, shorten the screw, a flat bottom tap is helpful as well. I'll try tomorrow to get a photo of finished job but it would have been better to photo the various stages. Without dissembling, I don't know how much you will see beyond my description. what was apparent was that your photo was taken with the swing arm in extended position, compressed, the cable radius would be more extreme.

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I understood your instructions the first three times you’ve posted them. Having had both sets of calipers disassembled side-by-side, I stand by my decision of not drilling into the calipers due to the perceived lack of steel.

The next time I switch wheels, I’ll take a look at drilling. In the mean time, my car stops and the ebrake works perfectly. The “ugly” approach works fine.

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Been driving mine since some time in February without making the discussed modifications. Besides being ugly I've had no issues.

If I come across a deal on a set I would gladly pay to have the work done if such services are on offer here.

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
I'd be happy to mod calipers for 15 each but they are heavy so shipping each way might be expensive.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Passed state inspection. And I'm a little embarrassed to admit that yesterday marked a year since I've put fuel in it. I really should drive it more, it's a nice car.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Over the weekend, replaced pads & rotors, all four corners on the Sportwagen. Was eerily similar to the mk4 as far as how everything goes together, rewinding the rear, etc.; everything's just a bit bigger. Didn't go smoothly though - rotors rusted on solid, some very reluctant bolts. Then yesterday, got to do the fronts all over again, because the splash shields were missing, and to my surprise, that's a mandatory safety item (here, anyway). Had I only known...

PSA: Rear carrier to hub bolts are M14 12-point-triple-square/XZN and you want a short driver. I happen to have a set, but in an inconvenient length (medium?), which left me fighting with the spring (and I didn't have enough lead-time before stores closed for Sunday and Monday to get a short one, with everything limited to curbside pickup). The bolts were breaker-bar-and-brick-hammer stiff the entire way out, too. Other sizes required were: 21mm socket (Front carrier to hub), 17mm and 15mm thin open-end wrenches (front and rear slide pins, respectively), and 13mm socket (caliper bolts).

Tomorrow: reluctantly, selling it. Love it, but it doesn't make much sense for us anymore. Still no real word on when I'll start going back to the office, and if it will be fully, partially, or only occasionally. Even still, it's not nearly far enough away to keep a diesel happy (particularly not with all the emissions equipment). I had been going back and forth to Brantford (50 km away) twice weekly back when I bought it, so it made a lot more sense then, and even after that stopped, it was our road tripper, so it was great for that. We are dropping to one vehicle - with a roof, anyway. Currently that's a '17 Kia Sportage (base/FWD), but we've ordered a new hybrid Sienna XLE (once Toyota gets it built, anyway... They're so far back-ordered, we probably won't get it till fall). I also have a motorcycle (1994 KLR 650), which I can use when it isn't too cold out, and if I do go back more regularly, I'll get a beater. We are also expecting our first child in September (yay!!!!) so I won't have to worry anyway while wifey's on mat leave (which is 12-18 months here).

The wagon is going to a very nice guy who lives north of Quebec city and commutes 45km into the city daily (still), so it should serve him well. I found him by chance while trying to look up prices for similar cars, as he had a want-ad for this very car that came up in my search. Hopefully he joins the 'club!

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Had a drivers door that was starting to sag, would hear it drop when opening, I could lift up on the door and hear it clunk as it raised a few MM.

Took a look at the top hinge, the grub screw holding the pin to the lower part bolted to the car was finger tight, took off the dust cap and saw it was a "reverse torx" or E style bit, luckily I had snagged a set when I had to R/R pads and rotors on the wife's Saab 9-3 back in 2011. The grub screw was an E8 or something, got a full rotation on it and boom solved the saggy door, no slop.

Originally I was thinking I'd need to replace the full hinge at $90.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Just ordered a mib2 with 8" glass screen from the same guy. Can't wait for it to get here.

Finally jumped on a MIB2 setup and put that in today. Really easy install surprisingly and works awesome!
Was told I would need to make at least one code change as I have the Fender system, but I have yet to touch anything and all systems working as they should. Plug & play from Bojan from the MK7 TDI facebook page.
Would love to figure out the performance gauges since only the G-force one works. Boost doesn't go anywhere near high enough, and oil/coolant temp just flat out don't show.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I try and stay off FB these days, but how much is he getting for just the 8" glass display?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
PSA: Rear carrier to hub bolts are M14 12-point-triple-square/XZN and you want a short driver. I happen to have a set, but in an inconvenient length (medium?), which left me fighting with the spring (and I didn't have enough lead-time before stores closed for Sunday and Monday to get a short one, with everything limited to curbside pickup). The bolts were breaker-bar-and-brick-hammer stiff the entire way out, too. Other sizes required were: 21mm socket (Front carrier to hub), 17mm and 15mm thin open-end wrenches (front and rear slide pins, respectively), and 13mm socket (caliper bolts).
Just to add to the PSA for those venturing into the rear brakes: the torque spec on those M14 bolts on the rear carrier is 90Nm (65ft.lbs)+90° AND the bolt has a captive ribbed washer. So cracking those bolt loose - make sure you have some room to swing a fairly massive breaker bar.

Best wishes to you and the (impending) family, @nkgagne!

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Just ordered a mib2 with 8" glass screen from the same guy. Can't wait for it to get here.
He was really responsive, though I didn't need any help really. He was surprised, as was I, that I didn't have to recode for the Fender amp.
The only thing that was confusing for me at first was where the wiring adapter for the USB jack went. The master plug for the headunit has several wiring connectors all in one place, so you have to pull out one to then swap in the new one. All of a few minutes for that. I used a nice sharp razor blade to clean up the "keys" on the connectors that need to come off as well. No need to get plastic shavings everywhere with a dremel. If I had to do it all again could probably do the whole thing in an hour.

Trfytoy

TDI
2015 Golf
Is there a write up or video for installation?

He was really responsive, though I didn't need any help really. He was surprised, as was I, that I didn't have to recode for the Fender amp.
The only thing that was confusing for me at first was where the wiring adapter for the USB jack went. The master plug for the headunit has several wiring connectors all in one place, so you have to pull out one to then swap in the new one. All of a few minutes for that. I used a nice sharp razor blade to clean up the "keys" on the connectors that need to come off as well. No need to get plastic shavings everywhere with a dremel. If I had to do it all again could probably do the whole thing in an hour.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I think of this as the canonical thread on the MIB2 retrofit:

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
Got an oil sensor malfunction on MFD checked oil level was fine, suspected rodents chewed something near the oil pan checked for codes got P019700 indicating fault in the oil temp/ low level sender found near oil pan drain plug. Discovered some chewed wiring. Gotta figure out the best way to repair those wires. Love the car though, even though maybe the squirrels don’t 🤣👍🏻

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Got an oil sensor malfunction on MFD checked oil level was fine, suspected rodents chewed something near the oil pan checked for codes got P019700 indicating fault in the oil temp/ low level sender found near oil pan drain plug. Discovered some chewed wiring. Gotta figure out the best way to repair those wires. Love the car though, even though maybe the squirrels don’t 🤣👍🏻
best of luck, i do think the ECU uses that oil temp for some parameters, while it shouldn't be an issue short term best to take care of it sooner rather than later.

GolfSW98

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 TDI
The splices I ordered were for 24-26awg wire and the wire I ordered was 24ga copper stranded. I read on another thread the wire spec on the appropriate repair wire is .5mm ~25ga? not including the sleeve. I will update how it works out, just waiting for delivery.

edit: repair worked and the splices were a decent fit, looks like the stock wiring is more like 23ga but good luck finding wire like that. I also had to use 3/8in corrugated wire tube because the splices added thickness, I also added heat shrink on top of the splices for extra protection. My advice would be to add a larger corrugated sleeve on top of your stock wiring if the rodents haven’t gotten to it. Cheap insurance and takes 5 minutes during an oil change. Then you will have two layers of protection!

Edit: April 2023 Update: repair is still perfect, knock on wood.

Last edited: