Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Mozambiquer said:
To be fair, this is in a way a GPS fault, it will route you over the gap and by the time you see the sign it's a 100 mile detour, which is costly, so they gamble and run the gap
That's very true, but it's also the reason that a lot of truckers have a truckers gps... My dad drove truck, and he had his first gps send him through the mountains in Arkansas once, he learned then that you don't believe the gps... Also he then bought a truckers gps, which helps.
Sorry, got to engage "pedantic mode" for a moment:

This sort of thing is specifically the fault of the maps/routing software in the GPS receiver (your phone or Garmin-type device). That's what is different about a "Trucker's GPS"- the map data has additional metadata in it to indicate whether roads are suitable for large/commercial vehicles (road/bridge weight limits, ability of extended-length vehicles to manage turns, hill grades, etc.)

There've been stories over the years of drivers doing stupid things and blaming it on "GPS" (I recall one where someone in Britain drove right into a lake because the GPS they were using didn't have the lake in its map data. Understanding that the GPS is not all-knowing and infallible and having the brains to ignore it when it's clearly telling you do do something stupid because of inaccurate map data is critical to using such a device effectively.

Pedantic Mode disengaged. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread topic, already in progress...

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
People are dumb, we cant get this Schumacher wannabe granny to stay between the mustard and mayo, you want a truck driver to read road signs and use common sense?

JTL29926

TDI
2014 A6 Prestige
So is this the same cycling "Crew" that loves to blow off stop signs en mass with 15 to 30 cyclists? Or is it the one that likes to ride 3 abreast in Double Yellow 45MPH zone?

Asking for a friend...

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Sorry, got to engage "pedantic mode" for a moment:

This sort of thing is specifically the fault of the maps/routing software in the GPS receiver (your phone or Garmin-type device). That's what is different about a "Trucker's GPS"- the map data has additional metadata in it to indicate whether roads are suitable for large/commercial vehicles (road/bridge weight limits, ability of extended-length vehicles to manage turns, hill grades, etc.)

There've been stories over the years of drivers doing stupid things and blaming it on "GPS" (I recall one where someone in Britain drove right into a lake because the GPS they were using didn't have the lake in its map data. Understanding that the GPS is not all-knowing and infallible and having the brains to ignore it when it's clearly telling you do do something stupid because of inaccurate map data is critical to using such a device effectively.

Pedantic Mode disengaged. We now return you to your regularly-scheduled thread topic, already in progress...
Speaking of stories of truckers doing stupid things, this one happened last fall about twenty miles south of me: https://abc17news.com/news/osage/2020/08/17/westphalia-bridge-collapses-as-truck-tries-to-cross/

Anyone that's ever driven a truck before knows that minor mistakes can turn into major screw-ups rather easily.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
So is this the same cycling "Crew" that loves to blow off stop signs en mass with 15 to 30 cyclists? Or is it the one that likes to ride 3 abreast in Double Yellow 45MPH zone?

Asking for a friend...
That would be a Darwin crew, never met them, and if I did wouldn't ride with them

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
Speaking of stories of truckers doing stupid things, this one happened last fall about twenty miles south of me: https://abc17news.com/news/osage/2020/08/17/westphalia-bridge-collapses-as-truck-tries-to-cross/

Anyone that's ever driven a truck before knows that minor mistakes can turn into major screw-ups rather easily.
Hey, that means you're in my area! That's 40 minutes east of me...
At the very same time that was happening, we were picking up pieces of a feed truck that came from the mill that truck was heading to. The driver rolled his truck several times and survived with only a few scratches, even though he wasn't buckled in...
I also got to listen to the dispatch recording from that Pentecostal bridge incident... It was toned out as a truck stuck on the bridge, first fire personnel on scene you hear them saying "umm, uhh, there IS NO bridge!" I could only imagine showing up to that.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
It was toned out as a truck stuck on the bridge
I used to maintain municipal equipment and go on service calls, that brings up lots of memories. After a while we knew those reports could mean almost anything

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I used to maintain municipal equipment and go on service calls, that brings up lots of memories. After a while we knew those reports could mean almost anything
That's for sure! I'm on the local volunteer fire department... Anything could be something, or absolutely nothing.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
When I was growing up in the 80s, my dad bought my mom a scanner for an anniversary gift. We'd have the thing running all day, and it'd be background noise during family dinners. Could be interesting, entertaining, or both.

Like the time they dispatched a cop a couple towns over to some backwoods road to check out someone reporting "a giant chicken running alongside someone's car". Turned out it was an emu on the loose (we heard the cop report in that the darn thing was looking in the windshield at him when he stopped in the area of the report to have a quick look around), took them a while to corral the thing with the help of a local emu farmer (wasn't his, but he helped them catch it). We had a good laugh about that one...

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
When I was growing up in the 80s, my dad bought my mom a scanner for an anniversary gift. We'd have the thing running all day, and it'd be background noise during family dinners. Could be interesting, entertaining, or both.

Like the time they dispatched a cop a couple towns over to some backwoods road to check out someone reporting "a giant chicken running alongside someone's car". Turned out it was an emu on the loose (we heard the cop report in that the darn thing was looking in the windshield at him when he stopped in the area of the report to have a quick look around), took them a while to corral the thing with the help of a local emu farmer (wasn't his, but he helped them catch it). We had a good laugh about that one...

That’s the best story today. I had to read this to my wife and we both got a laugh out of it.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Spent 5 days in the hills and made it back alive. More than once found some idiot in my lane, couple close calls. No doubt each and every one thought the corner was clear...

Mozambiquer

TDI
Spent 5 days in the hills and made it back alive. More than once found some idiot in my lane, couple close calls. No doubt each and every one thought the corner was clear...
It could have been the time I was there, being a Tuesday evening at around 5 PM, but there weren't a lot of people there and nobody in my lane, plus i didn't go in the other people's lane.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
I watched a bicyclist try to close the side mirror on the t'reg by slapping it but ended up hurting his hand in the process. That did not stop him from going after the next car down the block🤭

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
My GF was following me in a car, I was on the bike that I just picked up from storage, so cars 1/2 in my lane were not eager to move over, but when some idiot in S10 pick up made of 3 different color panels came around the turn and saw her, he yanked on the wheel and ended up doing a tank-slapper almost in to the ditch. That was her first time on that road and to my surprise she loved it (she doesn't like driving in general) after few days she asked me if I would let her ride my bike on the Dragon... perhaps next time :)

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I've ridden motorcycles for years on tons of two-lane roads, but riding a bicycle with ditches and no shoulders I would not recommend. Imo it places an inconsiderate risk on people trying to protect the bicyclist while not getting hit head-on or hit from behind is not fun. If there's a decent shoulder at least most of the way that's a different story. To each his own but if push comes to shove it won't be me in the ditch.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Yikes. I hope that's mostly bluster. I had a classmate on her bicycle killed by an inattentive driver in the 3rd grade. Those are people, not squirrels.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
I do what I can to protect everyone in that unfortunate situation, especially the cyclist, who at that moment I consider an idiot. sorry.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Yikes. I hope that's mostly bluster. I had a classmate on her bicycle killed by an inattentive driver in the 3rd grade. Those are people, not squirrels.

Wasn't CFO (VP?) of Napster killed while riding a bicycle IN A BIKE LANE by a cop who was driving and checking messages on the laptop...
We have those white bicycles everywhere, they are placed wherever bicyclist was killed... one is a tiny kid bike for a 5 year old who was plowed while crossing in a crosswalk.
I always joke that if you want to order a hit save the money and just do it yourself with a car... you can kill pedestrian, bicyclist or a motorcyclist with a car and get away without as much as a misdemeanor...

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
In the past month I have watched at least 3 scooter accidents while driving in the city. The stats for 2 wheel casualties have gone up significantly regardless of the abundance of bike lanes...

In defense of the bicyclist who smacked my side mirror in an attempt to shut it, he did so because I was parked over the bike lane for a few minutes 😬

But then again there was not a single car going down the street at the time he was riding by; he could have just went around without making a fuss.