Sound Off on Current Diesel Price

lemoncurd

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 CJAA GTB2266
Saw my prices spike to 3.50/gal here in eastern CT 2 weekends ago, they seem to have gone back down to 3.05ish now

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
$2.99 - $3.19 depending on where you go in northeast Minnesota.

oldsoul

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI, 2000 New Beetle Non-TDI: 2013 Grand Caravan, 1994 Buick Regal (for sale), 2014 Nissan Pathfinder
RUG is touching $3.00/gal here is SoFlo. D2 is right there with it.

The rate at which prices have been marching steadily up doesn't match other normal weather events. I could see low inventory being an issue, but then I also see producers best interest is for prices to climb and use weather/pandemic shut down/ policy changes as excuse.

What ever the reason I don't like how quickly the prices started rising and it's affecting budgets.

Jason

Seems that this trend started right around the same time that the 11,000 Keystone Pipeline jobs were killed. Don't know if that is related, just an observation.

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
Hi Gang, Just paid $2.84 at my favorite station here in central Massachusetts. Just wondering what you all are seeing.:confused:

20 miles NE of our state capitol - Northern CA - ULSD range is $4.19 - $4.49. One of the lesser factors associated with California's charm...............
I recall MA - I went to your Fort Devens ASA school - noting -25F temps all too frequently. .......... don't think I could handle that these days.............

ez

Cuzoe

Veteran Member
TDI
MK7 Golf S
Seeing prices anywhere from a hair under $4 to $4.59 around Los Angeles (SFV and WeHo are the only places I really go).

jettavr6guy

TDI
2009 Sportwagen
Trying to understand why after the “recoup costs” period following the reformulation to ultra low sulfur diesel that given the trucking industry’s political influence things have not stabilized nationally?!
PLEASE educate me! Thanks.
Signed,
Recently returned to the fold
😊

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Filled up with diesel at $2.699 at the fuel station near Clark Brother Guns in VA .... there is another station near where I got fuel this time that is usually similar in price (usually exactly the same) but with 50 cetane fuel but their fuel price board was not turned on so I just went with the $2.699 40 cetane fuel.

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Trying to understand why after the “recoup costs” period following the reformulation to ultra low sulfur diesel that given the trucking industry’s political influence things have not stabilized nationally?!
PLEASE educate me! Thanks.
Signed,
Recently returned to the fold
😊

HI,

I did some trucking type work a few years ago and if I understand your question correctly .....

Fuel prices don't matter a lot to many truckers IF their contract has a built in fuel surcharge clause that entitles them to additional "pay" for fuel costs above a certain "base" agreed to amount (example if the base amount of the fuel is set at $2.00 per gallon and the fuel cost is $2.50 per gallon , the trucker pays the $2.50 at the pump and is paid the .50 per gallon from the shipper (of course the shipper charges their customer and ultimately regular people end up paying it in terms of higher product or service charges ).

The real people who complain about high fuel costs are truckers whose companies get the fuel surcharges but don't pass it on to their drivers and fuel users (like most car and pick up drivers unless driving commercially (I get fuel surcharges in my contracts BUT unfortunately if fuel goes down then I have to , believe it or not, pay IN money .... that had happened when fuel prices dropped drastically during the pandemic early on) who do not get fuel surcharges anyways).

Probably not enough real complainers to get things done fuel wise to change prices (it used to be diesel was even cheaper than gasoline BUT my suspicion as to why it is higher is because they can charge higher ( and use additional refining costs as an excuse) and get away with it because of the above reasons ( end users end up sucking up the fuel charges and not really know it).

Hope that was clear ...

Andrew

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Bolt EV Premier, 2023 Bolt EUV Premier
$3.07 for diesel and $2.81 for RUG at the local Speedway.

peteyfalz

TDI
2002 mk4 jetta alh
Well NJ is fun I guess

$3.25 peak at a wawa, for those who don’t know what wawa is its one of those popular food mart/gas station typa deals with alot of locations.

haha.. help

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
$2.94 for rug $2.89 for diesel

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Well NJ is fun I guess

$3.25 peak at a wawa, for those who don’t know what wawa is its one of those popular food mart/gas station typa deals with alot of locations.

haha.. help
Depends on where in NJ ("zone pricing" - two stations across the street from one another can be in different zones and have vastly different prices).

The parts of NJ I am in (78 corridor in Hunterdon/Warren, RT3 corridor in Clifton) I am seeing around $2.999 for diesel.

(edit) Oh, and the toll roads (Parkway, Turnpike) are typically a nickel or so higher...

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
$3.19 for diesel and $2.85 for RUG at the local Speedway. No lines though.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just paid 2.85 for diesel in Camdenton Missouri. I saw 2.79 on my way back home, but most everywhere else is 2.99
I don't pay attention to the gasoline prices, at I only drive diesels.

peteyfalz

TDI
2002 mk4 jetta alh
Depends on where in NJ ("zone pricing" - two stations across the street from one another can be in different zones and have vastly different prices).

The parts of NJ I am in (78 corridor in Hunterdon/Warren, RT3 corridor in Clifton) I am seeing around $2.999 for diesel.

(edit) Oh, and the toll roads (Parkway, Turnpike) are typically a nickel or so higher...
south jersey all around 3.20ish fluctuating up to 3.25 ive seen and father down

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
Just joined Costco recently and they carry diesel with 5% bio diesel added....

cost is $2.929 per gallon

Charlottesville

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
I had a pleasant surprise today, when I found myself in the town with the cheapest diesel in the state of Minnesota. I only needed 11 gallons to fill up but I definitely took advantage as the normal price is $3.099 just about everywhere. Kwik Trip in New Prague, MN. This might be B10 or possibly B20 which is the maximum.

El Dobro

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Diesel's holding at $3.19, but RUG went up to $2.99, at the local Speedway.