2014 NMS 170k km Buyback - Adblue

Braikabras

TDI
2002 Black Jetta
Hey, first post in years.
Bought a used 2014 highline (SEL I guess) back in sept 2019. 140k km, had the passenger heater core replaced twice, but this is not my issue.
Car went quite well and I like the comfort upgrade from my MK4 Jetta.

In February 2021, I got the dreaded "Adblue" problem where the dash says you wont be able to start the car in 250 km. Roughly 170 km on the car, so the emissions extended warranty is still valid. Brought it to the dealer, and they resetted it and all was fine. 1 month later, almost exactly at the same geographical location, speed, direction and a little warmer outside temperature, same problem.
Brought the car to the dealer on March 23rd, and it is still sitting there today. The dealership called me yesterday to tell me that VW was going to contact me to offer a buyback, since they cannot fix the issue.
I almost fell down of my chair.
I love the car (except for the slow reverse camera that I hate). Was planning on keeping it forever. I don't know what to do. What other cars are comfy/nice looking/fuel efficient? Kind of scared to buy another passat, since I just got to know this one very well, and I don't know any alternatives. Looking for suggestions.

Did anybody else get a buyback offer for a problem with the Adblue? Googling it only brings up results from the emissions scandal/program.

Lex Tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat
They are an excellent car if you delete the emission problems off of them... If you are willing to that you will have lots of trouble free miles. If not i would take them up on the buyback offer.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Replacement of the unit has usually worked for most with this issue. Resetting it alone probably won't work. Replaced on my daughters 2015 with no issues since. Covered under warranty.

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
Sad to see dealers give up so easy when trying to diagnose/fix any TDI. I used to take my older TDI to the dealer in St-Hyacinthe, which seems a little far for you, but at least back then (2008-2010) that dealer had decently proficient techs.

Now, if the offer of the buyback is juicy, and I know Quebec/Canada has decent incentives for EVs, why not test drive an ID.4?

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
If you love the car, why not use buyback money to find a much lower mileage 2015? The buyback money should be sufficient to find a really nice one.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Is your car an automatic? Apparently they can’t fix manuals in the 14 and earlier.

If an automatic, it should be fixable, may be cheaper for vw to offer you a buyback? Push them on a fix if they don’t offer you an acceptable buyback, the car is under warranty and they have an obligation to fix it.

They should also provide a free loaner until they fix it. Ask them what is wrong with it and let us know.

Braikabras

TDI
2002 Black Jetta
Hi, thanks for the responses.
Dealer is not telling me what the problem is. I'll try to at least get the codes.

I got a call from VW Care last thursday saying that I should get an offer soon from the TDI warranty team.

Yes it is an automatic (DSG), I don't think there are manual Passat NMS out there. I'm definitely in the market for a 2015 with similar or lower mileage, as the TDI warranty is 261 000km. I do have a hard time finding a similarly equipped car though (highline + sport).

On the electric side, it is ironic but I have trouble trusting these cars for reliability and longevity. I could be interested in a ID.4, when do they arrive on the market?

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
I had the same feeling that there weren't any 2015 SEL/highline Passats 6MT out there...or was it SEL Golf Sportwagen?

One of the two is possible to find: they were offered, the other one wasn't offered.

ID.4 is almost here in the US, actually they have a demo one in my dealer. Website says summer 2021.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I thought they had a software fix for the CKRA cars that did this SCR system freak out post Dieselgate. Either way, a delete will fix it forever.