2011 JSW getting a new engine wiring harness.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
So the '11 lit up the CEL the other day, no drivability issues noted. Other half dropped the car off yesterday morning, 3 hours in they mention glow plug issue and they set up a loaner saying to check back in tomorrow. Just received update that cause is a wiring harness issue which was causing a low fuel pressure code, VW won't let them repair the harness and require them replace the entire harness. Woof!

ETA is Tuesday (dropped off yesterday). Have an AMAZING last generation Sentra SV (I think Nissan is still making them for fleets) from Enterprise in the meantime, fortunately I don't have to drive it. :ROFLMAO:. I asked my other half to try to notate the cost on the warranty copy - looking at some old threads looks like this is a ~$1400/repair.

I'll update this when I see the service record and have the full picture. Lets see how this goes and how long it actually takes.

Porch

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 jetta sportwagen tdi 6spd
Wow, no VW loaner? That's a bummer, they've loaned me 2 passats, a tiguan(blech) and an atlas(great off road) for all my warranty work. Probably never go to vw again now that my warranty is out.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
VW not letting them repair the harness makes it sound like VW is picking up the tab, innit?

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
VW not letting them repair the harness makes it sound like VW is picking up the tab, innit?
VW is paying - it is covered under the dieselgate warranty. ETA is now Thursday morning - keeps getting pushed back so we shall see if Thursday happens.

Wow, no VW loaner? That's a bummer, they've loaned me 2 passats, a tiguan(blech) and an atlas(great off road) for all my warranty work. Probably never go to vw again now that my warranty is out.
They have some Tiguan and Jetta loaners but once those are gone they set you up with Enterprise.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
VW is paying - it is covered under the dieselgate warranty.
Glad to hear that!

They have some Tiguan and Jetta loaners but once those are gone they set you up with Enterprise.
I see. Same here; I've had VW loaners, and rental loaners paid by VW. Once they gave me a VW SUV (Atlas?) that barely fit into my parking space; very nice hulking car otherwise, but kind of the opposite of a TDI...

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Yikes! That does look like a lot of time to do. I would def not want to pay the bill for that.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Neither does Volkswagen, which is why techs have to rush through warranty work... and the cars often become a boomerang problem child. Sucks when you are trying to earn a living, you just spent two hours trying to diagnose something, for which you get paid $0, then they pay you 50% of the actual time it takes to do the repair. Been there, done that, got the tee-shirt. I feel for those guys. Dieselgate has made it SO MUCH worse for them.

Imagine your employer saying to you "Hey, we (meaning them, not you, but you get sucked into it anyway) made a mistake, and now we (them, but with your help and no choice in the matter) have to fix it. Oh, and you (no longer "we") will be getting fifty cents on the dollar for our (their) mistake. Toodles!"

Yeah... that's Dieselgate in a nutshell at the dealer level.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
So car was picked up this morning (6 days) - new wiring harness and maybe 1 new glow plug.

Cliffs notes from service ticket:

Codes - P13D9 and P13D7 "Sensor for internal pressure of cylinder 4 electrical error". Swapped glow plug and fault still exists. Removed air filter housing, battery, battery tray, wiper arms, cowl trim, removed and replaced engine harness.

Warranty cost estimate:

Crummy picture of totals and its missing first page details so don't have the full parts picture.

Parts - $758. Harness was $474 of that, can't see detail on the remainder but guessing glow plug and maybe some other miscellaneous parts/supplies.
Rental Car - $266
Labor billed - 1 hour at $132, actual hours 4.94 so lets say $650 actual labor. I really hope they get paid more than an hour for this job.

So if billed at actual labor hours this would have been a $1.4k + 9% tax repair not including the rental. Yikes.

Going to pop the engine cover off tomorrow and take a glance. Here is to hoping no more issues in the near future, still going to be under TDI extended warranty for 2 more years but would rather not having to deal with bringing car in constantly.

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
WOW - I didn't realize that the dealerships only received 1/2 compensation for warranty (or just this warranty?) work. Definitely makes me worry about the quality of any warranty work I might need on my jsw going forward. Now I understand why some dealerships fight approving work on the dieselgate warranty.

Last edited:

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
No wonder the dealer has been trying to weasel out of warranty work as of late - the '11 has had its fair share of problems like my now departed basket case '12. Here is list so far - in ~2 years it has been out of service for repairs for a combined 11 days. 5 days for pano roof repairs and now 6 days for the engine harness.

- Front passenger ABS sensor. ($50 CPO deductible)
- Pano roof seals, roof drains, headliner and carpet. ($50 CPO deductible)
- Delaminated passenger rear view mirror ($50 CPO deductible) - this is where they tried to say not covered.
- Engine harness (TDI no deductible) - originally tried to tell us TDI warranty was only 10/120 from original in service date and was expired.

CPO is expiring in 4 days so ancillary stuff is all on us now.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
No wonder why many good techs are long gone. I noticed the quality of their work gone downhill as my car, 2014 JSW had 5 HPFP failures in 6 months from Sept 2018 to Feb 2019 from 20k miles to 25k miles. the 5th time they decided to check the fuel tank, BEHOLD! It was caked in mold/mildew from sitting 2 years as an former buyback car. so they warrantied everything once again and cleaned the fuel tank. the next day I got the car back, slapped the CP3 on and she chugs nicely at 99k miles now.