B7 Audi A4 BHW swap

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW swap, 2003 Jetta ALH, 2002 Ram Cummins
I'm starting a build thread for my a4 tdi swap for question and info! And I'll post pictures along the way if I can.

I bought a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 6 speed with a dead 2.0t in it. I had already picked up a 2005 Passat tdi that has a rough body so it'll be my BHW doner. I plan to do the balance shaft module delete and timing kit on it while it's out, as well as check the cam for wear as it has 350,000 kilometers on it.

I have a list of parts to get from Europe to make the swap easier, but now to source them! Does anyone know what connections to get European Audi tdi parts on the forum?

It's not going to be a rushed swap, I wanna do it right the first time! Excited to get started on it.

I'm not new to the diesel world but I'm am pretty new to the VW/Audi world.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'm starting a build thread for my a4 tdi swap for question and info! And I'll post pictures along the way if I can.

I bought a 2006 Audi A4 Avant 6 speed with a dead 2.0t in it. I had already picked up a 2005 Passat tdi that has a rough body so it'll be my BHW doner. I plan to do the balance shaft module delete and timing kit on it while it's out, as well as check the cam for wear as it has 350,000 kilometers on it.

I have a list of parts to get from Europe to make the swap easier, but now to source them! Does anyone know what connections to get European Audi tdi parts on the forum?

It's not going to be a rushed swap, I wanna do it right the first time! Excited to get started on it.

I'm not new to the diesel world but I'm am pretty new to the VW/Audi world.
I know that swap has been done quite a few times. I want to follow for progress.
As far as for euro tdi parts, there is Dutch Auto parts, you can look in the vendor section and find their info.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
I know that swap has been done quite a few times. I want to follow for progress.
As far as for euro tdi parts, there is Dutch Auto parts, you can look in the vendor section and find their info.
Thanks for the info. I sent them an email now.

On a side note, I was going to upload pictures of what I'm starting with but haven't figured out how to do that yet.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI

Here's the a4 I'm starting with.

Front end was already pulled apart and in the back of the car.

The Doner Passat. Someone previously 5 speed swapped the car so I'll sell the full 5 speed swap to help pay for the car.

V70R

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
I’d say find your ideal LHD harness so there’s less harness modifications you need to do. 8E1 refers to LHD, 8E2 is RHD. If you need help finding a harness PM me, I’ve got a good friend locally who has been finding all my Exeo CAHA stuff for my A4.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
I’d say find your ideal LHD harness so there’s less harness modifications you need to do. 8E1 refers to LHD, 8E2 is RHD. If you need help finding a harness PM me, I’ve got a good friend locally who has been finding all my Exeo CAHA stuff for my A4.
That would be an awesome help. I sent you a message @V70R

86turbodsl

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Golf GLS TDI (retired), 04 A4Q (swap candidate)
Another vote for Dutch Auto Parts. Frans will get you the parts you want quick and reasonable. He got me a TDI 01E very quickly.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
Another question I had is about swapping gauge clusters. I've found quite a few b7 a4 tdi gauge clusters on ebay that are in kms/hr as well. Would be nice to keep the factory look with the proper rpm gauge and red line. I've done a bit of searching and it doesn't look too hopefully but I was wondering if anyone here has done it successfully?

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
Another question I had is about swapping gauge clusters. I've found quite a few b7 a4 tdi gauge clusters on ebay that are in kms/hr as well. Would be nice to keep the factory look with the proper rpm gauge and red line. I've done a bit of searching and it doesn't look too hopefully but I was wondering if anyone here has done it successfully?
I have done this to few CANADA guys, As a matter of fact just did one for guy in Quebec .
Only way to do this is to properly is to buy TDI cluster and Program original data to it .
Other thing is , I know all those guys they flash ECU to AUDI TDI Sw .

If you interested you can send me message or Email me.

jetta 97

Vendor
TDI
2 X Jatta MK5 2006
With all due respect, you are wrong. I have done it at least 10 times. EPC light acts as glow plug light and the diesel gauge face places the glow indicator over the EPC lamp location. I change bit 0330 from A0 to 78 to correct the tachometer span using vag eeprom programmer. The tach calibration lies outside the encrypted and checksummed area so it is no problem, even with chinese tools. This works on RB4 (B6) and RB8 (B7) clusters.
I was talking about pure Factory cluster , Of course if do modifications , then it will work.

For reasons I can't explain, I have never been able to match the european immo to the north american car, even with all of the pin data. I'm guessing it could be done if the key/immo data could be written directly, but they won't pair by conventional means. I bricked a couple clusters (but recovered them with encrypted dumps) and finally gave up. I'm thinking AVDI could do it, but I don't have that kind of cash.
You are not able to program it B7 cluster with tool you are using because it is Immo 4 ,this requiring much better tool and need to know what to do , and you have to get B7 Euro cluster to be able to match key .

I use euro B7 tdi ECU's in all of my swaps. The passat ECU does not have the hardware to operate the cooling fan or cruise control. You can flash audi software to a passat ECU and it may run, but no fans or cruise.
Well you need to know what to do to make it work, it is possible , I know many people that has done this .Passt ECU and Audi Euro ECU has same HW, so they are interchangeable.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
Time to talk tuning! I've talked to Malone and they will help me, but they only communicate by email and I would rather not deal with someone I have to wait days to hear from by email if I have tuning problems.. this is so far my best option but looking for recommendations! @QuickTD recommend TDtuning but their site seems to be down and so I haven't found a way to reach them. Checked with Stevenson tuning and he said he doesn't have time to do it for me.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI

Got the BHW pulled and on the engine stand before I left town for a bit for work, so when I get back home I'll start getting into that. BSM delete if not done already (I have no history on the engine), timing belt, and take a look at the cam.

Straypoet

Veteran Member
TDI
BHW 2.0, soon to be in my Wrangler.
Looks like a good thread, I will be following.
I am in the middle of BHW swap myself; so BHW info is always good to find.

:)

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
What are the plans for the engine on the right of the BHW? The one that probably fits the Dodge.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
So I'll have a small pause here now, I had been waiting 3 years, since a vehicle accident I was in, for surgery on my foot and they called me in short notice last week so now I'm on crutches for a bit. I ended up picking up the 2005 Passat BHW to drive around for the time being because my clutch foot is out of commission. I'll find out on the 18th how long I'm going to be off work for and so then can plan my return to the swap.
I

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
I spent some time on one foot in the shop stripping one side of the bhw. Needs a good bath at least now.

I've been doing a bit of research on the cam wear in these things and from what I've found this one looks pretty bad? No chamfer on the end of the lobe, at least 2 of the lobes. I'll take a closer look at the lifters next time I'm in there. So what are suggestions on replacement cams? Probably don't really need to spend the extra on a stage 2 Colt or something like that, but something that'll hopefully last a long while.

Last edited:

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I spent some time on one foot in the shop striping one side of the bhw. Needs a good bath at least now.

I've been doing a bit of research on the cam wear in these things and from what I've found this one looks pretty bad? No chamfer on the end of the lobe, at least 2 of the lobes. I'll take a closer look at the lifters next time I'm in there. So what are suggestions on replacement cams? Probably don't really need to spend the extra on a stage 2 Colt or something like that, but something that'll hopefully last a long while.
One of my Passats are in need of a cam, I'll be going with a franko6 cam, as it's designed for long life. see the photo for what his kit contains and how much they are, as of a few weeks back. Other than that, if you're looking to go with a stock cam, I'd probably go with a bew cam, as they're not quite as prone to wearing out as the BRM and BHW were. It'll lower the power just slightly though, as I understand, but most people won't notice.

Attachments

50harleyrider

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 B5.5 TDI/geared BSM, BV43A turbo,stage 2 TDTUNING. 2005 5sp manual passat tdi stage 2 tdtuning,BSM delete. 2015 Passat TDI 6sp manual.
will be watching and doing one myself as I just picked up an 08 B7. It still runs so will be collecting parts for the swap. They are really sweet handling, solid cars. I had a 4motion 2002 passat awhile back and it was nice also. Must be the rear suspension and added weight.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
In my experience, a BEW cam wears much the same. They all die around here at about 300-400K km, BHW or BEW. I've seen a BHW with a decent original cam at 420K km and a BEW punch through a lifter at 190K km. There does not appear to be much rhyme or reason.

I use the cheap AMC cam kits. I've tested them to 150k km, no issues. They usually come with Glyco bearings and INA black lifters. Realistically, you're not going to put another 300k on the thing, so why pay double the money?
Thanks @QuickTD that's good to hear, I had a friend tell me his dad used the AMC kit in his TDI too. I'm hoping I'll be putting 300k kms more on it once it's in, so if that means another cam down the road then that'll get addressed when the time comes! It'll be a little bit before I start buying parts yet so for now I'm going to do what I can with what I already have. My next step is to pull the pan off the engine and see if the BSM delete has been done or not.

I have a clutch on It's way from Mec Evo that's supposed to be for VW TDI/Audi Transmission swaps. It's a DKM clutch rated at 440 ft/lbs. It comes with a single mass flywheel, which I have been warned against, but I figured I'll try it for myself. Considering I daily drive a 2nd gen Cummins I imagine the vibrations will be similar to what I'm used to.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
A nice surprise today; pulled the oil pan before ordering parts for a balance shaft delete, to find that a previous owner of the Passat has already done it!

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
Looks like the lower pressure sprocket oil pump mod.
Is the balance shaft oil feed hole plugged?

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
Looks like the lower pressure sprocket oil pump mod.
Is the balance shaft oil feed hole plugged?
I was able to move the tray far enough to confirm that the hole is plugged.

How are you able to tell it's the alh sprocket?

Either way, I'm not concerned about that. ALHs run forever so it must be enough pressure lol

Lotawood

TDI
2005 BHW Passat sedan
I did the higher pressure modification delete kit. Which is a noticeably smaller sprocket on the pump, and a chain that matches.
Pump gets delivered with big sprocket. User has to remove big sprocket and put on small sprocket.
It just spins the pump at a faster rpm.
Every gets to choose their option. I thought with an engine that has cam wear problems, a little more pressure wouldn't hurt.

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
Got the clutch a few days ago, hopefully it works as good as it looks!

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
So to confirm, this would be considered a 228mm flywheel I'm assuming? I've been told the 2.0t has a spacer between itself and the transmission. With this clutch will I be able to remove the spacer when I put the tranny on the BHW to get proper input shaft to pilot bearing fitment? I'm going to have limited time with a hoist so I wanna have all my ducks in a row before I start swapping the engine over.

V70R

TDI
2005 Passat TDI Wagon
Man you’ve made some awesome progress!

here’s my two cents re: SMF and Quattro/02X combo- you will have vibrations down low below 2K RPMs. My B6 has the TTV/B7 RS4 combo and while it’s tolerable with a gas motor, don’t think I could do it with my CR170 swap and the lower shift points and cruising RPMs. New mounts (Corteco B5 S4 are a great OE upgrade for cheap along with a B5 1.8T trans mount) will help decrease this quite a bit.

in for more progress and getting your harness and other goodies this week 👍🏻

Tyler

JDM_dieselwagon

TDI
Finally ready to do the cam and the timing/water pump. My crank gear doesn't seem to have the little arrow for lining it up at TDC like I saw in pictures so I'm not 100% sure yet I have it right, but the cam gear lock pin is in place and the crank lock is fitting on the gear and in the hole in the block all at the same time so I think it might be there. Does anyone have any insight on this?