Anyone know this genius?

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
I urge members to consider donating $10 to the cost of operating this forum. I understand people griping over things they’re passionate about, and others making light of it. But It would be a shame to lose the information about Tdi‘s, and it’s just not feasible to rent an auditorium with a huge table and lots of alcohol. So please, help support the cost of running this website so we all can enjoy some anxiety and comic relief without putting the burden of costs on one party. Is there a link on this site to do that? I’ll put my $10 in right now, it’s definitely worth it

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I urge members to consider donating $10 to the cost of operating this forum. I understand people griping over things they’re passionate about, and others making light of it. But It would be a shame to lose the information about Tdi‘s, and it’s just not feasible to rent an auditorium with a huge table and lots of alcohol. So please, help support the cost of running this website so we all can enjoy some anxiety and comic relief without putting the burden of costs on one party. Is there a link on this site to do that? I’ll put my $10 in right now, it’s definitely worth it
There's a section called
Make a donation to TDIClub

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I urge members to consider donating $10 to the cost of operating this forum.
I'm on several forums, some are heavy with ads unless you buy in, others (SV Rider) I just have PayPal autopay set up to drop $5/year in their account... totally understand, prefer paying small fee rather than get swamped with ads

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Do you know that it's more fun when you stay in your lane?
Do you know that it's even more fun to pretend you're a pro racer (regardless of being on a bicycle\motorcycle, driving a go-kart, soupped up TD1, time attack car, class 8 truck, etc) on an actual racetrack, under controlled conditions and without having to worry about oncoming traffic?

We've all done (and some of us still do) stupid crap, so there's no point in barking about someone who got caught doing it. Those who do blasts on roads like the gap know the risks they are taking. Sure, he shouldn't cross the line.... he probably shouldn't even travel at that speed.... hell, he shouldn't "corner" aggressively with additional weight on his roof.... clearly he's not making the best choices\decisions for anything other that a photo opportunity..... other than that, he sucks at everything. (or she, if it's still what's his face's granny).

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Do you know that it's even more fun to pretend you're a pro racer (regardless of being on a bicycle\motorcycle, driving a go-kart, soupped up TD1, time attack car, class 8 truck, etc) on an actual racetrack, under controlled conditions and without having to worry about oncoming traffic?

We've all done (and some of us still do) stupid crap, so there's no point in barking about someone who got caught doing it. Those who do blasts on roads like the gap know the risks they are taking. Sure, he shouldn't cross the line.... he probably shouldn't even travel at that speed.... hell, he shouldn't "corner" aggressively with additional weight on his roof.... clearly he's not making the best choices\decisions for anything other that a photo opportunity..... other than that, he sucks at everything. (or she, if it's still what's his face's granny).
Can't afford racing cars but I do race motorcycles, have been on and off since the 90's...

As far as stupid ****: speeding, stupid, we all do it, but triple digits with no helmet and flip flops is one for the Darwin awards.
Going fast at the Gap is dangerous, but stay in your lane an no one gets hurt. Crossing double yellow is criminal negligence on that road and often the only thing cops enforce, because they know what causes accidents. I crashed there (too much speed, not enough skill) picked up the bike before anyone saw it and kept riding, but crashing head on is at minimum a ride to the hospital.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Can't afford racing cars .......
Don't think he can either.....

Not sure how you got to that extreme..... I don't believe a lowered TDI with a safari rack (I'm certain there's lower weight GoPro mounts out there :unsure: )
is something I'd label a "race car"..... even if the driver believes he's carving corners super haaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrdddddddddddddd and setting records...... or maybe it's heavily modified and he was indeed laying rubber out of every corner.... who knows. 🤷‍♂️

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
....or granny was passing someone moving slowly on a bicycle and didn’t want to freak them out by getting too close, but freaked them out anyway

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gran's eyesight is not what it used to be.... she needed to get closer to the apex to see exactly where it was.......

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
In her defense, she’s used to a much larger car

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
'91 Jetta, '91 GTI, '04 Touareg
Yes, we need to police the internet and shame/"talk to" people who we perceive as behaving badly. Tsk tsk.

If I was driving a fun curvy road and came up on that curve I may do the same move. Looks like pretty good visibility to cross for a second or two. In the world of risk taking, this seems pretty low risk to get bent out of shape about.
This 100%.

I see nothing but cancel culture brewing up in here as well now that the internet allows some spec of "power" vested upon even the most average of mindsets. I have done that move countless times, obviously given the indication it was safe to do so and I was not harming anyone or oncoming traffic or animals...

Being anal about this type of nonsense is deemed overrated by myself and it's not like the trees are complaining about it. And they live there.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you know that it's more fun when you stay in your lane? Why? because it makes the curve tighter, if you want to straighten that corner might as well just go straight... get on a highway! There is absolutely no reason to cut this corner because you are not competing and saving milliseconds could kill someone. You may be able to react and get back in your lane but a novice motorcycle rider heading the other way will panic and go sailing off the cliff, meanwhile you are long gone and don't even care that you might have just killed someone...

I know that corner, it's called Shade Tree (I think) long left going in to a blind right, one moment it's clear and you gat a motorcycle on your hood the next, trust me, it happens quick, few seconds between the time you see someone and hit them, often not enough to react. People who THINK they see an open corner usually the ones causing accidents.
Dude calm down. I'm sure he did not pull that same move into the next blind right and maybe that is not his first time on the tail.

BryanQirton

TDI
BMW m4
Oh, this road is very dangerous. Whoever is driving through it, be careful!!!

Last edited:

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Dude calm down. I'm sure he did not pull that same move into the next blind right and maybe that is not his first time on the tail.
Do you like to play Russian Roulette? With someone else's life?
All I see is a lame excuses and buzzwords, you just had to throw in come "cancel culture" LOL, do me a favor and cancel your trip to anywhere I'm gonna go ;)
ktnanxbye!

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
I met that guy when I was riding my Vulcan on Route 66 going east over Sitgreaves Pass from Oatman to Kingman several years ago. I came around a blind corner and there he was in his red Jetta coming right at me. Fortunately, he got right back into his lane as I got well to the right. Some things you never forget.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
I met a cruiser once head on in my lane going towards overlook after a picnic corner... both of us needed new shorts and his ol' lady needed defibrillator.

Problem with all those morons who think it's OK to cut when "the corner is clear" is that they don't understand that closing speeds are a lot higher than their small brains can comprehend, like a squirrel they think they are fast enough to get out of the way... We know how well that works for furry rodents...

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
Seems like a lot of outrage coming from a dude who dumped his own bike on the tail. Nothing to see here.... move along.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Seems like a lot of outrage coming from a dude who dumped his own bike on the tail. Nothing to see here.... move along.
If you don't crash means you not trying hard enough, at least I own my mistakes, unlike the peanut gallery here who think Darwin is an angel on their shoulder ;)

You don't even own a TDI anymore, policing F250 forums got boring?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You don't even own a TDI anymore, policing F250 forums got boring?
Lol, I never frequented the truck forums much. Check out pirate4x4 sometime. Your safety concerns would be quite amusing to those guys. Slightly creepy that you presume to know what vehicles I own. I still own a VW diesel, fwiw.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't believe everything you see on the internet. This looks like a snowflake issue to me. It's a-ok for you to lose control on a certain public roadway, but when some other guy crosses double yellows (with no contextual info) on the same roadway, it's suddenly an international incident. It's been a long year bud- get yourself a nice cold beverage, and chill.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
Don't believe everything you see on the internet. This looks like a snowflake issue to me. It's a-ok for you to lose control on a certain public roadway, but when some other guy crosses double yellows (with no contextual info) on the same roadway, it's suddenly an international incident. It's been a long year bud- get yourself a nice cold beverage, and chill.
I'm not saying it's OK to loose control and crash, but making a point that when I screw up I own it. This was probably only time I crashed on public road as a result or my own mistakes, and it wasn't just speed, number of reasons why I went down.
My last accident, about 6 month ago, was a drunk driver hit and run, I was on a motorcycle, full stop waiting to turn left, he crossed a double yellow and hit me head on, so I do have a special kinda hate for those who routinely do it because they can't keep the car in the lane or just plain stupid.

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Do you like to play Russian Roulette? With someone else's life?
All I see is a lame excuses and buzzwords, you just had to throw in come "cancel culture" LOL, do me a favor and cancel your trip to anywhere I'm gonna go ;)
ktnanxbye!
This is ridiculous.. How do you drop your bike on the same road and then make a thread about someone crossing the double yellow safely with no one in plain sight... anyone telling you they have never crossed a double yellow in their years of driving is lying.

Thank God I was not there at that very moment driving my touareg (with extra tall wrangler tires) when you ate asphalt. Because I am the type that would tail the dragon while looking down at my phone.

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
This is ridiculous.. How do you drop your bike on the same road and then make a thread about someone crossing the double yellow safely with no one in plain sight...
Dropping the bike is an accident, crossing the yellow is intentional stupidity, doing it almost anywhere on the Dragon is just not safe. if you argue that is is safe you have no concept of closing speed, even at speed limit it's close to 100 feet per second, in that corner you got maybe 150-200 line of sight at best, obviously he is not doing the limit if he has to cut the corner that tight, someone coming the other way could be going even vaster, so you got one second (2 at best) from the moment you see the oncoming vehicle to the moment of impact... tell me again, how save it that move?

Poor King

Veteran Member
TDI
Dropping the bike is an accident, crossing the yellow is intentional stupidity, doing it almost anywhere on the Dragon is just not safe. if you argue that is is safe you have no concept of closing speed, even at speed limit it's close to 100 feet per second, in that corner you got maybe 150-200 line of sight at best, obviously he is not doing the limit if he has to cut the corner that tight, someone coming the other way could be going even vaster, so you got one second (2 at best) from the moment you see the oncoming vehicle to the moment of impact... tell me again, how save it that move?
You cannot be a car enthusiast and then complain about enthusiastic driving, which is what everyone does on the tail. If you do not like the way he is driving then I suggest you do not go on that particular road for your own safety. People are out there to push it whether it's in a tdi, lambo, or a two wheeler in disregard to their safety and others. It's like the Japanese crying about drifters which is never.

Gone are the days of glory such as rally enthusiasts taunting their favourite driver for a glimpse of the spectacle. You would never find that generation of people on a forum talking about how they almost died on the tail bro, or a scenario where one could have... better goes on the internet and do something about it. That's cancel culture and your attitude is knee deep in it.

Last edited:

MATPOC

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon 5-speed
You cannot be a car enthusiast and then complain about enthusiastic driving, which is what everyone does on the tail. If you do not like the way he is driving then I suggest you do not go on that particular road for your own safety. People are out there to push it whether it's in a tdi, lambo, or a two wheeler in disregard to their safety and others. It's like the Japanese crying about drifters which is never.

Gone are the days of glory such as rally enthusiasts taunting their favourite driver for a glimpse of the spectacle. You would never find that generation of people on a forum talking about how they almost died on the tail bro, or a scenario where one could have... better goes on the internet and do something about it. That's cancel culture and your attitude is knee deep in it.
Dude, *** are you rambling about? Enthusiastic driving is going fast while STAYING IN YOUR OWN LANE, cause it takes skill to control your car or bike and not cut corners (cheat)
I've never driven a fast car on the Gap, only bikes or my truck/van, whatever I'm towing with, but I've gotten rides with locals, and I can tell you that fast guys never cross either line, white or yellow. That's whole point of this exercise, keeping it between mustard and mayo ;)
As far as glory days, I've seen more $hit than you can imagine, done things you can only dream of, and somehow survived, perhaps because while pushing limits I followed certain rules...
I'm not gonna waste time telling you my life story, but I can tell you that I've met legends from all different sports and watched them in action, rally, F1, MotoGP... let's just say racing runs in the family;)