Unofficial MK7 Oil Change Guide

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
Thanks. I learned of the SX version later on another thread and have ordered that.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
did the 30K change on the passat wednesday night, I gotta say I think the Passat has way more room by the filter than the Golf, it wasn't that bad except some splashing when dumping the oil filter housing plug.

I did seem to misplace my T25 socket, I used it to take the belly pan off, when I went to replace it could not for the life of me find the socket, I've searched all over the garage and boom utterly disappeared, I feel so defeated.

Iridebikesalot

TDI
2015 Sportwagen TDI
Jason,

You rock. I managed to get everything done start to finish in 42 min :)

Would've been a much bigger headache without your amazing tutorial. Thanks so much!

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
What is the point for putting insulation on the oil pan? Engine noise?

nokivasara

Veteran Member
TDI
Tiguan 4-motion, Golf mk7
Hold trip while turning on ignition for oil.

Service might need vcds?

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
Just did my first oil change on our "new to us" Golf and the service indicator reset procedure in the owners manual is missing a step. Like you say, hold trip, turn ign on, then the oil change/inspection service appears. The manual doesn't say that the trip reset button is to be released when the ignition is turned on and pressed again when the service you want to reset turns up on the MFD. It says something about pressing OK on the steering wheel but that didn't do anything.
I failed to reset the bloody message until I googled it and found out about pressing the trip again to reset. I seem to recall that the A4 Golfs also had a step in the reset procedure that wasn't clear in the owners manual.
Other than that the oil change went well :)

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
I don't know if you guys have seen this tool from ID Parts but its GENIUS and works great!

davidlp

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf Sportwagen 2015 Blue Silk
I don't know if you guys have seen this tool from ID Parts but its GENIUS and works great!

Yep, have one. It certainly helps cut the mess, but is still a messy filter to deal with. Love my older VWs for oil changes. If it wasn't for that stupid design my changes would be so much faster and neater.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Yep, have one. It certainly helps cut the mess, but is still a messy filter to deal with. Love my older VWs for oil changes. If it wasn't for that stupid design my changes would be so much faster and neater.
i have a few old ones and couple new I work on, that tool was the cleanest change I've done in quite awhile. I couldn't believe it, not a single drop NOT where it should have been. Not on the EGR cooler pipe (MK6) and not on my face or down my flipping arm (traditional MK7). Ha ha ha

SuburbanTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle TDI, and two Jetta TDI
I lined the area from around the filter canister down with a plastic grocery bag - and then just worked inside of the surrounding 'tube' of plastic.

What little mess there was is easily contained by the plastic and tossed. It also had the added benefit of allowing me to replace the filter and cap without worrying about picking up stray contaminants on the way back up.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
work quick, those grocery bags dissolve in warm used motor oil, but that is a good idea.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
FYI - I just bought oil (Pentosin Super performance III 507.00) and was looking on line for a Hengst filter 03N115562B. I wanted Hengst because I have read they are more stout and don't collapse like some of the other filters. (I haven't had an issue, but many are having issues with collapsed filters). After a bunch of searching, I found my local Dealer had the filter for lowest price: $9.81 and upon inspection it is indeed a Hengst, made in Germany, with VW logo and OEM part numbers.

franklinstower

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 gsw 6mt wagon
great price @ ID Parts! If i need a big order from them I will order a few! However at this point with shipping taking 10 days across the country and the shipping costs going up, I have been more inclined to shop locally.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
great price @ ID Parts! If i need a big order from them I will order a few! However at this point with shipping taking 10 days across the country and the shipping costs going up, I have been more inclined to shop locally.
ID Parts is forum supporter (and post frequently too) AND have great products and pricing all the time. I think the whole "collapsing" filters isn't really a "problem" just something that many of us see all the time and that has no bearing one way or the other on how our car lubrication systems work. We are, because we're TDI'ers, in tune more and pay more attention seems like, to our cars so we notice more things.

TriviaSteve

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 550K miles, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI S, 100K miles and a 65 beetle
507 oil is getting harder and harder to find, and getting very expensive, too. My supplier for filters put an order in in October and just the other day got a call to tell them "it's processing now." No indication as to when they will be delivered.

I got an extra oil change kit from ID parts two weeks ago. Cost me $54 and change plus shipping. Still at that price now. You may want to order some now before the inevitable price increase.

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
When I get down to the filter and unplug the run after wire, I like to loosen, move, and tie up the coolant hose and wire harness traveling right there in the way. This way you can let the filter housing drain without getting all over the place. I have the ID Parts drain adapter, but working from the ground I found tying them (using like rigid wire with a twist) to the fan shroud, out of the way was easier than the tool.-- Just have to remember to put them back

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I've tried at least five different times to make use of the idparts.com filter drain adapter, and each time, it just results in oil all over the floor.
I thought I had it figured out this last time by having the drain tube going straight into an empty 5L jug. I cracked the drain port with a wrench, then put the tool on it and turned....resulting in the plastic drain tube working its way out of the jug.

Got that settled down with minimal spillage. But then, as I continued to turn and the filter housing drain plug came loose, a slow trickle came out because (I'm guessing) that drain plug blocked the flow of oil into the drain tube. And so then pulled the tool down just a bit to give it some room to "breathe" and yep - oil gushed over the top of it.

Should've sent the "tool" back the first time I ended up with oil all over the place.
Giving up the $.10 deposit on a 1L Coke bottle with the bottom cut off does the job a lot better (cleaner and easier).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
507 oil is getting harder and harder to find, and getting very expensive, too. My supplier for filters put an order in in October and just the other day got a call to tell them "it's processing now." No indication as to when they will be delivered.

I got an extra oil change kit from ID parts two weeks ago. Cost me $54 and change plus shipping. Still at that price now. You may want to order some now before the inevitable price increase.
Autozone carries M1 ESP in 5qrt jugs for around $34, ship to store and pick up or ship to home, still need 6qts and a filter so prices are still pretty reasonable.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Canadian Tire has had that same Mobil1 5w30 (504/507.00) 5-quart jug on sale for $34CAD at least twice in the last few months.

s_ribs

TDI
2015 Golf S
Autozone carries M1 ESP in 5qrt jugs for around $34, ship to store and pick up or ship to home, still need 6qts and a filter so prices are still pretty reasonable.
Glad you posted this because I couldn't find vw 507 approved oil (in stock) locally 3 years ago outside of the dealership. Now I am seeing Mobil 1 ESP in stock and that's a great price from autozone. I used ROWE for my last two changes but I might give ESP a try next change.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
Since we are on the topic of oil analyses and related subjects: Is there such an upgrade for Mk7's for a larger capacity crankcase? I mean, 5.5-6 liters for a 2.0 is pretty good but I've always felt that more is better. Short of an auxiliary oil tank.

tdiDerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta MkV Sedan; 2002 Jetta MkIV Sedan; 1999 Jetta MkIV Sedan
When I get down to the filter and unplug the run after wire, I like to loosen, move, and tie up the coolant hose and wire harness traveling right there in the way. This way you can let the filter housing drain without getting all over the place. I have the ID Parts drain adapter, but working from the ground I found tying them (using like rigid wire with a twist) to the fan shroud, out of the way was easier than the tool.-- Just have to remember to put them back
Here is an image of this from my last oil change..

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Thought an update might be in order, AutoZone has the oil change bundle and you can get 5qt of the new Mobil ESP X3 0w-40 + STP filter element for $39. Killer deal :)

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Are we sure that 0w40 is appropriate for the CRUA engine?
I thought 504.00/507.00 spec is by definition 0w30 or 5w30.

Looks like this oil is VW spec 511.00 - aimed at gas engines with GPF (think DPF, but G for gas). Can't see anywhere in the spec sheet that it's rated for handling the soot of a diesel.
(With the massive caveat that I'm the furthest thing from an oil expert).

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
It also has a MB 229.51 approval which is more or less equivalent to 507/ good for modern diesels. Also some ACEA diesel specs. Should be fine. I ran a Mobil 1 esp 5w40 w MB 229.51 in my commonrail for awhile and nothing vaporized.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Are we sure that 0w40 is appropriate for the CRUA engine?
I thought 504.00/507.00 spec is by definition 0w30 or 5w30.

Looks like this oil is VW spec 511.00 - aimed at gas engines with GPF (think DPF, but G for gas). Can't see anywhere in the spec sheet that it's rated for handling the soot of a diesel.
(With the massive caveat that I'm the furthest thing from an oil expert).
It also has a MB 229.51 approval which is more or less equivalent to 507/ good for modern diesels. Also some ACEA diesel specs. Should be fine. I ran a Mobil 1 esp 5w40 w MB 229.51 in my commonrail for awhile and nothing vaporized.
I kind of forgot I was in the MK7 forum posting but not that it matters, I'm running this in my CJAA but given its low-saps, and ACEA C3 spec, I wouldn't hesitate, especially in my CJAA but even in my MK7, to run it. The AutoZone bundle is a perk! :)

*I did a bit of sleuthing on Bob's before pulling the trigger.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I kind of forgot I was in the MK7 forum posting but not that it matters, I'm running this in my CJAA but given its low-saps, and ACEA C3 spec, I wouldn't hesitate, especially in my CJAA but even in my MK7, to run it. The AutoZone bundle is a perk! :)

*I did a bit of sleuthing on Bob's before pulling the trigger.
Right on. The more reading I've done on BITOG, the less ocd I've become about oils, lol. I just did a change in my 2.5l VW the other day using 3.5 qts QS 0w20 synthetic, 1.5 qts. Mobil delvac 15w40 synthetic, and 1.5 qts Mobil1 15w50. I figure that blend approximates a heavy 5w30 or 10w30. Just happened to have those jugs in the shed, not trying to be a boutique oil blender.

Edit- I think AutoZone is running that same deal on 5qt jugs of M1 esp 5w30- which does carry the 507 spec. Can't go wrong either way, imo.

Last edited:

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
Right on. The more reading I've done on BITOG, the less ocd I've become about oils, lol. I just did a change in my 2.5l VW the other day using 3.5 qts QS 0w20 synthetic, 1.5 qts. Mobil delvac 15w40 synthetic, and 1.5 qts Mobil1 15w50. I figure that blend approximates a heavy 5w30 or 10w30. Just happened to have those jugs in the shed, not trying to be a boutique oil blender.

Edit- I think AutoZone is running that same deal on 5qt jugs of M1 esp 5w30- which does carry the 507 spec. Can't go wrong either way, imo.
It's SUPER funny you said that because I'm damn near to the point now that I'm questioning why I spent money on UOA's over all these years for just the same reason, BITOG!! Just when I thought I know what and why I was doing it... :LOL:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I ran the older M1 ESP 5W40 in the old CJAA jetta as it was local and cheap, i'd have no problem running that in the 2015 Passat.

on these synthetics, i think there is minimal difference between 0W30 and 0W40 maybe a slight ding to MPG.

I have about one OCI left of old M1 5W30 hord, time to stock up for another 3-4 OCI, honestly not sure if i should stock up more than that as I'm wondering if the wife will want to move on to something newer.