OEM sealant for oil pan

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
2015 Passat 6mt (35K miles) has developed a leak at the oil pan flange (verified to not be leaking from higher up like cam / crank seal or valve cover. Looks to be a straight forward job but wondering what the recommended sealant is for this job? Learned from the 7.3 powerstroke forum that the sealant type is critical for pan sealing on those and they even recommend removing the engine and inverting for proper sealant and oil pan installation! Hopefully that is not necessary here. Oil leak is small but over time soaks the plastic foam filled pan "skid plate" and eventually even drips from the lower cover.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....

I would be surprised if that is actually your leak, though. Usually the machine fit surfaces that use that type of sealant do not leak. Have you removed the oil pan plastic cover and inspected it after running? The drain plug or oil level sensor would be more likely to leak.

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M

I would be surprised if that is actually your leak, though. Usually the machine fit surfaces that use that type of sealant do not leak. Have you removed the oil pan plastic cover and inspected it after running? The drain plug or oil level sensor would be more likely to leak.
Yes I've removed the plastic cover, cleaned the perimeter of the pan flange with brake cleaner, driven a few miles and then put up on lift. A few fresh drops showed up on the flange on the rear left side. It is the flange seal. The drain plug is new with every oil change and it's not the oil level sensor.

And thanks for the link. Looks like a project for this weekend ;-)

3fordasho

TDI
15 Passat 6M
Completed this job over the weekend. Pan was really glued on with the factory applied sealant and like oilhammer I'm surprised it was leaking at the seam but a reseal job seems to have cured the leak. Took lots of time cleaning the old sealant off and making sure there was no oil contamination on the sealing surfaces. Let the new sealant cure overnight before refilling with oil. Now leak free like a 2015 with only 35K miles should be.