Passat B8 2016 2.0 BiTDI 240HP 4motion --> 16" rims possible?

Moggy1

TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
Hi all, anyone knows if a 16 inch rims will fit my Passat 2016 BiTDI ?
On all other Passat B8 type cars, 16/17/18/19 are factory listed.
Not so for the BiTDI.... Only 17-18-19 inch rims listed.
It might have something to do with the bigger disk brakes and it being 4x4 drivetrain?

In case anyone asks; I want to use them with high wall AT/HT tyres for off road driving.

Thanks in advance!
Peter

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
Love to see some pictures when your set

Moggy1

TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
Love to see some pictures when your set
sure, why not, but nothing special to be seen
i want the tires a bit bigger; something like 215/75-16 ,bit of a Jekill/Hyde monster

PS that is an immensely cute VW pickup you have there!!

Last edited:

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Check the gap between whatever rims you have now and the caliper. Look like room for a smaller rim?

Moggy1

TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
Check the gap between whatever rims you have now and the caliper. Look like room for a smaller rim?
Hi, can't do; don't have the car yet... in 10 days time... In the mean time; I wanted to look for 16" rims - if they fit...

thundershorts

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 passat tdi sel premium 2015 golf s tdi gls tdi b5.5, 2002 eurovan,Peugeot 505 td,Citroen cx25 prestige
Assuming 16's would fit, I would think the whole feel of driving the b8 would change in a negative way.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Didn’t realize you were in Belgium, no B8’s around here. Judging by the size of the front caliper on our US made B7 only barely allowing room between the rim and caliper for my 16 inch Audi rim, if you say your B8 has larger than normal calipers, I’d say it’s a safe bet a 16 inch rim is not going to work. Maybe check images on google, you may find some with a caliper visible that shows the gap.

Moggy1

TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
Assuming 16's would fit, I would think the whole feel of driving the b8 would change in a negative way.
It might change. What exactly is "negative"? Anyway, the 16" are meant for off roading where ground clearance and damping (higher tires) are more important than 200km/h cornering on a road/racetrack...

Moggy1

TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
Didn’t realize you were in Belgium, no B8’s around here. Judging by the size of the front caliper on our US made B7 only barely allowing room between the rim and caliper for my 16 inch Audi rim, if you say your B8 has larger than normal calipers, I’d say it’s a safe bet a 16 inch rim is not going to work. Maybe check images on google, you may find some with a caliper visible that shows the gap.
It's tricky; a Passat B8 with 190HP engine can be factory ordered with 16" rims. My 240HP can not; (only 17",18",19")
I'll let everyone know once I have the car and borrow some 16" rims...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
look up what rotors you have, if they are 312mm, most 16" should fit. if you have larger rotors of say the Golf R 340mm, then most 17" will work.

The extra sidewall always wins for ride comfort over looks and increased cost of rubber bands.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tdi club has a picture hoasting site, check out the header banner, it's a seporate login but same account/PW.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you gotta post an embeded link in the thread, then we'll be able to see them.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
We have one now A6 Avant, just out of price range of what a normal person wants to spend when they can get a Cross over Tiguan/Atlas.

A proper Euro B7/8 Passat Wagon wouldn't be priced much different than an A6 with a long roof.

Moggy1

TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
A proper Euro B7/8 Passat Wagon wouldn't be priced much different than an A6 with a long roof.
in Europe in general, a Passat with these specs is around the price of a Audi A4 wagon -mind; without the 4x4...!
A6 is comparable to the Passat but a lot more expensive

price/value/resale/incredible inside space,... I believe the Passat is kind of unbeatable :love: -just my idea

pedroYUL

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat CVCA; 2015 GSW CRUA; 2012 wagon CJAA; 2004 wagon BEW
me, looking at those pics 🤤

Hey @Cuzoe , come have a look at those pics, brah

...so, Peter, your car has two sequential turbos if I recall correctly from something I read a long time ago. Do you know if it is a one larger unit, or two turbos truly sequential?

Also read that your engine should have a 2nd DEF injection further down the exhaust, does your car drink a lot of DEF?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NOx standards were a lot lower in the EU than US so I can't image it'd drink it any more than a US DEF system. If you're towing a 3,000kg camper i'm sure you'll notice it a little bit.

Remember Mk7 golfs TDI didnt have DEF systems.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI

in Europe in general, a Passat with these specs is around the price of a Audi A4 wagon -mind; without the 4x4...!
A6 is comparable to the Passat but a lot more expensive

price/value/resale/incredible inside space,... I believe the Passat is kind of unbeatable :love: -just my idea

Yeah but comparing a US spec A6 to a Euro A6, prices in euroland are higher. The contenting across the pond isn't a 1 to 1 conversion factor.

scrambld

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Jetta...TDI/5spd :) >>>now a '15 Passat TDI/DSG
Appears to wear an R32/Passat 4-MO caliper (most likely with a 345mm rotor), so most likely looking at a 17" minimum.

Moggy1

TDI
Passat B8 BiTDI
me, looking at those pics 🤤
Hey @Cuzoe , come have a look at those pics, brah
...so, Peter, your car has two sequential turbos if I recall correctly from something I read a long time ago. Do you know if it is a one larger unit, or two turbos truly sequential?
Also read that your engine should have a 2nd DEF injection further down the exhaust, does your car drink a lot of DEF?
Basically there is a low and a high pressure turbo in parallel, with 3 valves in between them and the exhaust/intake.
check here;
http://users.telenet.be/veerle_haai/08_A2.2_Eichler_VW_bitdi_2.0.pdf (a very nice explanatory PDF)
and here;

What I find amazing too is the intercooler; compressed air to water intercooler with a capacity of 40.000 WATT !!!
What I'm less happy about, is the SCR and other recycle/cleaning add-ons for the engine. It makes the engine +/-10% more expensive and more prone to failure. I'm sure ripping these things out would give the engine another 10% maybe 15% more power - for free...
Some chiptuning from any tuning shop should be able to get me to 300HP and 600Nm, now these are nice figures for a 2.0 diesel car that uses 5l/100km to 9l/100km (47mpg US to 26mpg US) depending on driving attitude... (driving a constant speed on the German highway @160km/h it uses 6.5l/100km or 36mpg US; not bad...)
yeah,yeah, SUV's look more macho and you sit a bit higher but they are also less economical to drive (sheer wind resistance). This Passat has some kind of 4x4 (Haldex) and I have 1800 liter or 475 US gallon of loading capacity in the back...
I'm happy :)

DEF consumption seems pretty standard, like any other 2.0 diesel variants.

Last edited: