DSG Shift Mechanism Broken... HELP

jhammer5150

TDI
06 jetta tdi, 13 passat tdi
Yesterday, I was driving down the road 30mph or so, with the transmission in manual mode. I reached down and slapped the shifter back over to D, heard a plastic sounding "snap", next thing I see is the PRNDS starts flashing on the dash. I pulled over, parked, no change, so I turned the car off for a minute. Now it won't start! The car doesn't seem to recognize what gear it is in, or neutral safety switch has it disabled... I'm positive that some small plastic clip has broken inside the selector, but I can't find anything online about this. All I can find is a complete assembly for $500-$900 (1K1713041).I have started tearing into it, and I found the little yellow piece of plastic that broke off, along with a piece of black plastic that has broken off from somewhere as well. Is there any way to remove the mechanism or disassemble it from the topside, or do I have to get underneath and remove the heat shield to get at it?
2006 Jetta TDI
Thanks for any help

jhammer5150

TDI
Found out that you cannot repair the gear shifter module (or whatever you call it), you must order a whole new one. AND you must remove it from the bottom of the car... FYI, just in case this ever happens to anyone else...

jhammer5150

TDI
Ok, so I swapped out the shifter for one out of a junk car. Car starts up just fine, but dashboard lights up like christmas and won't let me shift out of park. I'm sure this is some kind of security lockout... If there is anyone out there that has insight, I'm all ears...

jhammer5150

TDI
With VCDS, should I just clear all transmission codes to reset everything, or is there a specific method to reprogramming with the new shifter?? Please Help!!!

jhammer5150

TDI
Yes. Everything is lit up on the dash. Stepping on the brake does nothing. I am at a loss. I feel like clearing all codes, but I'm afraid that may make things worse.

jhammer5150

TDI
Seems simple enough... Not sure how I may have missed that, but I'll recheck...
Meanwhile, when VCDS is hooked up, I click on the "gateway" box, and every module shows up in red. Is my ECU fried??

jhammer5150

TDI
Linkage is connected. Seems as though this is an interlock/ECU communication issue... I'm completely lost here.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
The mechanical cable to the transmission only engages/disengages the parking pawl if I remember correctly. Any gear changes and other functions are done electrically through the round plug on the mechatronic. Excepting the ignition key cable function....but you know about that.

jhammer5150

TDI
Excepting the ignition key cable function....but you know about that.
Please explain what you mean by that... I'm not sure i know exactly what you are referring to...
I was thinking that the battery in the key may have been getting weak as of late, and had a notion that this may be one problem...

jhammer5150

TDI
Well, the engine definitely starts. The problem seems to be communication between the ECU and the transmission... I wish there was a RESET button...😖😖😖 Do I dare try clearing all the codes with VCDS??

JETaah

TDI
Please explain what you mean by that... I'm not sure i know exactly what you are referring to...
I was thinking that the battery in the key may have been getting weak as of late, and had a notion that this may be one problem...
Forgive me if this applies to a different earlier model.
It's been a while since I poked around in the gear shift/ignition key stuff on a MKV here but I'm pretty sure that there is a mechanical tie (cable?) that prevents you from extracting the key from the ignition unless the shifter is in the 'PARK' position. I would think that if you've replaced the shifter assembly that you would have run into it. It is separate from the cable that runs to the transmission to engage the 'PARK' pawl.

jhammer5150

TDI
Apparently, the newer models don't have the cable that you are referring to... only one cable on this one, and that's the one to the trans/ parking pawl... At this point, I think I need help with the VCDS... I'm afraid to clear the codes in case there may be pertinent info/ specific codes I need to look for before doing so. Anyone??

jhammer5150

TDI
So I bit the bullet and tried clearing all the codes to no avail. Car still starts fine and revs, but dash is still all lit up, and I can't shift it out of park... I've even gone as far as clearing codes module by module... AAAARRRRGGGGHHHH!!!!

Will27

TDI
'06 Golf TDI, '08 Caddy TDI, '13 Passat Alltrack
When you say won't let you shift out of park, do you mean the selector lever doesn't move or that it does move but has no effect?

And the fault codes are??? In VCDS do an autoscan, then hit the copy button to the left of the scan result. Then while writing your reply, click insert > code, paste the results of the autoscan into the popup window. Then the scan results will be displayed:
Code:
like this
and be easier to read.

jhammer5150

TDI
When you say won't let you shift out of park, do you mean the selector lever doesn't move or that it does move but has no effect?
Gear shifter is locked. Press on the brake, and still won't move. When I override it by depressing the yellow clip on the front of the selector, I can move it, but no gears work... I'll try to post scan results... I'm not much of a computer guy, so...
Did you check for any fuses blown??
Also, checked all fuses, and everything looks good there.

JETaah

TDI
When you step on the brake can you hear the faint click of a solenoid near the shifter? I just tried that on a MK6 w/ DSG and you really have to listen for it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I'm guessing you've already covered this, but just in case...
In addition to the shifting electronics, the DSG shifter also has that mechanical "button" on the front edge the you have to depress to get in/out of "R" in either direction, right? Is that physically connected to whatever it needs to be physically connected to?

Try some DeOxit D5 electrical contact cleaner on the electronic connectors (?).

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I had a similar Problem on another car, There is supposed to be a switch that senses when the Brake has been pushed to release Park and go into gear.
This switch was bad on the Brake peddle.

jhammer5150

TDI
Now that you mention it, the little green"remember to step on the brake" light never goes out when I step on the brake, but it still seems like the ecu is not communicating with the trans... FRUSTRATING😖😖

Doright

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI
I would check the switch and wiring

I wasnt able to service My New AC Compressor and system because of an Out side temp sensor! $8 part VCDS called for a $340 controller.