New to TDIClub? Introduce yourself here!

Decreppo

TDI
2006 Jetta 1.9L
New owner of a 2003 Jetta TDI 5 sp wagon. New forum member.
Few days ago started seeing the Instrument Cluster intermittently die then come back. Then the whole car died. Batter at 2.94V, replaced 6 yr old battery. Now things back to normal until I get to about 1000 RPM and the IC dies again. Running with traffic about 50 MPH and put in neutral and let RPM's drop and cluster comes alive Tach says 900 RPM on engine 42 MPH on Speedo - till I let out the clutch and RPMs go over 1000 and it dies again.

I've wandered around here for the past week or so, but haven't seen anything like this. If I say "Pretty Please" can someone point me in the right direction?
Hope you find a solution. Out of curiosity did you buy your tdi in York, PA? I was looking at one up there similar to what you described.

cwerho

TDI
2005 B5.5, 2001 JETTA TDI, 88 RANGER ALH TDI
Hello all. I'm a long time lurker and first time poster. I have used the forums for a long while. I'm not new to VW tdi's or diesels for that matter. I have had a couple MK4 tdis, currently have a B5.5 passat and a daily driven tdi powered 88 ford ranger. Just want to say hello and thanks for all the great info.

Marc Bourget

TDI
2003 Jetta
Hope you find a solution. Out of curiosity did you buy your tdi in York, PA? I was looking at one up there similar to what you described.

I have an explanation, but not a solution at this time. Tracking my alternator from fcp euro has been interesting. Ordered about beginning of Feb and when I did a track to see ETA, I got a message from FedEX that it was delivered on January 12th !!!! I've checked every so often and notice that it started in IN, then to NY, then to 3 different facilities in CT and now (apparently) on it's way to California.

Oh where, oh where can my alternator be on its way from Great Lakes, to Sea to shining Sea ????

Red_October

TDI
2015 Passat, 2014 Jetta
Hi there. I'm on my 3rd TDI. first 14' Jetta TDI was bought back through Dieselgate. the car i replaced it with was a '15 Passat. I put 60K miles on it until this Tuesday when it was totaled in a car wreck. Just picked up another 15' Passat TDI to replace it. Looking foward to hanging out here. i do as much work as I can on my own. DSG filter & fluid changes, (I have the vag com software & cable), oil, the works.

Question, do all TDI's have DSG transmissions?

brett313

TDI
1.9 ALH Swapped Jeep TJ
Hey all, I'm Brett from AZ.
Bought a blown auto trans, 2002 golf with an ALH a year ago and im currently fairly deep into swapping it into my '97 wrangler.

Hoping to use you all as a resource and maybe make a build log of things I'm working on.

Thanks!

JettaJeff72

TDI
2012 JSW TDI DSG
Hi all. I am returning to the VW world tomorrow when I pick up a tornado red 2012 JSW with DSG. From looking up the VIN, the repair was never done by VW. The engine just had the engine, turbo, and fuel pump replaced after someone put gas in the car. I am getting it with a 4 year unlimited mileage warranty from the used car dealership, that covers everything but turbo, brake pads, and rotors.

My previous VW's included a 1973 Super Beetle, 1982 Rabbit, 1986 Gold, 1987 Jetta, and a 1997 Jetta. It has been 16 1/2 years since I have owned a VW.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Hey all, I'm Brett from AZ.
Bought a blown auto trans, 2002 golf with an ALH a year ago and im currently fairly deep into swapping it into my '97 wrangler.

Hoping to use you all as a resource and maybe make a build log of things I'm working on.

Thanks!
Nice. Feel free to post that in the "conversions" forum.

TimothyClark

TDI
2010 Golf TDI
New to the forum, I just bought a 2010 Golf TDI 2 door with 168k on the clock, it definitely needs some love. I am going to call VW for service records (crossing my fingers). VCDS will be here on Friday and I can start to address some of the issues it's having. looking forward to getting it back to 100 percent!

C_Hess

TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
New to the forum. I had a guy come up to me that also owns VW TDI's and saw my car in the parking lot and told me to check this place out! I currently have a 2012 Jetta TDI Sedan with about 162k. Bought it a little over 2 years ago with 127k on it and have loved every mile of it so far. Ive heard the half a million miles stories and would love to keep this one running so here I am to learn how to get there!

Sliks

TDI
Golf 1.6 CR Tdi
Hi guys from the UK here. Owned and maintained my vw for a few years now. Hoping I can help out and learn new things myself.

kyle260vhs

TDI
2012 VW Jetta 2.0 CJAA DSG
Hey everyone. I have a 2012 tdi 2.0CR with 211,000 miles now. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with these higher mileage 2.0 CRs with any suggestions on preventative maintenance or common failures. Ive had no major problems with this car and have owned it since brand new always changing the oil every 5k miles. Just switched to using Liqui Moly 4200 oil recently. Ive replaced a few things on it like the throttle body, dmf, and had the whole emissions system replaced when the emissions scandal happened. Im just curious what to start to look out for. I plan on driving this car into the ground because its been great. Recently it just threw a code for P0401. When I replaced the throttle body I took off the egr valve and did a quick cleaning of it but am assuming thats its starting to actually go bad now. Any help or suggestions would be great, I want this car to go to 300k+ and keep it until Uncle Sam says its illegal. SIDE NOTE: this car is completely stock. No egr/dpf deletes or tunes. Im thinking about deleting it soon but don’t want to justify spending $2,500 on it just yet.
Thanks guys.

Tdi_greenhorn

TDI
2003 1.9 tdi ALH x2(kinda)
Just about to start a swap on my daily 5spd 2003 ALH. Swapping from a written off parts car that had its rear ceiling smashed in from a beam falling on it. The newer engine has about 160k on it, had two owners. It's an automatic, and completely stock.
The daily it's going into has had gas run through it, so I've decided to replace it with the newer engine from the parts car, and then rebuild the damaged engine into something of beauty to put into a 1/4 truck of some sort, some day.
So I'm curious what to be doing to this engine and the car before I install it into the daily Jetta. I am on a budget and need to be frugal, but I'd rather go broke building it right, than cheap out and regret it. I won't be doing any suspension or brakes, just looking for info on what I need to make sure is done before it goes back in, hopefully for a long long time. I've got a general parts list, but i know there's wise people on here that could put me on the right track to some threads with good info.
I want the car to be the perfect daily. Lots of torque for fun, reliable, and handle well, and plan on a stage 1 tune from Malone, and for a higher idle, glow plug timing for winter starts, (and potentially something to do with the EGR not being completely involved in the system after the car is warmed up??) anyways, lots of reading to do. I live in Canada BC too, so reliable parts suplliers would be appreciated too. Thanks.

Engine mounts
Timing belt Water pump/Bearing kit
Head gasket kit/engine gasket kit
Engine oil
Oil filter
Fuel filters
Injector o-rings
Turbo ball bearing kit/compressor wheel
All vacuum lines and hoses will be replaced as need be
Injectors and injector pump will be sent off for servicing
Cam/valve springs?
Transmission fluid
Axle seals?
Clutch
fly wheel (could be machined if worth it)
Electric inline fuel pump/regulator (maybe)

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Welcome! Just so you know, running a rotary pump TDI on gasoline (until it quits, of course) won't do any permanent damage to engine internals.

Tdi_greenhorn

TDI
Welcome! Just so you know, running a rotary pump TDI on gasoline (until it quits, of course) won't do any permanent damage to engine internals.
Thank you! That's interesting, I was under the impression it did. Scaring of cylinders, deterioration of the seals, burning out the injector tips, exc. I'm no mechanic, but i definitely know and have talked to lots of people about this. However none are tdi savvy, which is why I'm here. Haha
So, I filled half the tank with gas... (little tear) it drove for about 10km on the highway, died, got towed to our shop, diagnosed, flushed, flushed even more, and she started just fine. No obvious evidence of damage.
I'm doing the swap regardless, it'll give me the confidence in my daily, and let me make my 03 much more capable. 👍👌

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Not new obviously but I’ve been off for at least a year or so. Medical issues kept me from doing anything with my vehicles as well as many other hobbies/work. I’m able again to do so much of what I wanted to do and just completed a new garage for my wonderful tdi’s and looking forward to being a part of this awesome community again

Tdi_greenhorn

TDI
Not new obviously but I’ve been off for at least a year or so. Medical issues kept me from doing anything with my vehicles as well as many other hobbies/work. I’m able again to do so much of what I wanted to do and just completed a new garage for my wonderful tdi’s and looking forward to being a part of this awesome community again
That's exciting! Yeah, I've spent the last 4 weeks here, every day. Studying. Haha

013_TDI

TDI
(2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0 - Sold) 2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium Plus Sport Edition
Moderator Note:

Newbies, this thread is more than a decade old! It started out as a HOW TO post, but you will now find an entire HOW TO thread with links galore here: HOW TO

Since its original inception, this thread has evolved into an introduction and welcome thread. Feel free to introduce yourself here and post a picture of your car. If you have a question, feel free to browse the TDI 101 section, one of the model-specific sections, or any one of the forums on our site. :cool:

There is also a SEARCH function so you can quickly find what you're looking for - there are a number of common questions/problems that have already been discussed that you may find interesting.

----------------------------------------------------------

I think there should be a starter post for newbies to help answer many of their initial concerns. Here is a list that I came up with that many newbies have concerns about, or should be informed about:

Take some time and read through the TDIFAQ and the forums.

Consider the EGR modification:

Who has Vag-Com and where: (They are nice people, and can help with the EGR mod)

Read up on the Break-In period . This is important, and can save you many problems down the road!

How To Drive a Stick - Shifting Points

Most recommend that you DO NOT change your oil prior to 5,000 miles:
Do not change prior to 5,000
Do not change prior to 5,000

Diesel 101

Try to use Premium Diesel

Or better yet, try BIODIESEL

Can't get premium or biodiesel, consider adding an additive:

If you are experiencing "poor" mileage:

Another Poor Fuel Economy Post

Come to a GTG and meet your fellow TDI'ers, they can help you out.

Here is a picture of the TDI engine with many important components labeled:

Some general maintenance items:

GeWilli's How To Page
GeWilli's site has lots of good information including: relay 109, MAF analysis, bulb changing (harder than it sounds), any many more!!!

Link to Useful PDF's
This links to a post with a bunch of downloadable PDF files on some procedures.

More How To's

How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change
How to do an Oil Change

How to change the Fuel Filter

How to clean the Snowscreen
How to clean the Snowscreen

Testing Glow Plugs

Brake Pad and Rotor Replacement

Intake Manifold Cleaning

MAF Failure Analysis

Some add-ons/modifications to consider:

Skidplate

Fumuto Valve

Ventectomy

Mufflerectomy

CCV Mod

Evry Mod

Custom Boost Gauge

How to Buy a Used TDI

Anyone else have something to add that all newbies should read up on? Are there better posts out there that I didn't include?

One last hint... scroll down to the bottom of this page and click on the Favorite Thread link. This will add a link to your "My Home" so you always have a quick link to it.
Hello,

New TDI owner here. 2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0. I am a first time diesel owner as well. I purchased the TDI as a second vehicle to be used as a daily drive/commuter vehicle. My commute is 42 miles (67.59 km). The TDI was a more affordable option to trading in my pickup truck for a diesel pickup truck.

I am familiarizing my self with how the TDI feels while driving, ergonomics, sounds of the engine and car and the onboard controls.

The upgrade that I would like to make is a radio upgrade. I have become accustomed to plugging my phone into a USB and having maps pop up. I’m researching either purchasing and installing a radio with navigation and other necessary options, or purchasing a stand alone navigation unit from Garmin.

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
Hello,

New TDI owner here. 2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0. I am a first time diesel owner as well. I purchased the TDI as a second vehicle to be used as a daily drive/commuter vehicle. My commute is 42 miles (67.59 km). The TDI was a more affordable option to trading in my pickup truck for a diesel pickup truck.

I am familiarizing my self with how the TDI feels while driving, ergonomics, sounds of the engine and car and the onboard controls.

The upgrade that I would like to make is a radio upgrade. I have become accustomed to plugging my phone into a USB and having maps pop up. I’m researching either purchasing and installing a radio with navigation and other necessary options, or purchasing a stand alone navigation unit from Garmin.
Welcome. You can search this thread VW Passat Family (NMS and B7) TDIs (2012+) I’m sure there’s something in there, otherwise maybe here Upgrades (non TDI Engine related)

Glad to have you! Hope you enjoy the TDI!

DslG8r

TDI
2015 mk7
New from Arizona. Just kind of coming on here to browse and learn a few things. I am a diesel mechanic by trade. We do mostly light duty diesels here. I am a Ford diesel engine master, but also do most of our Cummins and VW work. My commuter is an Ea288 which I love.

seb1899

TDI
I drank the 'kool ade' and purchased a 2014 Passat TDI SEL with 60621mi
New TDI owner:
Well I have drunk the Kool ade and I purchased a 2014 TDI Passat SEL that has 60,300 mi. It was a 2 owner car and I believe the 1st owner was military @ FT Bragg NC and the car went with him to Ft Rielly KS and then was sold back to VW. It was sold to a VW dealer in VA, the "fix" was done and after they used it 15k mi they sold it at auction and was purchased by a quality used dealer in Durham, NC. It appears the car was serviced regularly at VW dealers throughout its life so far and now that it is mine I will do the DSG service and install a new fuel filter annd air filter and see how it goes.
The last VW diesel I owned was a 1991 Eco Turbo Diesel Jetta and when my wife could not learn the standard transmission I went the 300D and 300E route from 1993 to 2007 and became a Hyundai owner. This car will replace my 2008 Eos and we still have the 2011 Hyundai Azera that has 66k mi. But now I am back for better or worse.

Ivnx

TDI
2012 VW JSW
Hello all!
Newbie to the world of vw here. Previously only had Honda/Acura’s. Decided to bite the bullet finally (had been drooling over diesel wagons from Europe for a long time i.e. bmw/MB/vw/Audi) and got myself a 2012 tdi JSW. The post emissions tdi warranty was too good to pass up! Hope to learn more and experience more about the diesel world of vw as I do some troubleshooting to bring my new car up to speed (some minor aesthetic issues and missing floor mats/ mirror heater knob/ ac / SRS lights 😂 but it was a good deal) glad to be here! :)

y0su

TDI
audi A3 8Pa 2.0TDI quattro
1st time TDI owner (1st diesel and/or turbo) '08 A3 2.0 (170 CR) quattro (also 1st AWD and/or 6 speed). From Finland.
Some VW experience with an mk3 golf.

nojokes09

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Hello to everyone. New guy to the forum. Not new to the car. Lol. 99.5 Jetta ALH 280K. I’ve had it since 90K. I can’t get enough of it. Lol. Was poking around the Internet looking for an intercooler pipe upgrade and decided this looks like a decent place for me.