EGR, DPF delete kit

TNTTDIJETTA

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
My DPF is bad as well as the EGR sensor I had it scanned at the auto parts store and have issues in each circuit and I’d like to just delete them with a kit and tune. I was wondering In doing so it looks like the down pipes in the Kit have bungs to retain the sensors so I guess you put them back in but it just doesn’t read from or use those sensors anymore. I was wondering if you install the delete down pipe kits and do not tune the car right away is it still possible to drive the car? Just wondering as the kits and tune are pricy I was wondering if I could install the parts and drove the car as I wait and save for the tune and the computer. Thank you.

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
The scan at most auto parts stores would be with a generic reader that will not give an accurate VW scan.

TNTTDIJETTA

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
The scan at most auto parts stores would be with a generic reader that will not give an accurate VW scan.
Not a very good answer to the questions that I asked. The scanner they used worked just fine. It turned up codes:
P2002
P0073
P0544
U0423
Ecm- 008194, 00115, 050211, 001348
TCM- 28907

So I’m wondering if I order the delete hard parts and install them if the car will drive and function without the computer and tune and just have the CEL and maybe glow plug light flashing.

yahmon

Veteran Member
TDI
04 passat tdi 6spd stage2 webasto TC3 , 04 passatW8 6 spd, 10 Jetta TDI 6spd stage 1
Not a very good answer to the questions that I asked. The scanner they used worked just fine. It turned up codes:
P2002
P0073
P0544
U0423
Ecm- 008194, 00115, 050211, 001348
TCM- 28907

So I’m wondering if I order the delete hard parts and install them if the car will drive and function without the computer and tune and just have the CEL and maybe glow plug light flashing.
It most likely go limp mode, i would probably go the other way around and do the tune first

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
Have it scanned with the VCDS or the VW dealer unit and see if they agree with the auto parts store.
It is a lot of money to not get a second opinion.
My 2009 had a cracked DPF etc at 200,000 miles and I had the delete done and it made some difference, but not as much ad you would think.
I did it because the CAT and DPF had to be replaced the the tune of $4000+.
The tuners and the down pipe vendors could answer your question better than most people here for their specific products.
AND my answer could be very helpful if you paid attention.

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
So I had this come up a few years ago.... did the ‘fix’ then retuned and deleted. But the tune didn’t ‘take’ on the car and we didn’t realize and I had to hit the highway right away. It went into limp mode about 150 miles into the journey. So no, you can’t drive the car with the downpipe installed and no tune. At least that was my experience.

TNTTDIJETTA

TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
So I had this come up a few years ago.... did the ‘fix’ then retuned and deleted. But the tune didn’t ‘take’ on the car and we didn’t realize and I had to hit the highway right away. It went into limp mode about 150 miles into the journey. So no, you can’t drive the car with the downpipe installed and no tune. At least that was my experience.
Thanks for your answer I appreciate it. Why did the tune not take? What caused this?

Thunder Chicken

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf Wagon
Thanks for your answer I appreciate it. Why did the tune not take? What caused this?
I can’t remember what happened, it was a few years ago now. I want to say it was actually the wrong tune installed.....(a stage 2 without a delete tune was uploaded when we in fact deleted and wanted the delete) needless to say it was not a happy car. The tuner was very helpful as was a local guru.
If you don’t want to mail your ECU and wait for the tune to be installed, some companies have a flash tool so you can install the tune yourself. It’s an extra cost but then you’re free to install/uninstall at your leisure if need be.