kw1281test: A Free VDS-Pro / VagTacho Alternative

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
You can probably add the 2-3 components needed to make the glow plug light work as described here:
I'm not even sure those modifications are even needed, as the Passat cluster does look to have an LED already on the board. What I really need is a sport diesel tach face with the glow plug symbol on it as right now I just have a non-diesel gauge face. Then I can test to see if the existing LED will light up when it's supposed to.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
Took the VAG Tacho cable apart. There's an FTDI chip in there but it's not the typical FT232R and there's a microcontroller in there also. So since it's not a dumb KKL cable, it's unlikely that kw1281test is going to work with it, even after overriding the VID/PID.
PXL_20210204_011704390.jpg

Last edited:

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I'm not even sure those modifications are even needed, as the Passat cluster does look to have an LED already on the board. What I really need is a sport diesel tach face with the glow plug symbol on it as right now I just have a non-diesel gauge face. Then I can test to see if the existing LED will light up when it's supposed to.
There's a bit you have to set in the cluster EEPROM to enable the glow plug LED. You should be able to use DashDumpEdit to turn on that bit in the dump.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Actually never mind. I poked around in the basement and found the exact VAG Tacho cable that you have (same VID, PID and serial) and it does not seem to work with the D2xx drivers. I'm 99% sure it's using a counterfeit FTDI chip as each chip is supposed to have a unique serial number. Hopefully won't be an issue after you order a different cable.
Yeah - that's pretty much the conclusion I'd come to as well. I have to (different generation) VAG TACHO cables and they both have the same PID, VID and "serial number" of 00000004. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Z@gor

TDI
ex GTD 5
Now, I cannot say if it was a US/CAN car as there are a bunch of bits enabled that only US/CAN cars usually have but these could be just equipment settings that are way more common on US/CAN cars than the RoW versions. Usually, a US/CAN market car will have a sticker in the drivers door jam that says "meets or exceeds federal safety standards" or something along these lines and a CAN car will have a maple leaf on it. If you don't see this, it is most likely from somewhere else.
I confirm:
- vehicle registered in Italy
- 4 electric windows
- RoW version
- central locking with remote control
- no anti-theft
- no US stickers
- version GTI TDI
- engine ARL 150 hp

I do not exclude that the CCM has been replaced in the past, but I am unable to confirm this

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
I confirm:
- vehicle registered in Italy
- 4 electric windows
- RoW version
- central locking with remote control
- no anti-theft
- no US stickers
- version GTI TDI
- engine ARL 150 hp

I do not exclude that the CCM has been replaced in the past, but I am unable to confirm this
Thanks for confirming. There does seem to be a bit that I thought was an option depending on market (NAR/RoW) but it is enabled on yours and every NAR vehicle I've seen but no other RoW cars (from my limited list of cars anyway). I guess that will stay a mystery what it is for then. Some things I can confirm for you is that you DO have the factory alarm but not the DWA configuration with the battery backup alarm siren. Also, your CCM does have interior monitoring enabled but the adaption channel bit that allows you to adapt/monitor if the system is on is disabled though. Are you sure you do not have the sensors somewhere? Due to the adaption channel bit disabled, I am almost sure this answer will be no.

Also, crazy you have TDI GTIs (early GTD's?). Over here in North America, we never got any GTD's but they did have a TDI in a bunch of stuff. It was so piecemeal were they had the option in everything over in your neck of the woods but NAR, we never got the TDI in a lot of cars it should have been offered in (Tiguan....).

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
So here's a fun project: Too cold in your garage to putter with kw1281test in your car? Don't feel like dragging your laptop out to the car? Just plug your FTDI-based KKL adapter into your Raspberry Pi, plug the Pi into a cigarette lighter USB power adapter, plug the KKL cable into the OBD port, turn the ignition key to Run and head back into your warm comfy house to use kw1281test via a remote SSH session.

Pi.png

And it actually works:

1612478525138.png

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
That's when you know you have too much time on your hands. Still really cool, nonetheless!

Another potentially dumb question - why does your program need superuser privileges to run? Is it because it's talking to the serial port directly?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
See if the new version I posted will work with your VAG Tacho cable after setting the VID/PID environment variables. You might get lucky and not have to wait for your new cable.
FTDI USB-Serial cable arrived today; plugged it into the KKL cable that works on the old DOS machine with VDS-PRO, so I think I have the hardware all sorted out.

Unfortunately...still no luck in getting it to read anything.
Code:
Mikes-MacBook-Air:Downloads Mike$ ./kw1281test AG0JGRR4 10400 17 ReadIdent
Unhandled exception. System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load shared library 'libSystem.Native' or one of its dependencies. In order to help diagnose loading problems, consider setting the DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES environment variable: dlopen(liblibSystem.Native, 1): image not found
   at Interop.Sys.Dup(SafeFileHandle oldfd)
   at System.ConsolePal.<>c.<OpenStandardOutput>b__9_0()
   at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandleHelper.Open(Func`1 fdFunc)
   at System.ConsolePal.OpenStandardOutput()
   at System.Console.OpenStandardOutput()
   at System.Console.<get_Out>g__EnsureInitialized|25_0()
   at System.Console.get_Out()
   at System.Console.WriteLine(String value)
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Logger.WriteLine(String message)
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Main(String[] args)
Abort trap: 6
Mikes-MacBook-Air:Downloads Mike$
As the video you posted above suggests, I tried to install the samples as well - just to see. And it went through the download and successful install of Xcode Command Line Tools. Ran the "make" command like the video showed, and got - another error.
Code:
Mikes-MacBook-Air:Samples Mike$ make
for n in BitMode EEPROM/erase EEPROM/read EEPROM/write EEPROM/user/read EEPROM/user/size EEPROM/user/write Events LargeRead loopback MultiThread SetVIDPID Simple static Timeouts W32/escapeseq W32/events W32/simple W32/timeouts write ; do "/Library/Developer/CommandLineTools/usr/bin/make" -C $n || exit 1; done
cc main.c -o bitmode-static ../../build/libftd2xx.a -Wall -Wextra -lpthread -lobjc -framework IOKit -framework CoreFoundation
clang: error: no such file or directory: '../../build/libftd2xx.a'
make[1]: *** [bitmode-static] Error 1
make: *** [subdirs] Error 1
Mikes-MacBook-Air:Samples Mike$
Somewhere in that video (or maybe it was the instructions), I saw / read about disabling the default Apple drivers; I followed instructions for that, but didn't change anything.

Last edited:

Klavaro

TDI
'00 Golf GTI 1.8T from USA
Hi, I'm really grateful for this, I'm really happy that I can use my Chinese kkl cable for these kinds of stuff. I was able to enable remote windows control, but I'm having difficulties with reading the cluster's EEPROM, if I'm right it's a Bosch one, but with DumpRB8Eeprom command it can't even talk to it.

Before that I tried DumpEeprom command too, which thrown a weird exception.

I might be missing something here, but could you help me please?

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Hi, I'm really grateful for this, I'm really happy that I can use my Chinese kkl cable for these kinds of stuff. I was able to enable remote windows control, but I'm having difficulties with reading the cluster's EEPROM, if I'm right it's a Bosch one, but with DumpRB8Eeprom command it can't even talk to it.

Before that I tried DumpEeprom command too, which thrown a weird exception.

I might be missing something here, but could you help me please?
Unfortunately, it looks like that model doesn't behave the same as the 2 Bosch cluster that I have (both 1J5920926C) so you're probably out of luck. :(

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
Another potentially dumb question - why does your program need superuser privileges to run? Is it because it's talking to the serial port directly?
That just how the FTDI D2xx drivers work on Linux. I guess they need extra permissions to talk to the port.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
FTDI USB-Serial cable arrived today; plugged it into the KKL cable that works on the old DOS machine with VDS-PRO, so I think I have the hardware all sorted out.

Unfortunately...still no luck in getting it to read anything.
Code:
Mikes-MacBook-Air:Downloads Mike$ ./kw1281test AG0JGRR4 10400 17 ReadIdent
Unhandled exception. System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load shared library 'libSystem.Native' or one of its dependencies. In order to help diagnose loading problems, consider setting the DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES environment variable: dlopen(liblibSystem.Native, 1): image not found
   at Interop.Sys.Dup(SafeFileHandle oldfd)
   at System.ConsolePal.<>c.<OpenStandardOutput>b__9_0()
   at Microsoft.Win32.SafeHandles.SafeFileHandleHelper.Open(Func`1 fdFunc)
   at System.ConsolePal.OpenStandardOutput()
   at System.Console.OpenStandardOutput()
   at System.Console.<get_Out>g__EnsureInitialized|25_0()
   at System.Console.get_Out()
   at System.Console.WriteLine(String value)
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Logger.WriteLine(String message)
   at BitFab.KW1281Test.Program.Main(String[] args)
Abort trap: 6
Mikes-MacBook-Air:Downloads Mike$
Does it fail like that if you just run it with no arguments?

I just tried downloading the latest release from GitHub using the macOS (Big Sur) terminal:

Code:
curl -LJO https://github.com/gmenounos/kw1281test/releases/download/0.48-beta/kw1281test_macOS.zip
unzip kw1281test_macOS.zip
chmod +x kw1281test
./kw1281test
And it ran successfully and displayed the help message.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
One by one, copied the lines above into Terminal, everything worked...until ./kw1281test
(Edit: ...on my old MacBook Air (High Sierra); just now gave the same thing a try on the MacBook Pro (Big Sur) - it worked!! :D
Thanks for your patience and help, @gmenounos - very much appreciated!

MacBook Air gives me this same error.
Code:
Unhandled exception. System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load shared library 'libSystem.Native' or one of its dependencies. In order to help diagnose loading problems, consider setting the DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES environment variable: dlopen(liblibSystem.Native.......

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
One by one, copied the lines above into Terminal, everything worked...until ./kw1281test
(Edit: ...on my old MacBook Air (High Sierra); just now gave the same thing a try on the MacBook Pro (Big Sur) - it worked!! :D
Thanks for your patience and help, @gmenounos - very much appreciated!

MacBook Air gives me this same error.
Code:
Unhandled exception. System.DllNotFoundException: Unable to load shared library 'libSystem.Native' or one of its dependencies. In order to help diagnose loading problems, consider setting the DYLD_PRINT_LIBRARIES environment variable: dlopen(liblibSystem.Native.......
Just out of curiosity - have you tried by running sudo first (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed it stood for super user, do once)?

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
Just out of curiosity - have you tried by running sudo first (someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I always assumed it stood for super user, do once)?
sudo actually stands for switch user; do once. Running sudo just assumes root permissions if you do not pass the -u "username" option which is why it seems to stand for super user. The su command is the same deal.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
sudo actually stands for switch user; do once. Running sudo just assumes root permissions if you do not pass the -u "username" option which is why it seems to stand for super user. The su command is the same deal.
I was close - I honestly never bothered to look it up, and having been traditionally a Solaris guy, we never had sudo, but rather, su.

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
I was close - I honestly never bothered to look it up, and having been traditionally a Solaris guy, we never had sudo, but rather, su.
I used to use Linux a lot more years ago with building home servers using old hardware but I bought a Synology NAS years ago and that sorta went away. Now I use Win/Mac most of the time so I forgot a lot of the commands I used to use. I never ran Solaris but I have used BeOS and the new Haiku recreation of it. Now I am just lazy since my day job is to deal with a windows domain issues and the usual things users end up breaking.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes, last night, I'd tried it with sudo, without sudo, in the active folder, not...
Whatever the chmod +x kw1281test command did made it work on my Big Sur MBP.
(Any idea why it doesn't work on my High Sierra machine? That's the "beater" computer I'd prefer to keep in the garage for car stuff.)

lijetta18t

TDI
2019 GSW 4mo 6MT
Yes, last night, I'd tried it with sudo, without sudo, in the active folder, not...
(Any idea why it doesn't work on my High Sierra machine? That's the "beater" computer I'd prefer to keep in the garage for car stuff.)
High Sierra did have less security than Big Sur. Also, do keep in mind that since Catalina, MacOS only supports 64bit everything so if your FDTI driver is 32 bit, it may not run at all. If I remember correctly, kw1281test is 64 bit but is the FDTI driver 64 bit?

I am still on Mojave because I have an older printer that the software is 32 bit only so I cannot upgrade yet myself.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I'd downloaded / installed the same driver package on both computers, so I have to think the FTDI driver is indeed 64bit. And when installing via the Terminal commands on MBA/HS, it didn't make a fuss.

Whatever it is, I'm happy to have this available on any Mac, so again 👍 to @gmenounos!

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
"chmod +x kw1281test" changes the file attributes to make it executable. I created the zip file on a Windows machine, which doesn't have an executable attribute. I'll experiment some time and see if I can eliminate the need for the chmod step.

As for High Sierra, kw1281test runs using .NET 5, which is supposed to be supported on macOS High Sierra (10.13): https://github.com/dotnet/core/blob/master/release-notes/5.0/5.0-supported-os.md

I don't know why it's not working. I only have access to Big Sur so I can't test on High Sierra. You can try installing the .NET 5 SDK and then I can give you some experiments to run to try to figure out why it's not working:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
chmod +x would just set kw1281test to be executable. Like our CCMs, it's all binary. So I think chmod 777 for instance would set the read, write and execute bit for root, group and user. I'm guessing +x would just set the execute bit on, though I can't imagine any reason the write bit would need to be set on or off.

I don't remember if Big Sur or High Sierra is newer. I think I was using Yosemite on my Mac Pro, and the same under VMware on my PC. I know Apple also gets funny about third party applications, including CLI, running on newer versions, and most of what I use under Mac OS is GNU freeware or other downloaded items.

This is a really cool thread. Love to see it pinned over in the OBD forum.
I sent Lawson( @VeeDubTDI ) a message asking him to sticky this a while ago.

"chmod +x kw1281test" changes the file attributes to make it executable. I created the zip file on a Windows machine, which doesn't have an executable attribute. I'll experiment some time and see if I can eliminate the need for the chmod step.
I think if you set it as an executable, this (and other permissions) theoretically should be preserved if you gzip it or put it in a tar.
And I didn't see your response before I wrote mine above to @Nuje .
I used to use Linux a lot more years ago with building home servers using old hardware but I bought a Synology NAS years ago and that sorta went away. Now I use Win/Mac most of the time so I forgot a lot of the commands I used to use. I never ran Solaris but I have used BeOS and the new Haiku recreation of it. Now I am just lazy since my day job is to deal with a windows domain issues and the usual things users end up breaking.
That's super cool. Big segue, but my friend @alphaseinor used to be a BeOS developer once upon a time, before becoming a TDI mechanic/vendor (and now back to a programmer and doing TDI stuff on the side). I totally get forgetting commands you don't use all the time!

Last edited:

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I compile and zip the releases on Windows, so it's not surprising that the file in the macOS .zip isn't marked as executable. I'm sure there's a way that I can work around it without having to steal my daughter's MacBook every time I need to build a new release.

And lest you guys think I'm some kind of Windows snob:
PXL_20210206_051126553.jpg
1994 baby!

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Any idea why it doesn't work on my High Sierra machine? That's the "beater" computer I'd prefer to keep in the garage for car stuff.
Well, as is often the case with me...PEBKAC. 🤦‍♂️

The desktop wallpaper on my MacBook Air was the one with only the "high" mountains and sky; I knew the other "Sierra" release had like alpine meadows. So, I'm thinking - well, the "mountains only" wallpaper has to be High Sierra, and the one with the pond and meadows and mountains in the background - that has to be just regular "Sierra".
(Nope)

Sierra wallpaper:

High Sierra wallpaper:

Soooo....I install High Sierra (for realz this time), and wouldn't you know - ./kw1281test now works just fine on ye ol' MacBook Air.
(Oy.)

Last edited:

Z@gor

TDI
ex GTD 5
Thanks for confirming. There does seem to be a bit that I thought was an option depending on market (NAR/RoW) but it is enabled on yours and every NAR vehicle I've seen but no other RoW cars (from my limited list of cars anyway). I guess that will stay a mystery what it is for then. Some things I can confirm for you is that you DO have the factory alarm but not the DWA configuration with the battery backup alarm siren. Also, your CCM does have interior monitoring enabled but the adaption channel bit that allows you to adapt/monitor if the system is on is disabled though. Are you sure you do not have the sensors somewhere? Due to the adaption channel bit disabled, I am almost sure this answer will be no.

Also, crazy you have TDI GTIs (early GTD's?). Over here in North America, we never got any GTD's but they did have a TDI in a bunch of stuff. It was so piecemeal were they had the option in everything over in your neck of the woods but NAR, we never got the TDI in a lot of cars it should have been offered in (Tiguan....).
You deduced perfectly! I managed to download the chassis number info for Etka. In fact, my friend's Golf 4 1.9 GTI TDI has the alarm with internal volumetric sensor (PR WE3 - Technical Pack with volumetric sensor + PR 9V7 Electronic immobilizer, with anti- theft
alarm system and interior monitoring) complete with an anti-theft deactivation button on the B pillar trim. However, the alarm siren is of the two-wire monotonal type, not three-wire piezoelectric (see wiring diagram).

My previous Golf, instead, was a GTD version with the marvelous 2.0 BMN 170 hp engine

caffeine

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Allroad w/04 BHW/02X conversion, 00 ALH Jetta
You can probably add the 2-3 components needed to make the glow plug light work as described here:
Looks like the standard B5 Passats do already have a functioning glow plug LED on the board. I managed to find a 1J5920826C binary to flash into an 01 Passat 1.8T cluster, swapped over a diesel tach, and installed it in my 04 BEW car. Glow plug light works great now and no check engine light either. Not bad to have about $40 invested in an MFA cluster.

Last edited:

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I compile and zip the releases on Windows, so it's not surprising that the file in the macOS .zip isn't marked as executable. I'm sure there's a way that I can work around it without having to steal my daughter's MacBook every time I need to build a new release.

And lest you guys think I'm some kind of Windows snob:
I don't know you well enough to assume that, but given you're helping others running Linux and Mac OS X, I wouldn't have assumed that at all.

If you somehow got this program coded in VisualBasic, my opinion would be quite different!
There is a way actually, and that's to use VMWare. Without going into details, if you google it, you can run OS X under VMware. I think it depends on the version, and if you use Linux seamlessly with Windows 10, I think that has to get disabled to allow VMware to run in 64 bit mode. I want to say that I'm running Sierra as well, based on the backgrounds @Nuje showed.

I'm also bummed the magazine above has the OS/2 article covered up. I was in high school in the mid-90s, and was an OS/2 zealot then. Not so much anymore, but I still like reading about it. Amazing to think how far we've come along since then (also toyed with Debian 2 around 1996, and that was quite fun as well).

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
I'm also bummed the magazine above has the OS/2 article covered up. I was in high school in the mid-90s, and was an OS/2 zealot then. Not so much anymore, but I still like reading about it. Amazing to think how far we've come along since then (also toyed with Debian 2 around 1996, and that was quite fun as well).
It turns out that OS/2 article is online here: https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/2734