Franko6 ALH Stage 2 cam questions - how do you like yours?

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
Just wanted to see what others think of Franko6's Stage 2 cam for the ALH. Obviously, this question is only relevant if you have it installed.
I plan on using my ALH both for moderate towing and as a daily with some spirited driving. I've chatted with Frank a bit, but I wanted to see what others' opinions are, who have the product.

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I'd like to follow as well. I plan to put one in my ahu build. I have a Colt cam in my ALH, which I got for a good deal from a club member.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I've heard bad things from various people about the Colt, and Frank supplied the cam in my BEW that I'm fixing to sell (more than pleased with it, and the difference was incredible), so I was just trying to get feedback on those who installed the same for the ALH.

Mozambiquer

TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I've heard bad things from various people about the Colt, and Frank supplied the cam in my BEW that I'm fixing to sell (more than pleased with it, and the difference was incredible), so I was just trying to get feedback on those who installed the same for the ALH.
I haven't necessarily heard bad about the Colt personally, but I have heard that Frank's is better. Plus, he's relatively local to me, not out somewhere else.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Only bad thing I've heard about Colt, isn't really a bad thing, but that Kerma is the only authorized reseller. Otherwise I've read that it quiets the engine, lowers EGTs, and raises the top end power by about 200rpms. I know I plan to get one when I build my engine. Which will be... Who knows when lol

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
If you had to choose between Franko6 and Kerma...n/m.
If you searched any of my previous threads, you'd find that I won't do business with Kerma. And to avoid a flame war, I'll leave it at that!
I haven't necessarily heard bad about the Colt personally, but I have heard that Frank's is better. Plus, he's relatively local to me, not out somewhere else.
I'm very happy with his BEW cam, though that was a result of truly needing it and lifters, and losing about 12 teeth on the timing belt. I've obviously since learned my lesson - always do the TB when you acquire a new TDI.
Only bad thing I've heard about Colt, isn't really a bad thing, but that Kerma is the only authorized reseller.
LOL!
Otherwise I've read that it quiets the engine, lowers EGTs, and raises the top end power by about 200rpms. I know I plan to get one when I build my engine. Which will be... Who knows when lol
Interesting. My tuner mentioned something about it increasing volumetric efficiency. Kinda makes sense, but I won't pretend to be an engineer (because I'm not).

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Slightly advancing the cam timing will increase volumetric efficiency, that is true, in my experience using it in V-8 naturally aspirated engines. By advancing the camshaft the torque is stronger at low to mid RPM, and at higher RPM the power rolls off 1000RPM earlier.
For towing the camshaft advance really brings in the Mid-range power where a towing or recreational vehicle really needs it. There is a bit more torque available in a diesel with a slightly advanced camshaft, I am unfamiliar with pressurized intake manifolds, but the theory is sound.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Slightly advancing the cam timing will increase volumetric efficiency, that is true, in my experience using it in V-8 naturally aspirated engines. By advancing the camshaft the torque is stronger at low to mid RPM, and at higher RPM the power rolls off 1000RPM earlier.
For towing the camshaft advance really brings in the Mid-range power where a towing or recreational vehicle really needs it. There is a bit more torque available in a diesel with a slightly advanced camshaft, I am unfamiliar with pressurized intake manifolds, but the theory is sound.
And I'm finding that at least on a PD, retarding it can increase the fuel economy. I adjusted the camshaft on my BHW while watching the lph in vag-com, got it down to .4 lph. Fuel economy on winter diesel went up to 33 mpg from the 28-30 it had been at. It does seem to have lost a bit of torque though...

Mozambiquer

TDI
If you searched any of my previous threads, you'd find that I won't do business with Kerma. And to avoid a flame war, I'll leave it at that!

I'm very happy with his BEW cam, though that was a result of truly needing it and lifters, and losing about 12 teeth on the timing belt. I've obviously since learned my lesson - always do the TB when you acquire a new TDI.

LOL!

Interesting. My tuner mentioned something about it increasing volumetric efficiency. Kinda makes sense, but I won't pretend to be an engineer (because I'm not).
I understand that... I also do the timing belt, unless I know that it was done and done right (normally only if I know the person I got it from)
My brother in law will be doing a Franko6 cam in his BRM come this spring. I'm curious how it will do.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
And I'm finding that at least on a PD, retarding it can increase the fuel economy. I adjusted the camshaft on my BHW while watching the lph in vag-com, got it down to .4 lph. Fuel economy on winter diesel went up to 33 mpg from the 28-30 it had been at. It does seem to have lost a bit of torque though...
I remember my torsion value was very retarded on my BEW, but I don't remember what it is now. I want to say +0.5 when I last changed it. I learned I also had a massive boost leak (darkside intake manifold failed along the weld), but I've never really got great fuel economy on my BEW.

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
A pro tip for Canadian members, you can order directly from colt as they are in BC. It’s probably cheaper for U.S members to go through kerma, but for Canadian members you can save roughly $20 plus duty fees. I ordered a stage 2 last week.

ghohouston

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta Sedan TDI 5 Speed
I recently installed Franks stage 2 cam and had him port a spare head for me. Got about 4k miles on the setup so far, and it definitely has more power throughout the rpm range. Pulls harder up to the rev limiter now as well. I like it. Fuel economy has not changed any noticable amount, as I expected, BUT who cares, the engine is running more efficiently, AND feels more powerful.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
If you haven't noticed by now, I am a 100% Franko6 supporter, I do not have one of his camshafts, or a ported head done by Franko6, but I will vouch for his work on injectors and nozzles. Many years ago I had Frank install 205's into a head he rebuilt; not only was the power increase incredible, but my FE was 50+MPG at 75 MPH. Little or no smoke at all.
I was running a set of .216's built by someone else-I won't say who in open forums-they ran okay, but the FE was terrible, really smokey, and the throttle response was average.
I sent Frank an identical set of nozzles a few weeks back-he is really busy-I installed them, I swore there was a new motor under the hood; spinning the tires on dry pavement without dumping the clutch had never happened before. Not only that but getting pushed back into the seat was a new occurrence. My Jetta is really fun to drive now. I haven't driven enough to check the FE yet, but I will.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I bet I know who installed your .216's, but I won't say anything either. I decided I'm going to order his cam, so now I'm eager to see the improvements.

Mozambiquer

TDI
I have a couple of heads at Frank's place right now, one for my alh a one for my ahu. I'm getting one of his cams for the ahu and will be getting one to replace the worn out Colt in my BHW. I finally got over there to meet him a few months back. He's quite friendly and knows a lot!

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
HI,

Just curious ... how much is a cam from him?

How much does head work run ?

Does he have a web page to look at (I have heard alot about him and would like to see / read / learn more).

Thanks

Andrew

Mozambiquer

TDI
HI,

Just curious ... how much is a cam from him?

How much does head work run ?

Does he have a web page to look at (I have heard alot about him and would like to see / read / learn more).

Thanks

Andrew
There's a couple of links. The head work kinda depends on what's being done, he's not the cheapest, but fairly reasonably priced. If I remember correctly, the alh cam is around $2-300 and the PD cam is $1100 for the whole kit. I'm getting the heads redone as well as porting and polishing. I can't remember the prices he told me, I think it was $275 for exhaust only, but don't quote me on that.
He doesn't have a website, just some posts on here.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
When queried about a cam, Jeff of RC told me that you'll get more hp but with the sacrifice of some low end torque.
I've done a fair bit of towing with my Golf, so I've left it alone. TB job coming up, I'll check on my cam then. I did drop a couple of heads in to Franko6 2 years ago and made the mistake of telling him to "take his time". Lol, now with the CRD as part of the TDI collection, the pressure's off doing much to the Golf. Both are running so well I'm loathe to touch either.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I have a couple of heads at Frank's place right now, one for my alh a one for my ahu. I'm getting one of his cams for the ahu and will be getting one to replace the worn out Colt in my BHW. I finally got over there to meet him a few months back. He's quite friendly and knows a lot!
Lucky. I was supposed to meet him at someone's TDI GTG in Michigan a few years ago, but he had a bad ATV accident and obviously wasn't able to make it.

And true, no website, but it's nice being able to text him. I ended up ordering his stage 2 cam on Friday, so I'll post updates on it after I install it.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I guess I can answer my own question now. Throttle response is a lot nicer, and I feel like I have more power over 3000 RPM. I'll see how it works out when I do more than a quick test drive, tomorrow.

Mozambiquer

TDI
Sweet! I can't wait to get my caddy finished and try it myself. I'll probably try his bhw cam first in my Passat before I get my caddy done.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
No dyno but I’ve been running one for maybe 10 years. Definitely extends the useful RPM range. I don’t have head work but do have PD150 intake and buzzken exhaust.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I guess I can answer my own question now. Throttle response is a lot nicer, and I feel like I have more power over 3000 RPM. I'll see how it works out when I do more than a quick test drive, tomorrow.

What mods have you done to the car in which you installed the new camshaft? We're replacing the head on a Stage 4 Malone-tuned car and wondering if a cam like @Franko6's or Colt's adds anything on top of the already pretty good performance.

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Not to derail de thread but how this compares to a stock 2.0 sdi cam onto a pd tdi 130/150 engine ?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
No dyno but I’ve been running one for maybe 10 years. Definitely extends the useful RPM range. I don’t have head work but do have PD150 intake and buzzken exhaust.
This question is off topic, but I would like to ask with .216's and Stage 4 what is your average FE?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
When queried about a cam, Jeff of RC told me that you'll get more hp but with the sacrifice of some low end torque.
I've done a fair bit of towing with my Golf, so I've left it alone. TB job coming up, I'll check on my cam then. I did drop a couple of heads in to Franko6 2 years ago and made the mistake of telling him to "take his time". Lol, now with the CRD as part of the TDI collection, the pressure's off doing much to the Golf. Both are running so well I'm loathe to touch either.
RxR2 I hope life is treating you well, Happy New Year.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
As part of my recent TB job, I pulled the valve cover and resealed it to deal with an oil leak. Checking the cam
lobes revealed the start of pitting, Not at all serious at this stage, but about time as the engine approaches 200k.
I've ordered a new cam and lifter kit. Along with that I'll get around to installing a bigger airbox and intake,
with thanks to Mr Chill for supplying same at a very reasonable cost. He was also helpfull with opinions
on "upgrading" the cam.

The car is running great, to push more hp at higher revs would only compromise the longevity IMO.
No need for more, lol, I must be getting old. Still plenty fast enough to kill me. With the catch can
and timing at 53, just over the center line, my 17/22 spools quick and hard. I can start rolling into
it from 1800 rpm without smoke, no sign of boost creep, it holds rock solid at 26psi. FE, not so much lol.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
What mods have you done to the car in which you installed the new camshaft? We're replacing the head on a Stage 4 Malone-tuned car and wondering if a cam like @Franko6's or Colt's adds anything on top of the already pretty good performance.
Apparently, I haven't really logged in here in a while. Probably because the only thing not working (because I haven't installed the wiring for it) are heated seats on the Golf.

I should have all the mods in my signature for this car. I feel like my car runs better while towing. I've been finally exercising more fine foot control, and on a recent vacation to California, maanged to get 44-48mpg on average over the course of say 1500-ish miles? Even while towing about 2500-3000 pounds total, I was still gettin 28-31; I used to see about 24-26.