What did you do to your MKIV today?

Andyinchville1

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, 5 sp, 226K miles
Did an easy 15 minute egr block today. Drove 35 miles and it ran fine, other than having to clear one CEL. but all's good.
HI,

Been thinking of doing this ...

Does it seem to take much longer to warm up compared to stock?

Thanks

Andrew

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
If you don't mind the CEL, it is something you could unblock for a few days to ensure you'll pass an inspection and then block it back up. For the ALH resetting all the readiness bits (I think there's only 4 of them anyway for the ALH) takes about 10 minutes and a little driving. It is probably much more difficult for the PD engines, and you probably need a VCDS program to do it reliably on the CR engines. This is my guess since I've not owned any of the PD or CR examples.

Cheers,

PH
Thanks, I'm assuming even tho I cleared the cel it will be back again, but I live in a "no smog" county and pulling the little plate out if desired only takes about 10 min.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
HI,

Been thinking of doing this ...

Does it seem to take much longer to warm up compared to stock?

Thanks

Andrew
I think it's near to the same warm up time. Maybe a hair slower. But not having to clean the intake periodically is a fair trade off - and for me in a "no smog" county I feel definitely. Maybe there's even a bit faster turbo spool up? ?. I'm sure doubtful unless you factor in soot as a negative performance factor.

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
"factor in soot as a negative performance factor" Mukgyver

Soot and oil is what coats turbo blades. Here's where a catch can comes in. EGR delete also helps to eliminate sticky sooty vapors from clogging up the intake IMO.

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
"factor in soot as a negative performance factor" Mukgyver

Soot and oil is what coats turbo blades. Here's where a catch can comes in. EGR delete also helps to eliminate sticky sooty vapors from clogging up the intake IMO.
yes! just what I meant by negative factor. Soot is not good anywhere, including in chimney flues!

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Most trucks I work on that have egr issues have high idle times. Like 30+% of run time is idle time. With ULSD its not as much of a problem anymore. Especially if you do any catch can mods. Just don't idle your TDI :)

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Most trucks I work on that have egr issues have high idle times. Like 30+% of run time is idle time. With ULSD its not as much of a problem anymore. Especially if you do any catch can mods. Just don't idle your TDI :)
hmm options, Let's see..... 1. drive through all traffic lights and pedestrians. 2. keep egr and buy 400 db Train Horn.,....3. block or delete egr and live with bit slower warm ups and hyperemiler stress..... 4. keep as-is and plan on cleaning egr / intake regularly.... or 5. egr vag down-tune.

I like the last option but still need a full scanner. Ross mobile app sounds nice, but at somewhere near $500 probably have to wait until I really need it bad.. which I hate to be the case.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
1. Finally fixed my back up lights....broken wire under battery tray.
2. Was getting air in my fuel line with engine off......clear tube I installed in the past was leaking air at barb....rtv’ed area
Around bard all is good.
3. Fixed my low heat / warm A/C. Found clip that holds cable stationary behind temp control panel broken......fixed with
A large screw to lock cable sheath in place on temp control panel......YAAAAh......I’ve got my heat back ( yes the blend
Doors were recovered two years ago ).

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Thanks, I'm assuming even tho I cleared the cel it will be back again, but I live in a "no smog" county and pulling the little plate out if desired only takes about 10 min.
Research MAF twist........you can still do your egr delete and not get a cel.....
You will need VCDS with the car running, log into requested maf and actual maf.
remove the two screws that hold the maf in the housing and twist sensor till reading of requested and actual are really close , leave it there , you won’t need the screws as there is no pressure on that section of intake and the o-ring holds it just fine. I’ve used a silver marker pen to mark the sensor to the housing in case if it’s moved or you remove the air filter housing.......
I ran all my cars this way till I got tunes for them....... my .02

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Research MAF twist........you can still do your egr delete and not get a cel.....
remove the two screws that hold the maf in the housing and twist sensor till reading of requested and actual are really close , leave it there , you won’t need the screws as there is no pressure on that section of intake and the o-ring holds it just fine. I’ve used a silver marker pen to mark the sensor to the housing in case if it’s moved or you remove the air filter housing.......
Can I do that with my PD engine or is that just with ALH's? If so, could I just keep clearing the CEL and twist a little more until I get it? Call it a poor man's twist. Lol

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Ahhh didn’t realize it was for a PD motor. If it’s set up like the ALH I don’t see why it wouldn’t wok.
I guess you could try it, twist it toward the passenger side. On the ALH it’s about 3/16 of an inch , twist it till you can almost see the entire screw hole in the housing, that’s where it’s was on my ALH’s ....

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Ahhh didn’t realize it was for a PD motor. If it’s set up like the ALH I don’t see why it wouldn’t wok.
I guess you could try it, twist it toward the passenger side. On the ALH it’s about 3/16 of an inch , twist it till you can almost see the entire screw hole in the housing, that’s where it’s was on my ALH’s ....
Ok I'll play around with that, thanks. by the way my maf is a hot wire type not a hot film. do you think either type work with the twist?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I may try to experiment with that on my Passat as well. Novel idea for sure!

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
How many people own an oscilloscope? They look kinda pricey, well, there are cheap Chinesium options, but I wouldn't know a good one from a bad one. What else are they good for? RT
The one I have is from the late 70's or so.
I use to fix radios and some TV's with it.
Haven't used it it much in years.

It could be used to test the ABS sensor for smooth operation and not loaded with rust spots.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
The one I have is from the late 70's or so.
I use to fix radios and some TV's with it.
Haven't used it it much in years.

It could be used to test the ABS sensor for smooth operation and not loaded with rust spots.
Fix radios and TV's??? Hahahaha! You and I is old if you did that and I surely remember it! Been at least two decades since I've seen a TV and Stereo repair shop. Now you just toss it in the electronics recycling dumpster and go buy another. Kinda sad. I showed a millennial a dwell meter a couple weeks ago. Told him I'd buy him a case of beer if he could set points on the old Nova he just bought, impulse buy. He looked at me like I was nuts, asked what points were. I had to show him how. I'm starting to feel like an old timer.
RT

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Fix radios and TV's??? Hahahaha! You and I is old if you did that and I surely remember it! Been at least two decades since I've seen a TV and Stereo repair shop. Now you just toss it in the electronics recycling dumpster and go buy another. Kinda sad. I showed a millennial a dwell meter a couple weeks ago. Told him I'd buy him a case of beer if he could set points on the old Nova he just bought, impulse buy. He looked at me like I was nuts, asked what points were. I had to show him how. I'm starting to feel like an old timer.
RT
lol I about fell of my chair I was laughing so hard...... it’s sad but true about the stero and tv shops.
And I must be old also as I have a dwell meter and a timing light and know all about setting
points.🤣🤣

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
lol I about fell of my chair I was laughing so hard...... it’s sad but true about the stero and tv shops.
And I must be old also as I have a dwell meter and a timing light and know all about setting
points.🤣🤣
I still have both of those.
Can't remember the last time I used either.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
RT
points.🤣🤣
Ha! I remember my dad building our "big" 19" Heathkit TV back when we were growing up. Also had a kit build amp for the record player.

Jason

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Silly question. How often is carbon build up in the intake for you? My '05 Golf had 163K miles and never had intake off or cleaned. Last I checked it had some mild surface crud but nothing too serious. And I didn't get the benefit of the cleaner, lower sulfur D2 from California except for a couple months. Change adaption to limit EGR flow usage and regular "italian tune up"

Jason

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"Still building vacuum tube amplifiers now" PP

OT, audiophiles still swear by them, I'm very happy with my rebuilt Carver solid state M 1.0t.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta

OT, audiophiles still swear by them, I'm very happy with my rebuilt Carver solid state M 1.0t.
I'm a reformed car audio nut from the early days, used to compete in the lower watt classes. Went for clarity, not Db's. But yeah, tube amps sound much warmer and smoother than chips. Not that it matters today. Everything is compressed garbage quality source music, pointless to put it through a nice system. It is convenient though to have it all on your phone and with you all the time. RT

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
"compressed garbage quality source music, " rwt

Yeah, can't stand those MP3 files. Got a fair collection of CDs, but frankly I'm mostly watching movies on TV, or the radio. Still, my Polk SDA SRS 2.3s sound great with good input, even if it is only "mid-fi".

CableJockey

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS
There are much better digital audio codes than mp3. Some of which are not compressed, or considered "lossless" if they are. (FLAC, MQA, WAV, etc...) These formats have the ability to provide much higher bitrates (quality) than even studio produced CDs.
The problems I have experienced with current digital releases of music (from any era of genre) is crummy studio mastering to begin with. If the original recording isn't great, an identical 1:1 copy in a lossless digital format can actually sound worse than a lower quality mp3 (or streaming) copy.

I understand this can be a touchy subject for some, but I have experience with both formats (digital/transistor/IC and analog/tubes) and personally prefer digital studio releases in lossless format: any music produced since the mid-90s was likely recorded digitally anyway, and anything older is usually digitally remastered prior to a new release due to degradation in the original master....

MukGyver

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta PD
Silly question. How often is carbon build up in the intake for you? My '05 Golf had 163K miles and never had intake off or cleaned. Last I checked it had some mild surface crud but nothing too serious. And I didn't get the benefit of the cleaner, lower sulfur D2 from California except for a couple months. Change adaption to limit EGR flow usage and regular "italian tune up"

Jason
I'm kind of flying blind on my soot patrol since I haven't had this PD long enough for a baseline. But I actually removed my egr block 3 days ago. I just felt like it ran a little different (worse?) with it blocked...and being winter I wanted the added warmth anyway. NOw that it's back on, no cel light on, and I plan to do what you suggest in the Summer I'll also have my VCDS by then. Thanks for the advice. Regarding the "italian tune up",.. I am mostly a hypermilier but I definitely employ that method quite frequently! :LOL:

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins

I got back into audio in a serious fashion with the resurrection of a Carver PM900. Once running I traded it for literally a truck load of tube gear. Both of us walked away from that trade saying 'sucker'. It is still in service. Finding the root cause of its failure was very educational...one bad TIP36 driver transistor. The schematic for that Carver beast was about a square yard. The tube stuff, much less parts intensive.

With car audio I am slightly more tolerant; the amount of road noise( and other noises ) precludes any realistic attempt at 'you are there' reproduction. That did not stop me earlier; EV drivers and a Blaupunkt 120 amp was more than enough...and now with the PD engine, I have injectors to upgrade ahead of the Monsoon system...LOL
cheers,
Douglas

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
I have always installed really good stereos in my cars. Yeah, cars are noisy, but cruisin' with tunes is a big deal to me. I had a jl audio xd700/5 which got overheated sitting in a parking lot with the windows closed when I was on vacation. After two years of using my money for other, useful things, like paying off my townhouse, late Fall I sprung for an HD900/5. The is the most musical, best sounding amp I've ever heard. It is just wonderful. And I can hear lyrics in songs I never could hear before, even when travelling 75 on the highway. Combined with all of the soundproofing I've done, it's a nice result. (I forget what speakers I'm running, sorry.)

I do run a tube amp setup at home, but it's lower-end stuff. I have heard truly high-end systems, and have gone to stereo shows, but that's a dream for another day.

Most modern music is horribly overproduced and overmixed, probably to sound better through crappy earphones.