2003 Wagon 5 Speed ALH 4Sale

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
$8K
Hello all,
Project completed and nothing needed,
130K verifiable miles,
5 speed, Blue, always adult owner maintained and driven, many highway miles as it served the previous owner as a commuter and I also used it as a commuter traveling from Los Angeles to Fresno weekly,
See signature below as for modifications, this car is done right and will need nothing but a loving new owner and many of miles of smiles as she has tremendous torque and passing power for those highway passes,
If there’s anything I missed, feel free to ask, i have 1 too many vehicles and I’m selling to consolidate to the right buyer.
Thanks!
Joe.

Last edited:

ktbarber

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon
Morning! This gal is the twin to my Gil that I am selling on here too :( Sounds like if I lived near you, you could have helped me fix him! Regardless, I was naturally drawn to your post as they are literally twins. I browsed the pics..can you tell me what things you have done to her? To be honest, I am unsure if I am able to buy right now, with the current sitch being what it is...but I am curious of the work shes had and any still needed..
Thank you and stay healthy! Katie

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
Your asking price is more than I paid for my 03 ALH wagon 12 years ago. Today mine has fewer miles and more upgrades, but I doubt I could get even $4k for it.

GLWS

Simon

2OO2TDI

TDI
2015 Passat DSG, 2003 Jetta Wagon 5 Speed Malone Stage 4, Wuzetem .230’s VNT17, Southbend stage 3 endurance, 21# balanced flywheel
Morning! This gal is the twin to my Gil that I am selling on here too :( Sounds like if I lived near you, you could have helped me fix him! Regardless, I was naturally drawn to your post as they are literally twins. I browsed the pics..can you tell me what things you have done to her? To be honest, I am unsure if I am able to buy right now, with the current sitch being what it is...but I am curious of the work shes had and any still needed..
Thank you and stay healthy! Katie
Hello Katie,
I am not sure if you are still interested, however the things that I’ve done to the car are, new tires, upgraded wheels, Southbend clutch, Malone stage 4 tune, three bar map, new flywheel and bigger injectors, I am not sure if I could think of anything else other than a recently changed timing belt and all the components that go along with it.
Thanks.

Joe

2OO2TDI

TDI
Your asking price is more than I paid for my 03 ALH wagon 12 years ago. Today mine has fewer miles and more upgrades, but I doubt I could get even $4k for it.

GLWS

Simon
Simon, I have 4K in recently placed parts.
I don’t know where you could get a car with low miles and recent upgrades for 4K, maybe in a dream 😴

Thanks.

Joe

crash400

Veteran Member
TDI
$8K
Hello all,
Project completed and nothing needed,
130K verifiable miles,
5 speed, Blue, always adult owner maintained and driven, many highway miles as it served the previous owner as a commuter and I also used it as a commuter traveling from Los Angeles to Fresno weekly,
See signature below as for modifications, this car is done right and will need nothing but a loving new owner and many of miles of smiles as she has tremendous torque and passing power for those highway passes,
If there’s anything I missed, feel free to ask, i have 1 too many vehicles and I’m selling to consolidate to the right buyer.
Thanks!
Joe.

Leather or cloth seats? Sunroof?

throwir

TDI
2011 Golf
Simon, I have 4K in recently placed parts.
I don’t know where you could get a car with low miles and recent upgrades for 4K, maybe in a dream 😴

Thanks.

Joe
GLWS but he does kind of have a point here; MKIVs just don't hold their value anymore like they used to pre-dieselgate and thousands of dollars in mods won't really change that. At 8K you're getting pretty close to what some of the older and higher mileage fixed Gen 1s are going for, kick in maybe $1500-$2000 extra and you could get yourself a Golf or Jetta in good shape with substantially lower mileage and years of dieselgate warranty coverage remaining instead

polaris962

TDI
A mk4 hoard
GLWS but he does kind of have a point here; MKIVs just don't hold their value anymore like they used to pre-dieselgate and thousands of dollars in mods won't really change that. At 8K you're getting pretty close to what some of the older and higher mileage fixed Gen 1s are going for, kick in maybe $1500-$2000 extra and you could get yourself a Golf or Jetta in good shape with substantially lower mileage and years of dieselgate warranty coverage remaining instead
But that’s not as rare as a clean built alh wagon that doesn’t have failure prone parts all over it!

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
Let's put this in perspective: A MKIV in the rust belt will likely need at least $2-3K in rust work to be as clean as any Cali car. A friend of mine just purchased a silver 03 Wagon that was listed on the board. Cali car, here in New England for 2years, for $5500. Pricey? For a real bone stock 130K MKIV wagon? Where else you gonna get one? Granted, $8K is a bit steep. But a rust belt buyer could bring it home and drive it for 10 years with only regular maintenance. Not a bad deal over the long run. If I was in the market, I'd be negotiating. RT

2OO2TDI

TDI
I haven’t got around to taking any interior pics, but I promise to snap a few this week.
Hope everyone had a great Christmas

crash400

Veteran Member
TDI
Let's put this in perspective: A MKIV in the rust belt will likely need at least $2-3K in rust work to be as clean as any Cali car. A friend of mine just purchased a silver 03 Wagon that was listed on the board. Cali car, here in New England for 2years, for $5500. Pricey? For a real bone stock 130K MKIV wagon? Where else you gonna get one? Granted, $8K is a bit steep. But a rust belt buyer could bring it home and drive it for 10 years with only regular maintenance. Not a bad deal over the long run. If I was in the market, I'd be negotiating. RT
I'm interested in the car. I think the other guy is right--that price is definitely high. But if he's willing to negotiate, I'll at least talk to him about it. I know how to work on an ALH/Mk IV. While I agree that's awfully close to a much newer car/warranty, I'm willing to overpay over the $4500-ish usual price to get a car I can fix myself.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
I'm interested in the car. I think the other guy is right--that price is definitely high. But if he's willing to negotiate, I'll at least talk to him about it. I know how to work on an ALH/Mk IV. While I agree that's awfully close to a much newer car/warranty, I'm willing to overpay over the $4500-ish usual price to get a car I can fix myself.
Maybe I'm a special kind of idiot but those newer cars with warranties? Yeah, guy at work lost the entire injection system on a 13 Jetta. $5K to replace it. Thankfully his insurance covered it. But if that happened and you didn't have insurance/warranty you'd be royally F'd. No thanks. I understand that limiting myself to old diesels is problematic, but I figure I can keep the old stuff running until they nail the lid on. RT

crash400

Veteran Member
TDI
I
Maybe I'm a special kind of idiot but those newer cars with warranties? Yeah, guy at work lost the entire injection system on a 13 Jetta. $5K to replace it. Thankfully his insurance covered it. But if that happened and you didn't have insurance/warranty you'd be royally F'd. No thanks. I understand that limiting myself to old diesels is problematic, but I figure I can keep the old stuff running until they nail the lid on. RT
I agree. My only real complaint with the 2003 is the lack of Bluetooth. If I could OEM+ a Bluetooth solution (and keep finding parts), it'd be the perfect car and I'd keep one forever.

keaton85

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf MK4
I

I agree. My only real complaint with the 2003 is the lack of Bluetooth. If I could OEM+ a Bluetooth solution (and keep finding parts), it'd be the perfect car and I'd keep one forever.
RCN210 does that, but your better off just getting a nice CarPlay head unit.

crash400

Veteran Member
TDI
RCN210 does that, but your better off just getting a nice CarPlay head unit.
It's been a while since I fooled with the radios--an RCN210 will fit into the Mk. IV and everything works well? What's the experience like to use, and what's it like to install? (My last project with a radio was installing an MFD-G in mine and I'm not sure I'd do that again.)

I'm even more unfamiliar with CarPlay, as far as I know that's an Apple thing. Can you give me a unit to Google?

Thanks!

CleverUserName

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 OZ Cruze CTD & 2010 JSW 6MT & 2017 GMC Canyon CCLB ATX 2.8 Duramax
It's been a while since I fooled with the radios--an RCN210 will fit into the Mk. IV and everything works well? What's the experience like to use, and what's it like to install? (My last project with a radio was installing an MFD-G in mine and I'm not sure I'd do that again.)

I'm even more unfamiliar with CarPlay, as far as I know that's an Apple thing. Can you give me a unit to Google?

Thanks!
Ive had Pioneer GPS head units in my MKIV, V TDI. If you have monsoon audio you have many options. One of my cars has a back-up camera too. You can get all those modern features GPS, BU Camera, Siri, CarPlay and android auto with a modern double din A/V receiver.

rwthomas1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta
I

I have a Monsoon unit in my car. Still sounds decent. Purchased an Aux-in adaptor that plugs into the back of the Monsoon head unit where the CD changer would. The Aux-in has a 3.5 stereo mini-jack. Then you can use any number of Bluetooth adaptors. I use a $20 Himbox cheapie from Amazon. Works pissah. My old cheapazz Android phone runs IHeart, Waze and music stored on phone. Cheap phone holder. Works for me, total investment under $100. The only thing that has failed is the suction cup on the phone holder. RT

bobbiemartin

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Tiguan TDI 4Motion, Jeep Grand Cherokee 3.0 CRD
My only real complaint with the 2003 is the lack of Bluetooth. If I could OEM+ a Bluetooth solution (and keep finding parts), it'd be the perfect car and I'd keep one forever.
As mentioned, there are lots of aftermarket radios that do most everything. However, I had a 2001 Golf I put a (nearly) factory bluetooth system in a while back. It was a bit of work and you have to hunt down a lot of parts, but it can be done. It worked surprisingly well.

Vwkaferman

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
This car is sitting in my driveway, so it’s sold. :) I probably over paid for it ($7000) but it’s the exact car I wanted. Everything works on it, items that need TLC have started to address (new shift boot installed, fixed driver side brake light). Other parts arriving soon.

Joe, meant to ask, do you have any paperwork on the Malone stuff? Ultimately I’m going to purchase their tuner to probably do some other things.

James

hskrdu

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Golf GLS 4D 5M, 2015 GSW SE 6M