Unfixable 2010 TDI Touareg

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
Hey everyone, brand new account, first post here. This will probably be long winded so please bare with me.

(This section is skippable and just gives a bit of my VW history)
First, a little about me. I'm 33, I've been a VW guy since I was 15 when my cousin bought a G60 Corrado. My first car at 16 was an 87 GTI 16v. Since then I've had an 89 GTI 16V, an 88 Scirocco 16v, a 99 GTI VR6, a 2000 S4, a 2001 A4, a 2000 Jetta 2.slow, a 2016 Golf R, and now a 2010 Touareg V6 TDI. Somewhere in there I had 2 60's splitty busses, a much loved project that never came to be. I am a VW GUY. I always thought if I ever got a tattoo my first one would be the VW and Audi rings. I've spent years (altho its been probably a decade since) hanging with DurtyDubs in Atlanta, going to Southern Volks Fest, Southern Worthersee, DurtyFest or whatever it was called, H20 in Ocean City, etc etc. That's who I am.

(The important bits)

1.)I bought a 2010 VW Touareg late in September of 2019. The emissions recall had been done April of 2019, I was the first owner since. By February of 2020 it started giving me an AdBlue warning. I've owned a 2013 Ram 2500 SLT and a 2016 Ram 2500 Laramie so DEF is no foreign concept to me. The warning on the dash said "100 miles until no restart", kinda sudden I thought but no big. Bought a jug when I got around to it, went to add it, DEF tank was FULL. By this time I was down to under 50 miles no restart. I called my closest VW dealership (about 50miles away) and they told me it would be several months before they could even look at it. Called my 2nd closest VW Dealership and they could get to it the next day. I arranged a tow truck and as we loaded the Touareg onto the truck, the DEF light went away. Everything was already arranged so I sent it to VW anyway. After they inspected it they said the tech found a "puddy like substance" clogging the DEF injector and asked what kind of DEF I had been using. They were already gearing me up for an almost $600 repair, I may copy/paste from the email in a later message. Obviously I sorted it, the tank was dropped and cleaned, tank heater replaced, AdBlu added, and DEF injector replaced all under extended emissions warranty. Car was returned to me late Feb.

2.) In April I got another AdBlu warning. Popped open the tank, it was full. I ordered my first VagCom to do the DEF tank reset and not deal with the dealership's silly turn around time. Tank reset didn't work. This time I had enough mileage to drive it down, so me and my wife took off early one morning and brought it to the dealer. We waited almost an entire day for them to say they couldn't fix it that day, they gave me a base model Nissan Versa to take home. Whatever, I had fun with it, car was getting fixed, no worries on my end. Spent about 4 weeks there until the final remedy was replacing the ECU. Got the car back in May.

3.) In mid August I got an "Engine Fault Workshop" code on the dash. Car goes into limp mode and that warning flashes and beeps in the screen. After a VagCom scan I see that fuel pressure is dropping. After you cycle the ignition, issue goes away and everything is fine, until you get a little agressive w the throttle, pops back up. I call up my dealer service department and schedule to have it in. My Touareg went in on August 20th. Spoiler alert, its December 23rd and I still don't have it back. From my research it seemed to be a high pressure fuel pump issue and I relayed all info to the service department. They confirmed to me it was the HPFP and they'd be replacing it.

4.) Sept. 14th i was told my car was ready to go. Drove down (about an hour and 15mins) to pick it up. About an hour on my way home, speed up to pass someone, "Engine Fault Workshop" and limp mode. I immediately pull over and call service and tell them I'm on my way back. This time I get a rental car (the extended emissions warranty is the only warranty from VW to require a loaner, AFAIK).

5.) The story gets really messy from here and isnt really relevant to what I'm dealing with now so I'll leave it out for now. Suffice to say that I spend the next 2months going back and forth with the dealer until I finally contact VW Customee Care. After telling my story there (we were 2 days away from my car having been in service for 14weeks) the Customer Care rep elevates my issue to VW RCM (Regional Case Manager).

6.) VW RCMs even have problems communicating with and getting info from the dealer's service dpt. They begin retelling me the same sad excuses I get from service. After 2 weeks of this mess I end up making enough noise to have direct contact with one of the 2 RCM supervisors for my region. He has been as helpful as he can be, although what he can actually do for me is very limited, but I have no complaints with him or his department (even though I have had some fairly heated conversations with them).

7.) Where we stand as of today, December 23rd, is that the RCM supervisor is working with the TDI Litigation Department to buy back the vehicle. This has been in process for about 2 weeks now, and that department just informed the RCM Supervisor today that they will be vacationing until Jan. 8th and to hell with me and my car that has been down for over 4months. The service Department is to a point of throwing random parts to see if it can be fixed. The service department has the RQM (I've been told this department is their corporate master techs who assist with vehicles that can't be figured out) on the line and still no one can get this Touareg running. Tomorrow marks 18 weeks I've been without my vehicle and as of right now there appears to be no end in sight.

EDIT: Forgot to add what has been replaced.
LIST OF REPLACED PARTS

DEF tank
DEF tank heater
DEF injector
2 Nox sensors
ECU
In tank fuel pump
HPFP
All fuel lines
Fuel Filter
Fuel Rail
Fuel Injectors
Glow Plugs
DPF
Turbo
I'm sure there's more but thats off the top of my head.

!!!!!QUESTIONS!!!!

I would like to ask, has ANYONE HERE ever been involved with anything like this? Does anyone have any sort of experience in a situation like this? What can I expect, what should I be aware of? Clearly I've been contacting a few attorneys and I'm thinking it may be the time to pull the trigger and weigh out my legal options but from you guys, can anyone give me any insight as to how your situation went? Has anyone had a used TDI bought back by VW? Any help or info is beyond appreciated.

I have tried to make this post as calm and collected as possible, I have left out lots of details and names, but I am beyond furious. I'm exhausted, I'm beat, I've gone thru a whole industrial sized bottle of excedrin migraine, and I'm absolutely terrified that my family is going to get F$%@*& when this is all said and done

If you read all of this, thank you so much for your time. And to everyone, MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
And that, kids, is why deletes are so popular on CR TDIs post fix! ;)

Lawyer up I suppose. It sucks.

We really do not know the details of what the problem actually may be, but to answer your question, you are certainly not alone in a post-fix TDI basket case. Cannot say much about a buy back as you purchased a 9-year-old vehicle.

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
And that, kids, is why deletes are so popular on CR TDIs post fix! ;)

Lawyer up I suppose. It sucks.

We really do not know the details of what the problem actually may be, but to answer your question, you are certainly not alone in a post-fix TDI basket case. Cannot say much about a buy back as you purchased a 9-year-old vehicle.
A delete would not have fixed any of these issues, in fact would have voided any warranty option i have. A delete would have done nothing for a DEF countdown timer that VW couldn't even reset, it was only fixed with a new ECU (~$4800). It would have done nothing to fix the HPFP that failed, or the Turbo that was replaced.

But I absolutely, 110% agree with deleting. The first tow truck it got loaded on me and the driver had a long conversation about DPFs. His company sends tow trucks to disaster areas and said they had 2 of their 3 brand new trucks w all the emissions crap have failures on their way out to the last disaster area. My 2 Cummins never once had an emissions issue (or any issue for that matter), but I was looking at deletes nonetheless!

Also, I'm not looking for answers to the problem, the car is a loss at this point as far as I'm concerned. This post or more a warning and also asking if there is anyone else out there who has seen a resolution to a situation like this, and if so, what was it?

Also, regardless of how old this car is, it has a FACTORY WARRANTY that has JUST BEGUN that is unable to repair the vehicle. What do you think should be the proper course of action for VW?

oilhammer

TDI
SCR delete most certainly WILL fix the DEF issue...forever... it won't ever use nor care about Adblue ever again. The tank, the heaters, the pump, the lines, the injector, the NOx sensors... all just along for the ride.

The warranty is a joke, because it doesn't do anything to 100% remedy the issue (otherwise, you would not be posting). What I think VoA should do is irrelevant, I am not the one making that decision.

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
I certainly didn't mean to come across as salty, I was asking a sincere question. My apologies if it seemed that way.

A delete will absolutely remove all of those peripheral things from being detected (like nox sensors and def levels) but the issue was something inside the ECU itself, so even if the DEF tank was completely gone and all accompanying stuff, from MY UNDERSTANDING it seems that issue still would have popped up. I know all that stuff gets coded out so maybe that particular situation WOULD have been remedied by a delete, but the issues its having now most certainly wouldn't have been solved.

And I just mean, what do you think VW should do? They've warrantied my car until April of 2023 or 160kmiles to fix basically ANYTHING thats wrong with it mechanically, these issues are very much covered by the extended emissions warranty, and they apparently can't be fixed. I guess posing the question "what do you think they should do" is pointless, and I didn't mean it in any sort if smart-ass kind of way.

oilhammer

TDI
It would seem obvious that, if it is warranted to be fixed, and they cannot fix it, then it should fall under some sort of lemon law clause as it relates to warranty items and should be bought back. But what is obvious to me is of no concern to VoA. And an "issue inside the ECU itself" should be resolved with a new ECU, which should not be unavailable (and I seriously doubt that is the solution anyway, as they'd clearly have already tried this I would think).

You are asking for advice on a problem that we really do not have all the information about, and it doesn't sound like you do either, just whatever lines of BS they are giving you.

Trust me, the dealers are sandbagged with these Dieselgate cars. They HATE them like poison. And they are caught up in it and don't want to be. And they have their hands tied as to what the "higher ups" allow them to do, and what they tell them to do.

I'm Volkswagen's biggest fan, but a Touareg would probably never grace my driveway, especially one of the Dieselgate cursed ones, ESPECIALLY one of the early ones like yours. I'd try and get them to buy it back. Even if it takes a lawyer.

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
They don't know what's going on and have been throwing parts at this. No evidence that there was anything wrong with the stuff they replaced (big ticket items like ECU and HPFP).
But they are working on your car and willing to find a solution for you, though at snail pace.

Since it seems you have other cars, I would not stress that much and just wait for them to come up with a solution/fix. If they do fix the car, then you can think about a delete or just get rid of the car.

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
It would seem obvious that, if it is warranted to be fixed, and they cannot fix it, then it should fall under some sort of lemon law clause as it relates to warranty items and should be bought back. But what is obvious to me is of no concern to VoA. And an "issue inside the ECU itself" should be resolved with a new ECU, which should not be unavailable (and I seriously doubt that is the solution anyway, as they'd clearly have already tried this I would think).

You are asking for advice on a problem that we really do not have all the information about, and it doesn't sound like you do either, just whatever lines of BS they are giving you.

Trust me, the dealers are sandbagged with these Dieselgate cars. They HATE them like poison. And they are caught up in it and don't want to be. And they have their hands tied as to what the "higher ups" allow them to do, and what they tell them to do.

I'm Volkswagen's biggest fan, but a Touareg would probably never grace my driveway, especially one of the Dieselgate cursed ones, ESPECIALLY one of the early ones like yours. I'd try and get them to buy it back. Even if it takes a lawyer.
No you are absolutely right, buddy! I've definitely got the feeling service wants nothing to do w me and I certainly don't blame them. Once warranties and VTA get involved the dealer itself has very little skin in the game. Obviously I have no experience with dieselgate vehicles until this one though! And same here, man, VW's fan boy haha.

Okay so about the ECU, that's done and over, that's what they had to do to get rid of the countdown. I've only provided that info just to give a full history of the ~15 months I've owned it and then mentioned that if I hadve deleted I would never had that ECU covered like it was. But perhaps it never would've NEEDED replacement, I guess we'll never know lol. I don't believe that has anything to do with its current issues, sorry if I wasn't clear on that! But hey while I have your attention and you're responding- you seem to have some experience w deleted cars - I WANT TO SAY I actually discovered the AdBlu countdown reset in a thread about deleting. Like after you delete you use vagcom to set the tank to 100%. But I guess if no one with a deleted vehicle has ever had a countdown issue I'm wrong about that, just curious!

Just to be clear, I'm not asking for any advice on the vehicle or technicalities of it. My main concern is finding if there's anyone else who has had a situation where a TDI covered by warranty couldn't be fixed, and if so what was the outcome? But you're totally correct about me not having all the info, I'm pretty up to date right now but I've gone months with only part of the story. Like I said there's a lot of details I've left out, just trying to get the gist of it out there as it pertains to an "unfixable" TDI.

But thanks for all your responses, I really do appreciate it!

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
They don't know what's going on and have been throwing parts at this. No evidence that there was anything wrong with the stuff they replaced (big ticket items like ECU and HPFP).
But they are working on your car and willing to find a solution for you, though at snail pace.

Since it seems you have other cars, I would not stress that much and just wait for them to come up with a solution/fix. If they do fix the car, then you can think about a delete or just get rid of the car.
Absolutely! I have a rental car I have been in for 100days. I am very thankful that I have an a to b vehicle, don't get me wrong. My issue is I paid for and continue to pay insurance on a vehicle that is way nicer and way better equipped than what I have. Now thats just me being silly after 100 days but the MAIN concern is that I use my TDI to haul/tow, something I have been completely unable to do for the last 18weeks.

But you are absolutely right, I shouldn't be concerne, but we are only at this point because for the past 4 weeks I have been ON IT. There are a lot of specifics I didn't post, I don't want to blame and point fingers.

As far as the ECU I can't say. The HPFP I CAN say though, that was definitely AN issue at least. After all the fuel system was replaced they started getting a boost code. They forced a regen. It "didn't take", so they replaced the DPF. The boost code never went away so they replaced the turbo. After that they test drove and got the "Engine Fault Workshop" code again. Even in that string of events im leaving out lots of things that went on to GET those things to happen, but thats the bulk of it. But honestly, a lot of that is sounding more and more like BS the more I go over it. I have a notebook FULL of dates, times, communications back and forth, I've been documenting everything.

Nelsonk93

TDI
Touareg
I am going through a similar issue that you had initially with your DEF system. Dealer has my car saying its a NOx sensor issue and wont be covered by warranty because I used non VW Def. Did you have an issues pushing back on VW to pay for this known issue with their NOx sensor? I have a 2012 VW Touareg TDI under the extended emissions warranty as well. I find it hard to believe my 2.5 gallons of non VW DEF caused a NOx sensor issue in a car with 124,000 miles. Thanks!

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
I hate to hear that buddy! As far as my particular issue they definitely TRIED to pull that on me but after I informed them I had only owned the car a few months and never added any at all they backed off with it.

I'm not sure about your situation, have you actually TOLD them that you used something other than exorbitantly priced AdBlu? I'm not sure if there's anything explicitly stating that you have to use VWs brand DEF or risk voiding your warranty, although I'm well aware of the implication by the service departments. I've read over my warranty pamphlet many times and never seen it required, but maybe that information is in the original literature? I know that most DEF is made to the same exact ISO standard as Adblu, its the SAME STUFF so it really is a silly argument.

The production, handling and transportation of Diesel Exhaust Fluid (DEF) are governed by the ISO 22241 standard. ... Urea concentration: DEF must have a urea concentration of 32.5% by weight. This concentration was selected because it is has the lowest freezing temperature, 12°F (-11°C).P

Just quick Google info.

Possibly try contacting VW Customer Care, their number is 1-800-822-8987. Press 1 for English, 3 for service, 3 again for service IIRC lol. If I recall anything of use I will DEF (lol) let you know

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
Might want to read through the fine print of the TDI settlement, IIRC there was some language in there requiring a buyback if they couldn't fix a vehicle under the emissions warranty.
Thank you very much for that info, ill have to find the full script somewhere and comb it over. Thanks!

tactdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005.5 Jetta
I am going through a similar issue that you had initially with your DEF system. Dealer has my car saying its a NOx sensor issue and wont be covered by warranty because I used non VW Def. Did you have an issues pushing back on VW to pay for this known issue with their NOx sensor? I have a 2012 VW Touareg TDI under the extended emissions warranty as well. I find it hard to believe my 2.5 gallons of non VW DEF caused a NOx sensor issue in a car with 124,000 miles. Thanks!
DEF is DEF, it is all the same. Have them show you the MSDS Data Sheet of the VW DEF, and compare that to a retail purchased DEF product. MSDS Data Sheet.

What does the Owners Manual say concerning the type (incorrect since DEF is DEF) of DEF to use?

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6

ticaf

Veteran Member
TDI
Stock 2015 Golf SW S Manual TDI
DEF do have a shelf life though. It's possible the DEF sensor will come ON if it's too old. (There is a sensor to prevent people just pouring water in there). Don't think it will damage the car though.

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
DEF do have a shelf life though. It's possible the DEF sensor will come ON if it's too old. (There is a sensor to prevent people just pouring water in there). Don't think it will damage the car though.
Yessir, 100%. It actually has a fairly short shelf life for a product like that and a pretty bad freezing point as well. DEF is a hell of a thing!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I usually buy a fresh jug of DEF at Walmart when I change the oil. They seem to have a pretty rapid turn over what wilt all of the Diesel Truck drivers that have not yet modded their trucks buying it. At least I have been in several times when they were temporarily out of stock.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
While I can't comment on the specific fault here, I can say a contributing factor is the modern trend of isolating the car from the service techs. The scan tool only shows so much information - there's more going on "under the hood" in the ECU. If a tech from Bosch was to look at this situation, and step through the actual code execution, I suspect the fault could be found.

This is likely a corner case where some hardware was not working at 100%, and that is getting the software into an odd state which makes it think the NOx control isn't working. About the only thing not replaced on your list is the block / pistons, and valves so I'm not sure what could even be at fault here.

I wonder if say the CAN gateway or other module also "remembers" a fault state, and is poisoning the memory of the replacement ECUs?

-J

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
While I can't comment on the specific fault here, I can say a contributing factor is the modern trend of isolating the car from the service techs. The scan tool only shows so much information - there's more going on "under the hood" in the ECU. If a tech from Bosch was to look at this situation, and step through the actual code execution, I suspect the fault could be found.

This is likely a corner case where some hardware was not working at 100%, and that is getting the software into an odd state which makes it think the NOx control isn't working. About the only thing not replaced on your list is the block / pistons, and valves so I'm not sure what could even be at fault here.

I wonder if say the CAN gateway or other module also "remembers" a fault state, and is poisoning the memory of the replacement ECUs?

-J
Thats an interesting way to look at it for sure. I could see something like that being a very likely possibility at this point just due to how much even VW's VTA seems to be scratching their heads. This whole time I've looked at it more like a lesson in incompetence but maybe it's a real legit problem.

The block has been pressure checked for "possible internal engine failure" and one cylinder came back at 38bar (should be 33-35bar from what I've been told) which lead VTA to say the pressure check equipment was faulty. It seems an accurate pressure check never happened, they moved right into replacing glow plug connectors...

JM Popaleetus

Veteran Member
TDI
Signature.
I usually buy a fresh jug of DEF at Walmart when I change the oil. They seem to have a pretty rapid turn over what wilt all of the Diesel Truck drivers that have not yet modded their trucks buying it. At least I have been in several times when they were temporarily out of stock.
I too have found Walmart to be both the best source, and cheapest for DEF.

Except for the one time I snuck into the local truck stop:

DEF is DEF, it is all the same.
Correct. It legally cannot be called DEF if it’s not adherent to ISO 22241: https://www.api.org/products-and-services/diesel-exhaust-fluid/#tab-def-aus-32

32.5% Urea and 67.5% Purified Water. Period.

nancameron

TDI
2016 Q5 TDI, 2016 Touareg TDI
Personally owned a 2010 Toureg TDI and experienced this exact issue prior to selling it back to VAG. The dealership TDI expert started replacing parts $1000 a time trying to fix the darn thing. Meanwhile, the death clock continued to count down. The recommended fix then became new sensors only found in Germany costing another $2000 and a 2 week wait for delivery. Parked it and bought another car.

I can't agree more that if you have the opportunity to delete the DEF system, do so. You are only setting yourself up for failure by trying to fix it and you will be several thousand $$$ poorer making the decision to delete months from now.

Mythdoc

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg, 2015 Q5, 2015 Golf
It was and is, IMHO, a mistake that some owners of 2010-2012 3.0 TDI’s chose to have the so-called fix done rather than selling back the vehicle to VWAG. These vehicles are basically time bombs for emissions problems. The more recent MY’s are better (though by no means trouble free). They had about sorted everything out when they were caught cheating. If it were mine, I’d insist on a buyback and then go my merry way.

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
Personally owned a 2010 Toureg TDI and experienced this exact issue prior to selling it back to VAG. The dealership TDI expert started replacing parts $1000 a time trying to fix the darn thing. Meanwhile, the death clock continued to count down. The recommended fix then became new sensors only found in Germany costing another $2000 and a 2 week wait for delivery. Parked it and bought another car.

I can't agree more that if you have the opportunity to delete the DEF system, do so. You are only setting yourself up for failure by trying to fix it and you will be several thousand $$$ poorer making the decision to delete months from now.
How did the process go as far as VAG buying it back? Or did you just trade it in or what? Right now my case is with VWoA's CR&R Department (Customer Resolution and Retention). They said on Dec 18th they'd have an answer by Dec 22-23rd. On Dec 22nd they said they'd have an answer Jan 8th, and on Jan 8th they said they'd have an answer on Jan 12th... My car IS 10 years old but it DOES have a factory warranty that doesn't seem to be able to fix it, I think I'm very much in a gray area with lemon laws and such.

As far as deleting, yes you're right. Deleting is the way to go with any diesels!

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
It was and is, IMHO, a mistake that some owners of 2010-2012 3.0 TDI’s chose to have the so-called fix done rather than selling back the vehicle to VWAG. These vehicles are basically time bombs for emissions problems. The more recent MY’s are better (though by no means trouble free). They had about sorted everything out when they were caught cheating. If it were mine, I’d insist on a buyback and then go my merry way.
In the official literature they say straight up that those earlier models can't even be brought in to full compliance, just made better. The later ones CAN be brought into full compliance. You gotta wonder what all they really had to do to these earlier ones to get them as close as possible, seems to really be taking its toll on the vehicles. Maybe if it was deleted none of these issues would have ever come up, I don't know...

nancameron

TDI
The buyback program window may have closed on you. After the VAG emissions lawsuit, we received paperwork from VAG giving us the option to sell the vehicle back to them or keep it, receive the "fix" and some money. Once we were in the system, we traveled to the dealership they identified to process paperwork. Shortly thereafter, we were notified by the dealer to bring the car to them and pick up a check.

My experience dealing with VAG customer service was very aggravating but the buyback program, albeit slow, worked fine.

Guessing here but if you either bought the car after the "fix" or accepted the terms to keep and "fix" it, you probably are stuck repairing the Adblue system on your own. The only thing I can think might help is that there should have been a factory recall on the DEF system...I don't know of anyone who hasn't had to make the repairs you are experiencing now.

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
The buyback program window may have closed on you. After the VAG emissions lawsuit, we received paperwork from VAG giving us the option to sell the vehicle back to them or keep it, receive the "fix" and some money. Once we were in the system, we traveled to the dealership they identified to process paperwork. Shortly thereafter, we were notified by the dealer to bring the car to them and pick up a check.

My experience dealing with VAG customer service was very aggravating but the buyback program, albeit slow, worked fine.

Guessing here but if you either bought the car after the "fix" or accepted the terms to keep and "fix" it, you probably are stuck repairing the Adblue system on your own. The only thing I can think might help is that there should have been a factory recall on the DEF system...I don't know of anyone who hasn't had to make the repairs you are experiencing now.
The car is a 2010, I bought in late 2019. Since February 2020 it has been to VW 3 separate times (and from VWoA it has had 5 tickets open on it during those times) for a grand total of something like 26weeks+. It's not a buyback as far as the dieselgate issue.

The reason it would be a buyback in my situation is because it has a FACTORY WARRANTY that cannot fix the problem. It has spent ALMOST 21 weeks in service on this last trip. At a certain point VW has to cry uncle and say to hell w it. If they still feel it can be fixed I still have over 2 years of warranty left, we'll see who gives in first.

nancameron

TDI
The car is a 2010, I bought in late 2019. Since February 2020 it has been to VW 3 separate times (and from VWoA it has had 5 tickets open on it during those times) for a grand total of something like 26weeks+. It's not a buyback as far as the dieselgate issue.

Understand and would hate to be in your shoes.

I hope they are providing a loaner car. See if you can demand a comparable SUV as a loaner. That puts pressure on the dealer. Don’t be nice to the dealer, they are directly involved too. Hang tough because their game is to slow down and hold out as long as they can. I see a lawsuit brewing.

NeedyTouareg

TDI
2010 Touareg TDI V6
Thanks I appreciate that haha. It has def been a rough experience. This Thursday marks 21 weeks, in 8 days we will be at a full 5 months.

Yes, I am in a rental car from Enterprise. It's a smoked in, burn holes in the seats, smells like an ashtray, base ass 2020 Rav4 and I HATE IT! At this point I don't think I would care what I'm in, I wouldn't like it. It really is so weird just hopping in this car in the morning and going to work, I've been driving it so long. It's definitely "first world problems" but it's an incredibly weird, captive feeling. You feel almost held hostage, there's so many things that I need to be able to do, hence why I purchased an AWD diesel SUV, but I can't. And its not like I can just move on, my freaking car is being held up and in its current state it's worthless so I can't just say to hell w it and sell it. I'm STUCK in this Rav4 for now and it is a terrible feeling.

Today is the day they've given for an answer. Let's see if they push me back anymore or if they finally tell me something good or bad.

KITEWAGON

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Touareg Exec, 2014 JSW
If I were you I would look up the buyback value on your Touareg that was provided during the dieselgate scandal and attempt to get that $ amount from VW. I don't have a copy handy, but you should be able to find one on the web. My guess is that its a $30-35k value or something around that.

Also, if you don't like your offer I strongly advise getting a lawyer. I believe that the Dieselgate emissions warranty gives you a very strong ground to get properly compensated.

And unless this is resolved to your satisfaction ASAP, I'd also demand an equittable rental car. I think they ought to have you driving a new Atlas while you wait.