Mazda (finally) confirms a CX-5 diesel this summer

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Mazda's sales goal for diesel CX-5 is 1,000. This may be a very limited release.
Would that be monthly, annually, or simply the total number they plan to sell? Do you, by any chance, have a source for this info?

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Would that be monthly, annually, or simply the total number they plan to sell? Do you, by any chance, have a source for this info?
https://www.automobilemag.com/news/2019-maxda-cx-5-diesel-skyactiv-d-review-specs-price/
Mazda expects to sell 1,000 of the diesel CX-5s in the U.S., and after those are gone, who knows? Its compression-ignition gasoline Skyactiv-X engines due to roll out soon in the 3 compact car are designed to provide Zoom Zoom performance with turbodiesel fuel efficiency. I can't guess what kind of towing capacity a CX-5 with the Skyactiv gas engine might provide, though I'm willing to bet that for most enthusiasts, it will be worth the wait.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
I appreciate your response, Tin Man. At first, I thought it would be the monthly figure since they sell about 150,000 of the CX-5s annually. Selling 12,000 diesels annually would be a reasonable percentage of the total. But the article is clear that the 1,000 is the total number they plan to sell here. If that is truly what Mazda plans to do, then their executives must be smoking some first-class stuff. How can they possibly turn profit on such small volume? It seems that Mazda really expects this whole diesel idea to fizzle out in a few months, never to be heard from again.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Reads like it is set up to fail.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Current issue of Car & Driver has as short review of the diesel. What you'd expect, except in their FE loop it got 34 MPG, over the EPA highway estimate. Actually that's not too bad as C&D is notorious for flogging their cars.

Tin Man

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Daughter's: 2004 NB TDI PD GLS DSG (gone to pasture)
Current issue of Car & Driver has as short review of the diesel. What you'd expect, except in their FE loop it got 34 MPG, over the EPA highway estimate. Actually that's not too bad as C&D is notorious for flogging their cars.
34 mpg sounds very excellent for such a vehicle. My 535d averages 36 mpg on the computer which I found to be pessimistic when calculating it myself.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
From a FE point of view, for an SUV/CUV w/ automatic transmission, the now defunct GM Equinox diesel was a winner averaging almost 37 MPG (according to Fuelly for the 2018 model).

Coldarcluck

TDI
I know this thread is old. Just joined this forum. Read through this and thought I would share about Mazda’s CX-5 diesel is the US. I bought one new on December 2019 for 33700(what they were going for at that time(not much interest in them)). The car itself is great. Inside and out it’s very high quality. IMO one of the best SUVs you can buy. I have tracked the fuel consumption over since I bought it(I’m at 16000 miles) and I’ve averaged 30. Most of my driving is hilly up and down curvy 55mph speed limit county highway. When I do longer trips on a freeway it’s more 32-34. I definitely intend to at the very least tune it once the warranty is up. It ought to get better fuel economy and be a little more peppy than it is. And a tune will definitely help.

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
Would you buy one again?
I've desired Mazda6 diesel for years. Mazda received emissions certification on the 6. Uncertain if Mazda6 will ever be offered with diesel. Or if CX-5 will ever be offered with diesel again.

Coldarcluck

TDI
Would you buy one again?
I've desired Mazda6 diesel for years. Mazda received emissions certification on the 6. Uncertain if Mazda6 will ever be offered with diesel. Or if CX-5 will ever be offered with diesel again.
Definitely would buy again. Very high on Mazda in general. It’s like Acura, Lexus, Audi, but at Honda, Toyota, VW price range depending on what trim you get. The Diesel engine originally had problems, but they have had a long time to get it right. According to a Mazda tech in Australia that deals with them more. He believes the had the issues ironed out starting in the 2017 year models over there. I’m under belief that we will get the 6 with a diesel. There is also talk about them getting an inline 6 diesel with rwd in the future. But who knows.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Would you buy one again?
Mazda 6 wagon diesel! Now you have a winner that will not come to North America. Too efficient for its size/cargo/price. And no, we cannot import this one either:

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
My father was looking forward to a diesel cx5 for a while, but the skyactiv G motors are so good. Diesel doesn't make much sense for the CX-5. Maybe for towing? He ended up with a 2.5 gas one and is very happy with it. Same thing with the vw 1.4t, it's torque and hp curve are tdi like. And fuel economy too. Amazing what these new generation of gas motors can do. I look at it as a positive, the used diesels are always going to be there.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
He waited for YEARS actually before giving in. Test drive a 2.5 skyactive G if you get the chance. Its pretty tq'y for a 4 cylinder gas motor.

Coldarcluck

TDI
He waited for YEARS actually before giving in. Test drive a 2.5 skyactive G if you get the chance. Its pretty tq'y for a 4 cylinder gas motor.
The gas version is very good. The whole car is fantastic. If you look at the euro stats vs US on the diesel.. it’s very detuned, but I still like it. Sounds great and they just aren’t making many diesels anymore. I’m the type to keep one for a very long time so I wanted a diesel.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
The gas version is very good. The whole car is fantastic. If you look at the euro stats vs US on the diesel.. it’s very detuned, but I still like it. Sounds great and they just aren’t making many diesels anymore. I’m the type to keep one for a very long time so I wanted a diesel.
It is unfortunate the design of these CUVs/SUVs. A lot of waste of metal for the looks but you end up with such a small cargo space :( Compare the Mazda CX-5 to the Mazda 5 (we have a 2006 model) and is night and day in terms of efficient vehicle space design.

Coldarcluck

TDI
It is unfortunate the design of these CUVs/SUVs. A lot of waste of metal for the looks but you end up with such a small cargo space :( Compare the Mazda CX-5 to the Mazda 5 (we have a 2006 model) and is night and day in terms of efficient vehicle space design.
Maybe so, but for us it’s plenty big. I’d rather have looks than an ugly car. Need more space I would have bought a cx9. Tried to convince the wife to go look at a TDI Touareg but she didn’t like the looks and couldn’t find one anywhere close.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
When we bought the CRV years back, my wife refused to look at the Tiguan becasue, in her words, it looked too much like teh Golf on bigger wheels. We walked past one last night and she said, that's a cute car, maybe we should look at one. I guess ~13 years of autodesign can change some peoples thoughts. With a second grandchild on the way, we're starting to debate the need of something more capable of fitting two car seats.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
My buddy has a cx9. I like those too. I agree with you the format of the mazda5 is better for some uses than the cx, including mine.. but the mzr isn't as good a motor as the skyactiv motors. And N American market wont support a mazda5 unfortunately. I love sliding doors. I guess they get a bad rap because "minivan" image problems. They just make so much sense for dense urban parking like what I have to deal with.

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
My buddy has a cx9. I like those too. I agree with you the format of the mazda5 is better for some uses than the cx, including mine.. but the mzr isn't as good a motor as the skyactiv motors. And N American market wont support a mazda5 unfortunately. I love sliding doors. I guess they get a bad rap because "minivan" image problems. They just make so much sense for dense urban parking like what I have to deal with.
Good comments. The Mazda 5 was released elsewhere with the Skyactiv motors (plus the diesel version of course).

Another well designed car in my view is the VW Touran. No sliding doors for the model I drove a few years ago in Europe, but still a very optimized design in my view. It reminds me of the older Honda Odyssey.

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
The mazda gas turbo 2.5 is wonderful.. even on the 87 octane low hp tune the upper rev power is adequate and lower revs torque is just amazing. I have road tripped one, and for a 300 tq 220 hp motor the hwy economy is great if you drive carefully. I've done 30 mpg on trips. Which is great for a 7 place suv. The only downside is that upper rpm 220hp when you downshift for a pass but the trade off is worthwhile for the economy and torque.

The 13 to 1 compression non boosted 2.5 has less hp and tq, but similarly high economy. This too runs on 87 even with that compression! I have road tripped this one also. My family are fans of economical diesels but honestly the gas skyactiv motors are so good that oil dilution, emissions, marketing, or whatever the reason was they delayed bringing them to NA market.. We do not regret not being able to get the diesels.

The doors on the 9 are huge and so terrible for tight parking.

Dan Whitley

TDI
Volkswagen Audi 2.5 R5 TDI CR
Well, it doesn't look bad. It isn't a bad car at all. I admit the stock wheels and rims are a bit impractical, which is why I would suggest replacing them with mud tires and wheels instead. Other than that, it's all good.

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
When we bought the CRV years back, my wife refused to look at the Tiguan becasue, in her words, it looked too much like teh Golf on bigger wheels. We walked past one last night and she said, that's a cute car, maybe we should look at one. I guess ~13 years of autodesign can change some peoples thoughts. With a second grandchild on the way, we're starting to debate the need of something more capable of fitting two car seats.
Tiguan 2.0 grew into correct proportions for the compact CUV class (CR-V, RAV4, Equinox, etc.) - 1st gen was too small and too euro centric for the US market. Not to mention fuel economy was horrific compared to everyone else.

I had a 2020 or 2021 Tiguan S as a loaner for about a week and can say the back seat is cavernous. VW even squeezed a 3rd row on FWD models - I looked at it with the 3rd row deployed on my loaner and its a small kids only affair. :ROFLMAO: I would recommend getting a very good test drive in with the Tiguan, the engine was Jekyll and Hyde I am guessing from the "Budack" cycle - hard to explain but imagine really bad turbo lag.