CP3 Conversion Head Count

Have you replaced your CP3 or had an issue with it?

• Had issues and replaced with another CP4

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat, 2013 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
I plan on keeping my wagen for many years and I am struggling with deciding if I should replace the poorly designed CP4 pump or just run it.

The car now has 71,000 miles with no issues but I've read stories of them going without warning or obvious cause.

What have your experiences been?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
I did it to my stage 3 A3 TDI (to include getting the tune adjusted to compensate for the new pump). No issues, it's great.
I'll be doing it to my stage 2 2014 sportwagen when I do an early timing belt change this december.

Nemo312

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI
I put in my cp3 a couple months ago. I got it from Aurelian, he has been super helpful and the cp3 was cheap! No real change in drivability or performance now, it was in preparation of my 2060vklr that should be here in a week or two!

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I put in my cp3 a couple months ago. I got it from Aurelian, he has been super helpful and the cp3 was cheap! No real change in drivability or performance now, it was in preparation of my 2060vklr that should be here in a week or two!
Would I be able to contact Aurelian for some help and to purchase a pump?

Thank you!

Nemo312

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI
Would I be able to contact Aurelian for some help and to purchase a pump?

Thank you!
Yeah he is pretty active on this forum, his username is Macradiators.com. But the easiest way to message him is through messenger or his Facebook page

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
I did it to my stage 3 A3 TDI (to include getting the tune adjusted to compensate for the new pump). No issues, it's great.
I'll be doing it to my stage 2 2014 sportwagen when I do an early timing belt change this december.
Did you have Malone adjust your stage 2 tune after you had the CP3 installed?

Nemo312

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI
I did not, I have the slightest hesitation in 3rd gear sometime that only showed up after the swap, but they already have my stock turbo pushed pretty hard so I figured I wouldn't bother with a retune until the new turbo goes in.

97B4TDi

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh ok; so you already had them adjust their “cookie cutter” Stage 2 tune for a bit of extra power.

That’s interesting.. mind sharing a few details on what you had them tweak and what kind of numbers you estimate you’re producing compared to their claimed regular Stage 2 tune?

tjg

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 TDI A3, '14 TDI Sportwagen
Not yet... When I do install the CP3 on my stage 2, I'll do some data logging and send the files to Malone to make any necessary tweaks.

I did it for my stage 3 and it was super easy and straightforward

Nemo312

TDI
2013 VW Golf TDI
Oh ok; so you already had them adjust their “cookie cutter” Stage 2 tune for a bit of extra power.

That’s interesting.. mind sharing a few details on what you had them tweak and what kind of numbers you estimate you’re producing compared to their claimed regular Stage 2 tune?
I went stage 2 before I deleted, so when I had them retune for the deletes we turned it up as much as they say is still safe. I am not sure exactly what was tweaked. The numbers are probably just a couple percent more than the standard stage 2. I dont know if I would recommend it though as I am hitting my egt limit really fast and cutting power quickly even when it isnt hot outside.

PRY4SNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Touareg Execline
@97B4TDi If it's possible you should add another option on the poll:

Haven't upgraded yet but plan on doing so in the future.

I think the earliest cars were most susceptible, the 2009/10 cars being the worst. If you're newer than that I'd probably just focus on other things and take care of the CP3 upgrade when you do a timing belt or go stage 3+ and need extra fuel.

farnhamassoc

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta tdi, 09 TDI SPORTWAGEN 2011 Audi a3 TDI. VW caddy turbo diesel... Various vw split window busses
converted still working out OTHER problems with the car. Pump works great. FYI need to bypass the #2 fuel pump or your fuel rail pressure with spike.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
hmmmm where did you get CP3 from? That may be the issue, how do I know? it was the danged fuel meter valve. my first CP3 and 2nd CP3 had wrong meter valve, it caused pisspoor acceleration all the way and awful MPG and so many more.

once I put correct fuel meter valve, she ran flawlessly. no tuning needed.

of course remove the aux pump that's on the top passenger side of your engine. its a slight weight removal and cleaner look of your engine. :)

converted still working out OTHER problems with the car. Pump works great. FYI need to bypass the #2 fuel pump or your fuel rail pressure with spike.

calimustang

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (buyback, RIP), 2014 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI, 2013 Jetta TDI.
did the CP3 swap on Feb 2019 after 5 hpfp failures and 6 months later at 20k-25k miles. now 95k miles trouble free. (70k miles since the swap with Xman CR170 turbo installed)