FS: 2005 Jetta TDI MKIV Sedan: located in SE Indiana

jmblossom

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI MK4
For Sale: 2005 Jetta TDI Sedan
Mark IV body style with PD engine
Timing belt and water pump were replaced at approx 200,000 by the previous owner
Note: i do not have records of that job, but that is what i was told by him, and he seemed to be honest
Runs and drives, gets great fuel economy, over 40 mpg
Has nice window tinting, which is one of the many things about it that i really like
Selling because it is a project and unfortunately i don't have time to work on it
Silver, with black leather interior in good condition, non smoker
Clean title, in hand , ready to sign over to you.
Might be willing to meet someone half way to deliver the car to you.
Brand new Michelin energy saver a/s tires
Approx 241,000 miles, no rust, really in quite amazing condition, and well worth the work to make it top notch again!
Automatic tiptronic transmission, needs works, it shifts into upper gears only after it has warmed up, maybe needs a fluid flush or other work or replacement, and you probably know better than i do what should be done
Needs the brake vacuum pump replaced due to an oil leak, brand new part $200 value included with the car
Someone backed into the hood/front bumper and crunched it a little bit, very low speed impact, no other frame or body damage
Badgeless front grille on the car now, but have the original grille with the badge on it which comes with the car
I recently replaced the drivers side wheel bearing, ball joint, tie rod end. I have the same set of parts for the passengers side, which come with the car
I am open to offers, and i do want to sell this car. I have spent right around $2,800 on the car, and would like to get that back out of it if possible
Feel free to give me a call eight12 two12 seven715 leave a message if you want me to call you back.

jmblossom

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI MK4
Have had no bites on this car yet. Wanted to ask advice from all of you TDI fans out there about how to sell it? Very open to offers! Thank you!

Boraflux

Just my two cents...
A MK4 Jetta with PD engine and a failing tiptronic transmission is a tough sell. Although it's preferable to an 01M, it's still expensive to fix and not definitely not as popular as the manual. The $2800 price is higher than most people here are willing to pay. If you keep your eyes on the used market, you'll find functioning manual cars with similar miles selling that kind of money. I love these cars and lost a ton of money when I sold mine. It comes with the territory - especially if it's an auto.

jmblossom

TDI
2005 Jetta TDI MK4
Just my two cents...
A MK4 Jetta with PD engine and a failing tiptronic transmission is a tough sell. Although it's preferable to an 01M, it's still expensive to fix and not definitely not as popular as the manual. The $2800 price is higher than most people here are willing to pay. If you keep your eyes on the used market, you'll find functioning manual cars with similar miles selling that kind of money. I love these cars and lost a ton of money when I sold mine. It comes with the territory - especially if it's an auto.
Thank you very much for your input! I suppose I am resigned to loosing money on it and am just wondering what the best outlet is to find someone who wants it and needs it to restore it or at least for parts. Is this the place to list it or do you have any other advice? Thanks again!

Boraflux

I would try Facebook marketplace or Craigslist. I've seen a few cars sit in the tdiclub classifieds for a long time and get snatched up on other places. A couple years ago, when I listed my MK4 jetta it pulled a lot of interest, but the enthusiasts never stepped up the plate. A kid who really had no idea what the car was found it on craigslist and put up the cash. I regret selling it every day, but at the time I thought it made sense.

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
Use all the platforms to sell. Facebook, here and craigslist. Didn't see where you are from on a quick scan and putting location in the title on this forum will help. It could be a $200 car and I can't afford the trip if on the Coast vs a $2000 car within 100 miles from me.

Auto trannys suck and one that is failing is a harder sell. If from a rust free state you can advertise as that. Lots of these are getting rotten now.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
That transmission is easily fixed, it is most likely just the N92 solenoid (although that this point, I'd probably just do all the solenoids and splice in a new ATF temp sensor while in there, with new Jatco-approved ATF of course).

A little labor intensive to get in there, as the valve body cover is on the front, but not awful.

It would of course be worth more after this is fixed, as a lot of people get squeamish over automatic transmission issues.

Definitely not a part out situation! They are not making any more of these, and we cannot even buy a new version of one. We have to save as many as we can!

coalminer16

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf 2004
That transmission is easily fixed, it is most likely just the N92 solenoid (although that this point, I'd probably just do all the solenoids and splice in a new ATF temp sensor while in there, with new Jatco-approved ATF of course).

A little labor intensive to get in there, as the valve body cover is on the front, but not awful.

It would of course be worth more after this is fixed, as a lot of people get squeamish over automatic transmission issues.

Definitely not a part out situation! They are not making any more of these, and we cannot even buy a new version of one. We have to save as many as we can!
I don't think my wife will let me save anymore. We have 10 in various stages that could be saved.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
At any one given time, I am hovering around three undergoing some form of untooefment. Usually, but not always, they are diesels. I just finished bring a nice but somewhat neglected 2002 V6 Passat back from the brink. The tough part is, these cars are not worth a whole lot money wise, and it is a hard sell to tell a buyer that the car I am selling for $3500 is better than the 20+ on Craigslist just like it for $1500. But what I have to convince them of is that every $1500 car needs at least $2k worth of work, some much more. Each warning light on the dash, if on, could potentially be a $1500 repair. Having NO warning lights on is a plus with these.

At this point, it really becomes a labor of love. Which becomes a problem for me, because I get "attached" to them all, LOL. I think this is why old farm tractors are so popular. No titles, no taxes, no licensing, no insurance... all you need is space. So you can horde those like no tomorrow. I've just never really got into those as much as I have cars.