What did you do to your MKIV today?

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I installed new ecs tuning wide angle mirrors on my golf. I got them from the vortex brand new for a good deal. Tomorrow I am going to look at a mk4 jetta wagon for a friend. Sadly not tdi, but it's a really good deal.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 A6 TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI, 2014 Passat TDI
Well I finally dug into my suspension to find that pesky clunking noise. I guess when I built my struts the lower nut at the tower didn't get tightened all the way and has been clunking for some time. Also installed my rear shocks.... After 8 months lol

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon 5mt, 1982 Rabbit truck (gas)
Ran out of diesel a few miles from the diesel station. Would've made it except I did not anticipate that a long, steep grade on the 101 would tilt my tank enough to cut the fuel. Pushed it too far.

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Ran out of diesel a few miles from the diesel station. Would've made it except I did not anticipate that a long, steep grade on the 101 would tilt my tank enough to cut the fuel. Pushed it too far.
Haha trying to get to the 1k mile tank club eh?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Did the blend door fix on my '04. It is a pita getting the holes covered at the top of the doors. Worth the effort though. Hunting some other bits off FB marketplace. There are some wacky folk out there, lemme tells ya.
cheers,
Douglas

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Did the blend door fix on my '04. It is a pita getting the holes covered at the top of the doors. Worth the effort though. Hunting some other bits off FB marketplace. There are some wacky folk out there, lemme tells ya.
cheers,
Douglas
Ugh, I'm not looking forward to having to do this....

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Ugh, I'm not looking forward to having to do this....
It is not so bad. First out the console around the handbrake. Then loose and slide back the front bit. Then you can access all the glove box screws( there is one hiding down low and inboard). The rest is fairly easy. Don't stress out the forward shifter console mounts up front( in the footwells). They are self-contained sandwich style and you can drop the back that holds the screw clip on right off if you get to happy with it.

I would have made a movie, but it would have been X-rated for language everytime I ran into something frustrating.
cheers,
Douglas

Mozambiquer

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2004 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2012 Audi Q7 V6 TDI, 1998 VW Jetta TDI. 1982 VW Rabbit pickup, 2001 VW Jetta TDI, 2005 VW Passat wagon TDI X3, 2001 VW golf TDI, 1980 VW rabbit pickup,
I just went and picked up a mk4 jetta wagon. $500 with 173k miles. Sadly not a TDI. I need to figure out why it doesn't start though.

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha trying to get to the 1k mile tank club eh?
I was certainly inspired by the 1000 mile tank club but I wasn’t even close. Good to know that I can run out of fuel and the car will start up without priming the system, I guess.

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Ordered a Mk5 GLI steering wheel, and a single stage airbag for my '04 Jetta. Flat bottom, leather...just like the GTI's, but this a numbered one from a Fahrenheit edition.
cheers,
Douglas

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
Those are illegal in Texas as the way the law reads. It gives the popo a reason to pull you over.
In NJ, any plate frame is technically not allowed (but every car dealer puts them on anyway). That said, I want to keep the TDIClub frames and so far (touch wood), the very few times I've been pulled they've not mentioned the frames...

Considering it was only $12 and a 2 month wait to just get a fresh set with the same number, I think any "protection solution" will likely be more expensive than $12/19 years = $0.63/year for the new plates, if they last as long as the original set...

KrashDH

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Golf
Ordered a Mk5 GLI steering wheel, and a single stage airbag for my '04 Jetta. Flat bottom, leather...just like the GTI's, but this a numbered one from a Fahrenheit edition.
cheers,
Douglas
I saw a guy put a MkVI steering wheel on his MkIV, fully functional with airbag. I thought that looked awesome. Found it's pretty easy to find the wheels, it's just the airbags are $$$

sriracha

Veteran Member
TDI
Those are illegal in Texas as the way the law reads. It gives the popo a reason to pull you over.
Front license plates provide a nice target for cops using laser speed guns. I think this is one of their motives behind requiring front license plate. It is possible to purchase a clear license plate cover that is designed to scatter laser speed guns and make the target more difficult. Maybe this is why Texas bans these clear covers and maybe why the cops want a shiny reflective front license plate?

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I saw a guy put a MkVI steering wheel on his MkIV, fully functional with airbag. I thought that looked awesome. Found it's pretty easy to find the wheels, it's just the airbags are $$$
Did not see any Mk6 airbag stuff with a quick search. The 5 is quite nice, very like the Mk4 R32. The carbon Mk7 is quite another story... :D
cheers,
Douglas

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
In NJ, any plate frame is technically not allowed (but every car dealer puts them on anyway). That said, I want to keep the TDIClub frames and so far (touch wood), the very few times I've been pulled they've not mentioned the frames...

Considering it was only $12 and a 2 month wait to just get a fresh set with the same number, I think any "protection solution" will likely be more expensive than $12/19 years = $0.63/year for the new plates, if they last as long as the original set...
I recall the covers were popular on the rear plate. It kept people from stealing the little registration stickers. At some point the sticker was moved back to the front windshield so theft wasn't a problem.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Wow, well I can't say I've seen that an issue here, but we require both front and rear plate, both with stickers, but no real rules on plate covers or borders, as long as they aren't obstructive. Doesn't stop people from tinting their plate covers like they do with headlights and tail lights...

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
I did not look long...after finding the Mk5 bags came in two flavours, I figured the 6's would be all the wrong sort. They are just a bit wrong; they cost an arm and a leg...LOL They are nice wheels though, no doubt about it. Can't wait to get underway with my upgrade...and likely the same job for my son's car.
cheers,
Douglas

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Rotated tires. Completed an oil change. The threads on the drain pain stripped out - temporarily fixed to get it on the road so I could get to work but a new oil pan is in the near future to properly fix. Also replaced the starter. I knew the old one was weak but it's amazing how quick the car starts with a new starter in it.

yeahkkyle

TDI
2003 Jetta 5 speed
Cleaned the intake manifold on my 03 Jetta. Was done when I got the car at 152k and now has 209k. Surprised me how much it was clogged, also unsure how in depth the previous owner cleaned it. Been having a loss of power in the top end but that’s all back now that it’s opened back up. Took about 3.5 hrs total.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
I installed a plug on the outside of the front fairing with a weather seal for my frost heater......no more having to open my hood........now need to do this to my other three TDI’s.

Cptcrnch

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon; 2014 Golf TDI (buyback 7/26/17)
Get one of these. It's cheaper than redoing an oil pan.

You won't even have to jack up the car and it will even let you suck old oil from the oil cooler/filter area.
It's crossed my mind and what I have in there as a "temporary" fix is doing a great job. As much as I don't like getting under the car, I do like dropping the Panzer Plate every 10k miles and doing a visual inspection for any new problems that may have popped up since the last time I was under there. If anything I'm going to run what I have until the next oil change (which should be May/June with my current driving) and decide how to proceed. Next up is rear rotors/pads on the Jetta and front pads/rotors on my wife's Acura. I'm hoping to get both of those things done before the cold weather sets in as I really dislike wrenching in my apartment complex parking lot when its really cold lol.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Wow, well I can't say I've seen that an issue here, but we require both front and rear plate, both with stickers, but no real rules on plate covers or borders, as long as they aren't obstructive. Doesn't stop people from tinting their plate covers like they do with headlights and tail lights...
I know some plate covers sold here had some kind of coating that acted kinda like that 3M reflective tape - if photo radar or red light camera took a picture with a flash, it'd totally blow out / over-expose the license plate, making it unreadable (or at least, that was the theory).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I installed a plug on the outside of the front fairing with a weather seal for my frost heater......no more having to open my hood........now need to do this to my other three TDI’s.
Got some photos of what you did? Sounds like a good idea for the cold-weather crowd.

As for me, swapped on the winter tires; had to swap the rims, though, because I wanted the big deep, knobby Hankook iPikes on the Mk4 for going up to the ski hill, and the smoother-driving Conti WinterContact SSR on the MQB for highway trips.

Nero Morg

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I know some plate covers sold here had some kind of coating that acted kinda like that 3M reflective tape - if photo radar or red light camera took a picture with a flash, it'd totally blow out / over-expose the license plate, making it unreadable (or at least, that was the theory).
Mythbusters did an episode on that. Proved they all were not very effective. I have an idea. Don't speed? ;)